Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

I don't know of any. There is a hacked MR firmware available of sorts (if the people who do it like your face).
The firmware is based on the 1.60 release and is tagged 1.60a. The multi region hacks seem a bit of a faff, because, for BRs certainly, you have to set a specific region, so if you have a collection of discs, it’s a PITA because the player has to restart to implement the change. At least the MR DVD hack that’s available makes it true MR without the need to mess around with the remote every time you want to watch something!

Clem

In that case then maybe the best thing to do is try top menu and if it doesn't work after that, 1:1 dump the disc to an HDD or NAS etc and direct play it. A faff, but if the modchip are that much of a hassle then feel I may just go that way. I'm not sacrificing a juicy UB820 for a handful of discs. Hopefully I won't run in to many top menu averse discs!

I've just tried the top menu etc thing on Dredd blu ray region A and neither method worked. I couldnt get past the region error menu.

It would be handy to know which discs do work. There’s only one region A disc that I’d like to watch here in the UK, Extreme Job, a Korean film. It’s available on Amazon Video in the US, but not the UK. If I knew that the Top Menu trick would work I’d take a chance and buy it, but at getting in for £40 by the time that delivery charges have been added, it’s just too expensive a gamble.

Clem

...and if it doesn't work after that, 1:1 dump the disc to an HDD or NAS etc and direct play it.
Trouble with that is the UB (and Panny TVs) won't play lossless audio from ripped sources. Or does the modded firmware for the player allow it?

Yeah I noticed this last night. It will play video just fine. Anything with DTS THD, Atmos yadda yadda yadda it will play the video but no audio, or in the odd case, simply not play anything at all.

I found that a little disappointing, but at least have an Nvidia Shield as backup and my Synology NAS to play those off of.

Have to say though, initial impressions of the player are that it is genuinely magnificent. I'm so glad I spent the extra money on an 820. Watched a bit of Apocalypse Now 4K Final Cut last night (I got the 6 disc set recently) and my word, it is glorious. The audio alone never mind the picture quality, is outstanding. With the HCX in use the picture looked stunning. I loved all the nerdy data too that you can bring up.

Probably the major plus point for me though is how it handles 24P content. Not a single frame of judder, jitter, stutter or other nonsense was witnessed. My telly and the player worked in tandem like a beautiful symphony. It was very erotic. :laugh:

One last thing. I did try a couple of Region A discs too last night. I didn't even need to use the top menu trick, they just played. I found that odd. I'm going to try a few more and see how it goes. Hopefully I won't run in to major problems.

Overall though I'm absolutely delighted with the UB820. A lot of thanks is owed to the reviews and remarks I read across this forum over the past few weeks. I was going to just get something else, but in the end am very pleased I took a punt on a more expensive option, it's certainly been worth it so far.

It would be handy to know which discs do work. There’s only one region A disc that I’d like to watch here in the UK, Extreme Job, a Korean film. It’s available on Amazon Video in the US, but not the UK. If I knew that the Top Menu trick would work I’d take a chance and buy it, but at getting in for £40 by the time that delivery charges have been added, it’s just too expensive a gamble.

Clem

Could start up a spreadsheet somewhere and add to it? A community collaboration of sorts.

I happened to stumble across this one recently:

I have had this player for a week & I am pleased with it however I have started noticing little white dots during disc playback. I did read earlier in the thread someone else had a similar problem.

The above issue only appears on 4k HDR blu rays. SDR blu ray & Netflix HDR are not affected

The above issue only appears on 4k HDR blu rays. SDR blu ray & Netflix HDR are not affected
Sounds like your on the limit of what your HDMI cable can handle.

Agreed, little white dots are a sure sign you need a better cable. Although you could try dropping the bit depth on the UB820 HDMI settings. If 4:4:4, change to 4:2:2. If 12 bit, change to 10 bit. For 24p UHDs the lowest demands on the cable are 4:2:2 @10 bit. Highest demands 4:4:4 @12 bit.

A better cable should be able to handle all of these without issues. My amazon basics cables are fine with these and at the most demanding 4:4:4 @12 bit 50/60Hz

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. My ub700 had no issues with HDR blu ray. I ordered an 8k hdmi lead for £18 which has good reviews.

I did try changing the settings to 4.22 but it didn't fix the dot problem. Anyway i ordered an 8k hdmi lead for £18 from amazon with good reviews & the latest specs so hopefully that will fix the issue. My CX802 is an older HDR tv but i should be able to watch HDR without white dots. Thanks for you're help guys.

One last thing. I did try a couple of Region A discs too last night. I didn't even need to use the top menu trick, they just played. I found that odd. I'm going to try a few more and see how it goes. Hopefully I won't run in to major problems.
If you mean 4k discs... that's to be expected. These aren't region-locked, only HD discs.

Picked my new UB820 up on Tuesday. Generally very happy with it, but have noticed a really odd effect during playback of certain disks that I didn't experience with my previous Sony X700.
I expect there's a proper technical term for it, but it's like a "watery silhouette" effect on some moving images. Most noticeable during playback of Hacksaw Ridge when a squad of soldiers are marching from left to right across the screen.
Have ordered a better HDMI cable which should arrive today, I'll swap out and see if it's still the same.
But it's the same cable I used with my previous player, and had 100% with that..... :( :( :(

Last edited:
Good luck with you're new hdmi cable I hope it sorts the problem for you. My problem listed above didn't happen with my ub700 using my same old hdmi lead.

Good luck with you're new hdmi cable I hope it sorts the problem for you. My problem listed above didn't happen with my ub700 using my same old hdmi lead.

My problem is that I have recently upgraded both my receiver and my player, so it's tricky trying to pinpoint exactly where the issues are coming from......
I'll try the HDMI cable swap 1st, as that's the easiest, if that doesn't work I'll plug the X700 in again and see if I'm getting the same issues showing through that.
I never did play Hacksaw Ridge through the old player and receiver though, so a straight comparison is impossible..... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

If you mean 4k discs... that's to be expected. These aren't region-locked, only HD discs.

Nope. I played my Region A disc of Stunt Squad and also Patlabor Ultimate Collection. Both say Region A on them. 4K are all region free iirc?

Also someone above mentioned Amazon Basics cables. I had an issue with HDR not working correctly. It would get the flag for some things but not others.

I was using an earlier model of Amazon Basics cable, which incidentally was also rated at 18gbps. I ordered new cables a couple of weeks back, Amazon Basics again. The design is slightly different so I assume these must be the latest revision. Plugged them in and they worked perfectly.

One other thing I did before buying the new cables was to switch my Yamaha soundbar to 4:4:4 mode 1 and that got me working again. But as I said, some of my cables had to be replaced with new ones. The biggest tell was playing HDR content on my Shield. The telly picked up the HDR flag in Plex etc but apps like Prime and Netflix gave me 4K but not HDR. Most recent issue was with the football streams on Prime. I got UHD streams but no HDR flag. Slipped in new cables and voila, moist, buxom HDR goodness smelting my retinas with delight!

TLDR: Get the very latest Amazon Basics cables. They work great.

Let me know if you're HDMI lead sorts you're problem for you.
New HDMI was no good. Absolutely useless. Sparkle city.
Put the old one back in and changed to input No 2 (DVD) to try to eliminate a faulty input (No 3 Blu ray). Watching a film now, all seems ok

New HDMI was no good. Absolutely useless. Sparkle city.
Put the old one back in and changed to input No 2 (DVD) to try to eliminate a faulty input (No 3 Blu ray). Watching a film now, all seems ok

Thanks for reply, the white sparkles is the issue I also have. Amazon are delivering my hdmi lead on Saturday.

My white sparkles only show on HDR blu ray HDR Netflix plays ok & 1080p blu ray is ok

Did you're sparkling show on all sources?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom