Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Does anyone have the best picture settings to use on their UB420?
I pretty much had everything on Auto for picture settings and the picture was superb. I compared the picture side by side with a Sony x800 with its settings tweeked, identical content and hdmi cable and must say the auto out the box 420 was spot on for my 55 inch led. Guessing use with projectors may need a tweek or two?

just tried the same movies but on a usb 3.0 drive and a usb 3.0 hd and they both worked fine,the freezing happened on my usb 2.0 stick
Update!! movie froze off my usb 3.0 hd so not pleased ,any ideas anyone?
According to Panasonic, its a file format issue. They very efficiently replaced my dodgy unit and now it plays MKVs just fine providing the container doesn't have only hi-res audio in. As long as there is a lossy audio DD file all is good. Feed it anything else and it plays until the LFE kicks in and it freezes instantly. Only M2TS files will play flawlessly from the USB port (rear) with hi-res audio. As previously mentioned, neither Atmos nor DTSX are supported from file over usb. I downloaded a selection of test files, both mkv and M2TS with hi-res D-truehd, dts master, Atmos and DTSX and verified their comments. Still think its a superb bit of kit for the money though and ultimately, Atmos discs sound fab.....even the neighbours in a two mile radius agree!!!

Couldn't see this covered, but the player supports HDR10+ and Dolbyvision and also supports HDR to SDR conversion keeping the colour depth.

Does that mean that if I set the player to do the conversion I can get the benefit of HDR10+ or Dolby vision (i.e. per frame HDR metadata) on my projector which only supports HDR?

I guess I can go try it some evening when I have time but don't care for watching anything. I think Alien 4k has HDR10+ any scene to recommend?

Couldn't see this covered, but the player supports HDR10+ and Dolbyvision and also supports HDR to SDR conversion keeping the colour depth.

Does that mean that if I set the player to do the conversion I can get the benefit of HDR10+ or Dolby vision (i.e. per frame HDR metadata) on my projector which only supports HDR?

I guess I can go try it some evening when I have time but don't care for watching anything. I think Alien 4k has HDR10+ any scene to recommend?

No. SDR/BT2020 output mode will only tone map HDR10 to SDR/BT2020.

What's the difference in specs between the ub420 and the 820,has the 420 got hdr optimizer?

Any tips on where to get the 820 for a good deal less than the current asking price of 329. I was holding out hoping the price would drop, it went up instead...!

Any tips on where to get the 820 for a good deal less than the current asking price of 329. I was holding out hoping the price would drop, it went up instead...!
£287.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D9K6SC1/
Or use www.pricespy.co.uk

Alternatively wait until Panasonic ebay outlet has some more refurbished ones in, they go for around £220 (none available at the moment).
Panasonic DP-UB820EBK SMART 4K Ultra HD HDR Blu-ray Player WiFi Black 5025232878819 | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Update for the 820 today, firmware 1.60

Bit of a random one, but does anyone know if the backlit remote from the UB9000 (N2QAYA000172?) also works with the 820 ? I'm guessing it probably does, but to what extent?

Im using the previous 4k bluray player (4k that didnt have UHD 4k support) remote and it works perfectly, just doesnt have the HDR button. Same remote as the top UHD model without a couple of buttons

Bit of a random one, but does anyone know if the backlit remote from the UB9000 (N2QAYA000172?) also works with the 820 ? I'm guessing it probably does, but to what extent?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpeg
    s-l1600.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 137
New firmware version 1.60 installed today on my 820. Not sure what it does and can’t find anything after googling. Anyone have any idea?

Yes, the UB9000 remote works perfectly with the UB820. The UB900 remote works but does not have the HDR button.

Anyone here tried playing 2001 a space Odyssey on their 420? Mine absolutely refuses to play. Works flawlessly on my Xbox one s tho. I will try and update to latest firmware to see if that fixes it.

Edit, update to 1.60 from 1.51 did indeed fix the problem.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago I got my 3rd Panasonic 820 player and all was good until the firmware update a few days ago, now no disks play on my 820 (again), yet this firmware update was to improve stability of the system.. I have now aranged for a 4th and last 820 player.

I have always had Panasonic because the quality and reliability has always been outstanding, if I get any further problems the I am going to have to consider a different manufacturer as I am unable to afford the flagship UB9000. I am just glad I purchased from RS, as they have also found the same issues when they tested my previous players and gave a replacement.

I have had my FZ802 Oled checked out to ensure the HDMI terminals are ok and system test, we even did a full factory reset back to shipping condition to play safe, ( yes I lost all my settings) I have upgraded the HDMI leads from high speed with Ethernet, to Premium Certified 4K.

I cannot understand why Panasonic Oled's are outstanding quality, yet their 4k players are so temperamental and full of issues. Clearly they have the (A Team) on the Oled's, and the (B Team) on the 4K Players, or should I say the (apprentice's) :devil:
Panasonic sort yourselves out !!

And in a shocking turn of events Panasonic just released the HDR10+ firmware update for their 2017/18 LCD TV range, only one and a half years after it was promised :laugh:

I might have to consider replacing my good ol' UB700 now...

Just done the firmware update on my UB420 and the red power light is just constantly flashing now.

Not responding to remote power down either.

Held power button on player which did turn it off, but still flashing red light when powered on. Nothing onscreen on all.

Just done the firmware update on my UB420 and the red power light is just constantly flashing now.

Not responding to remote power down either.

Held power button on player which did turn it off, but still flashing red light when powered on. Nothing onscreen on all.

Hope you have better luck then me.
After the update on my 820 I tried to play a disc, but the onscreen message said (reading disc), but the player display said (stop). No buttons worked on the player or the remote, so I had no choice but to power off on the mains.
Something is going wrong with this update

Hope you have better luck then me.
After the update on my 820 I tried to play a disc, but the onscreen message said (reading disc), but the player display said (stop). No buttons worked on the player or the remote, so I had no choice but to power off on the mains.
Something is going wrong with this update
I unplugged and left it for half an hour. This seems to have resolved it.

I find firmware updates take ages to complete. The player looks like it's frozen but does eventually finish installing after what must be 30ish mins.

Does anyone have issues playing Amazon HDR10+ via the player?
Mine has the optimizer engaged and Amazon does not switch it off nor display the HDR10+ logo.
I can only assume that the player's app does not pass 10+ through.
It plays and displays HDR10+ blurays fine: disables the optimizer and displays hdr10+ logo on the screen info. None of this happens for Amazon's HDR content.
Or am I missing something fundamental I have to do in settings?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom