Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

The 820 has just risen in price by £40 at both Richer Sounds and John Lewis so that may be the deal breaker for you unless you want to wait to see if it drops before the end of "Summer Sales".
i just checked richer sounds and its down to £329,£20 off.

20 off RRP but it was 289 last week. Sony x800 still at 210 and x700 cheaper again if you want Dolby vision.

ive played 1 full 4k mkv no problem the next 2 i tried froze about half way though
just tried the same movies but on a usb 3.0 drive and a usb 3.0 hd and they both worked fine,the freezing happened on my usb 2.0 stick
Update!! movie froze off my usb 3.0 hd so not pleased ,any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
The reason I think the 820 is up in price is due to low stocks, R/S are waiting for a big delivery from Panasonic, the R/S w/house has no stock. You will probably find the same with other retailers like J/L, but you might have better luck from a smaller retailer is you are quick.

Anyone have a fix for Netflix on ub820 being slightly out of sync?

Does anyone know if the 420 has disc memory? Loving the image from this player but it’s driving me nuts not being able to pick up where i left off on a disc.

Does anyone know if the 420 has disc memory? Loving the image from this player but it’s driving me nuts not being able to pick up where i left off on a disc.
Mine does, well most of the time, if its near the end of the film it sometimes doesn't ask.

Mine does, well most of the time, if its near the end of the film it sometimes doesn't ask.
That’s weird, is it a setting you have to turn on? Or do you need a usb stick plugged in?

That’s weird, is it a setting you have to turn on? Or do you need a usb stick plugged in?
I don't have a stick plugged in and can't remember if there is a setting, I'm not around until the weekend so can't check just yet.

ive played 1 full 4k mkv no problem the next 2 i tried froze about half way though
are you plugging the sticks in the back or front? Specs show USB2 front USB3 back.

Mine definitely isn’t saving the spot on the disc, surely others must have experience with this?

Confused about what settings I should be using on the LG OLED C9 with the UB820

The LG has dynamic tone mapping, but should that be off if I am using the HDR optimiser?

It's directly connected to the TV. Me and my wife watched 'Fast and Furious' (4th one) on UHD tonight and it looked a bit too dark in a lot of scenes. Not sure it was the cinematography or the settings.

Confused about what settings I should be using on the LG OLED C9 with the UB820

The LG has dynamic tone mapping, but should that be off if I am using the HDR optimiser?

It's directly connected to the TV. Me and my wife watched 'Fast and Furious' (4th one) on UHD tonight and it looked a bit too dark in a lot of scenes. Not sure it was the cinematography or the settings.
Up to yourself and to taste really. HDR Optimiser only works on light/highlights >1,000 nits for Oleds and doesn't touch darks. LG Dynamic tone mapping will produce similar results to Optimiser but also affects all of the picture range. Darks as well as lights.

I have my UB820 going through an AVR which in turn outputs to two HDMI ports on my E8.
Both have viewing modes set up identically except one port has dynamic tone mapping on and one doesn't so I can easily flip between the two to compare. My default is to watch without tone mapping as I prefer how that looks most of the time irrespective of whether HDR Optimiser is doing anything.

If a disc looks too dark you could use the picture controls on the UB820 to change things. You have more settings which can be fine tuned than with LG dynamic tone mapping.
DRA, Tone Curve Black, and System Gamma can all be used to lighten a too dark picture.

Last edited:
just purchased this today. Can anyone recommend good picture settings or is there a post with settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_155744.jpg
    IMG_20190714_155744.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
When I play 2D Blu ray discs in my Panasonic DP-UB391EBK, the TV says its outputying in 4K but when I'm watching a 3D Disc, its says 1080p. Is this normal?

Regards

When I play 2D Blu ray discs in my Panasonic DP-UB391EBK, the TV says its outputying in 4K but when I'm watching a 3D Disc, its says 1080p. Is this normal?

Regards

Regards
Yes 3D disks won't output in 4K only 1080p

It is being upscaled. The player outputs 3D at 1080p and the TV upscales it to 2160p, otherwise you'd be watching a picture a quarter of the size :smashin:.

Correct, but read the original post, the player can't output 3D any higher than 1080p (x2).

Mine definitely isn’t saving the spot on the disc, surely others must have experience with this?
I'm pretty sure this ability is title specific. I.e. some discs will remember, others won't, depending on whether it's a feature of the disc. I remember reading this before somewhere, and it was mentioned that only certain studios implement this feature into blu ray discs.

I'm pretty sure this ability is title specific. I.e. some discs will remember, others won't, depending on whether it's a feature of the disc. I remember reading this before somewhere, and it was mentioned that only certain studios implement this feature into blu ray discs.
Also to do with the Java runtime environment the disc is using AFAIK. It's often older blu-rays that don't have re-start capabilities. New ones and especially UHDs usually have a resume feature.

I even get 'this disc has been played before, do you want to resume' message displayed on new discs just out the shrink wrap which have never been played...:confused:
From this I deduce my UB820 has wibbly wobbly, timey wimey abilities and is receiving information from it's future self when I had played the disc :smashin::)

Last edited:
As I have been building a collection from older titles this could explain it, new movies watched in the ub420 are the fly 1986 and zero dark thirty.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom