Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

fallinlight

Managed to get one from the Panasonic Outlet (Ebay) today - woohoo :clap:

Any setup tips etc? Must own 4k disks?

Is it recommended to run dual HDMI outputs (AMP / TV) or single?
There were two refurbs up for a smacking price this morning, I trust you snagged one of those, nice one!

I am not aware of a difference or benefit for running a separate HDMI for audio and did not notice a difference when I tried it with my Sony X700 - but this was not for the purposes of listening based audio tests.

Make sure you first set the Panny to the display luminance setting which matches your display. I would advise leaving any post processing settings such as edge sharpening at zero if you want to preserve the image as close as to mastered and intended.

My current personal main 4K UHD reference/ test discs are Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner (1983), Mad Max: Fury Road, Avengers Infinity War/ Endgame and Planet Earth II. But you will find that 2049 and Fury Road are cited as reference, along with ones like Sicario and I think Planet Earth II.

Some of my favourite experiences thus far in terms of image and audio have been all of the above, as well as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Hacksaw Ridge, Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame, The Lion King, and most recently Escape from New York and Predator (1987). There are a lot of 4k UHDs out there now - have fun!

Mogli

There were two refurbs up for a smacking price this morning, I trust you snagged one of those, nice one!

I am not aware of a difference or benefit for running a separate HDMI for audio and did not notice a difference when I tried it with my Sony X700 - but this was not for the purposes of listening based audio tests.

Make sure you first set the Panny to the display luminance setting which matches your display. I would advise leaving any post processing settings such as edge sharpening at zero if you want to preserve the image as close as to mastered and intended.

My current personal main 4K UHD reference/ test discs are Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner (1983), Mad Max: Fury Road, Avengers Infinity War/ Endgame and Planet Earth II. But you will find that 2049 and Fury Road are cited as reference, along with ones like Sicario and I think Planet Earth II.

Some of my favourite experiences thus far in terms of image and audio have been all of the above, as well as Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver, Hacksaw Ridge, Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame, The Lion King, and most recently Escape from New York and Predator (1987). There are a lot of 4k UHDs out there now - have fun!
Yep :thumbsup: I have been watching the Ebay outlet for a few weeks. Glad I managed to snag one in time for the weekend.

Thanks for the pointers - much appreciated.

Assume Amazon is the best place for UHDs?

youngsyp

Yep :thumbsup: I have been watching the Ebay outlet for a few weeks. Glad I managed to snag one in time for the weekend.

To answer a previous question, there's no need to run separate HDMI cables for video and audio, unless you have no choice (non HDMI 2.0b/ HDCP 2.2 AVR).
You should make sure you use Premium Certified HDMI cables. Not to be confused with an other type with 'premium' included in their title/ description. There's some cheap Monoprice, Premium Certified 3M cables available through Amazon for about £6.99 each.

As for best place to buy UHD BD's, probably the classifieds here or zoom.co.uk, as they always have 10% off vouchers. Amazon is usually not the cheapest place to buy them from.

Paul

fallinlight

It depends on your shopping style. I favour Amazon a lot for service, speed and customer service, and lately, promotions and offers. My preference however, is purchasing in person from CeX, where I can build a voucher and use that, plus ensure I inspect the discs in person beforehand if I want, plus ensure I definitely get the slip cover, for applicable titles. Sometimes the Amazon copies are missing their respective slip cover.

Also, if you want to get some of the 3D + 4K discs versions, you often have to import the films from other regions, usually in Europe. It is a shame that they no longer include the 3D disc with 4K releases, at least I have not seen any of late. I am a die hard PAL owner and 3D disc fan (as well as PAL video games collector), so I fork out for the separate 3D copies when I can, as well as the 4K copies.

Have fun.

fallinlight

To answer a previous question, there's no need to run separate HDMI cables for video and audio, unless you have no choice (non HDMI 2.0b/ HDCP 2.2 AVR).
@Mogli, just know that there is know that there is no such thing as a 4K HDMI lead, or anything else suppliers will tout a HDMI as, it is all simply false and mis-leading marketing techniques to make more money. The currently exists only two standards of HDMI, the slower pre-high speed HDMI standard, and current high-speed HDMI. Anything within the past 10 or so years will ouput 4K HDR, 60 Hz etc etc, so long as you do not need a long run, say around 6 meters or more. That said, my now defunct 10 m high-speed KableDirekt HDMI lead worked fine from my JVCs to my receivers. Of all the dozens of HDMI I have owned in the past 13 or so years, I have only had to discard a few that did not display 4K video properly.

fallinlight

fallinlight

You should make sure you use Premium Certified HDMI cables. Not to be confused with an other type with 'premium' included in their title/ description. There's some cheap Monoprice, Premium Certified 3M cables available through Amazon for about £6.99 each.
Dear @Mogli, again, be careful here too. The Premium certification means nothing more than Panasonic slapping the THX certification on their UB9000; it provides the exact same image as the 820. Similar goes for the Dolby certification for Atmos enabled speakers. PSB forwent this extra cost in the creation of their great (I found them to be consistently great in my room) Imagine XA modules. The HDMI 'Premium' branding is a 'guarantee' of something that is already guaranteed if you simply purchase any high-speed HDMI lead.

To date, Amazon Basics high-speed HDMI leads have been the best I have tried, and they are the cheapest I have found of late. I am really impressed by their sturdy connection to the inputs/ outputs and their build quality I have found to be top. I try and avoid loose connections when possible, especially ones where the lead sags from the socket, such as my defunct Kabledirect leads. Though, I think part of this may also have to do with the quality and fit of a HDMI input/ output socket, too.

Last edited:

youngsyp

The currently exists only two standards of HDMI, the slower pre-high speed HDMI standard, and current high-speed HDMI.
I think you're addressing the wrong person, for your quotes.

However, the two types of HDMI cable are Premium High Speed HDMI and Premium High Speed HDMI with Ethernet. Not was you state.
Dear @Mogli, again, be careful here too. The Premium certification means nothing more than Panasonic slapping the THX certification on their UB9000
It's a little more than that. Please have a read of this.

It is a 'guarantee' of something that is already guaranteed if you simply purchase any high-speed HDMI lead.
Again, please refer to the page I've linked.

Paul

fallinlight

I think you're addressing the wrong person, for your quotes.

However, the two types of HDMI cable are Premium High Speed HDMI and Premium High Speed HDMI with Ethernet. Not was you state.
It's a little more than that. Please have a read of this.

Again, please refer to the page I've linked.

Paul
I read that a few days ago. It does not change anything about what a high-speed HDMI lead is, which contains everything you already need to transmit a 4K signal with all the current standards. Thus, I believe it is just another money making marketing tool.

There is huge misconception around HDMI still. It is extremely simple, as far as I am aware, there exists only high speed HDMI leads and older HDMI leads that are not high speed. I understand that the only exception perhaps, is when you need longer HDMI runs between your equipment, and would need to opt for fibre HDMI leads, over copper. But I am not 100% positive about the ins and outs of that and your experience may vary, as my 10 m Kabledirekt lead worked fine from my JVCs to my receivers.

I used to be very confused and recently got hung up and stressed for a couple of days when I was searching and researching all day long for 'new' or 'better HDMI leads to try and fix a problem (that turned out to be a faulty pressed UHD disc). Then I learned what I think is true about HDMI leads - I am no expert - but the above is what I believe. I got into things like is it 2.0 or 1.4b or 1.4a and 60 Hz this and that. I think it is best to simply separate it into what exists for HDMI leads, which I understand simply as either high-speed or not.

Last edited:

youngsyp

I read that a few days ago. It does not change anything about what a high-speed HDMI lead is, which contains everything you already need to transmit a 4K signal with all the current standards. Thus, I believe it is just another money making marketing tool.

There is huge misconception around HDMI still. It is extremely simple, as far as I am aware, there exists only high speed HDMI leads and older HDMI leads that are not high speed.
I think you miss the point.

Anyone can (and does) produce and sell HDMI cables and call the High Speed cables, that doesn't automatically mean they can support data transmission at up to 18Gb/s. That's what the Premium Certification program is for.

You can also buy Premium Certified cables for less than a non Premium Certified cable, much less in some circumstances. So I don't see how it's a money making marketing tool either.

Paul

Add websites like Hotukdeals to that, too and you'll be good.
Done ;)

Feel free to post any others I'm missing in that thread and I'll update the op.

fallinlight

I think you miss the point.

Anyone can (and does) produce and sell HDMI cables and call the High Speed cables, that doesn't automatically mean they can support data transmission at up to 18Gb/s. That's what the Premium Certification program is for.

You can also buy Premium Certified cables for less than a non Premium Certified cable, much less in some circumstances. So I don't see how it's a money making marketing tool either.

Paul
If someone chooses to purchase my 'Premium Certified' lead, over your 'non-certified lead', which would be many, with the current misconception about HDMI and AV standards, then who gets more money? Me. Thus, that is how it is a money making marketing tool. It works the same as any similar type of branding on a product designed to control the market share and generate revenue. I do not see what is so hard to understand about such things.

Manufacturers have had a field day with HDMI for years and many poor consumers suffer at the end of it.

Last edited:

youngsyp

If someone chooses to purchase my 'Premium Certified' lead, over your 'non-certified lead', which would be many, with the current misconception about HDMI and AV standards, then who gets more money? Me.
If I produce both types of cable, me. Most manufacturers, as far as I can tell, sell both types. So you're argument isn't a sound one.
And to add, in your scenario, the consumer still wins as those producing non Premium Certified cables will be forced to join the program, eventually, and we all get cables we know will do what they're advertised to do.
So again, you've missed the point, for the sake of being cynical.
I've had numerous High Speed HDMI cables not work correctly with the modern video formats. However, I've not had a single issue with Premium Certified HDMI cables. So I use my experience to attempt to help others.

Paul

Mogli

Thanks for the input everyone - really appreciated.

IIRC - when I purchased my cables from Amazon (not basics but not dissimilar) were certified high speed with internet. I will try few discs over the weekend and report back.

fallinlight

If I produce both types of cable, me. Most manufacturers, as far as I can tell, sell both types. So you're argument isn't a sound one.
And to add, in your scenario, the consumer still wins as those producing non Premium Certified cables will be forced to join the program, eventually, and we all get cables we know will do what they're advertised to do.
Fair points, OK. But I still believe they are advertised correctly as is, as 'high-speed', which is all most of us need.

So again, you've missed the point, for the sake of being cynical.
I could say the same of you, for the sake of being optimistic, though; thus, who is being most realistic? Thus, it is different strokes here as I see it, since we have both had different experiences, right? "eventually, and we all get cables we know will do what they're advertised to do", yes, if you have had experiences such as yours. So, yes, I trust and respect your experience and what you say. I have simply experienced different, alongside that of THX and Dolby certifications. So, I also try to always come from my experience to learn and help others.

Hey, again, I am no expert and I am happy to be wrong and I humbly drop my hat and say that I might be in this case. And perhaps I am a little a little cynical, sure, but it is certainly not the worst thing at all in this regard. Since, the great takeaway - and to put positivity into the argument- is that as you say, prices are the same or cheaper, and everyone gets to purchase what they want at a fair price, that is good end of the line to me. I still believe it is a marketing tool from my personal experience but I completely honour your opinion and experience, too.

fallinlight

Thanks for the input everyone - really appreciated.

IIRC - when I purchased my cables from Amazon (not basics but not dissimilar) were certified high speed with internet. I will try few discs over the weekend and report back.
Honestly, I was almost into believing - hey, I might be wrong but that is just what I believe - in the Premium Certification, and I felt assured, especially after being confused with all the marketing specifications. Perhaps it is true, I just have not experienced anything to push me to purchase one with the certification. But after some further research coupled with my experience, I look a leap of faith, as it were, like Indiana, and went for the Amazon Basics. I am happy. Buy the Premium Certified HDMI lead(s) if you feel too, man.

:thumbsup:

youngsyp

I have simply experienced different, alongside that of THX and Dolby certifications.
This I completely agree is marketing guff. And to a similar degree with 'Netflix Certified' picture mode etc. However, I do think the latter does have a benefit for Joe Public but, I'll not go into that here.

Paul

fallinlight

This I completely agree is marketing guff. And to a similar degree with 'Netflix Certified' picture mode etc. However, I do think the latter does have a benefit for Joe Public but, I'll not go into that here.

Paul
Sure. There are simply perhaps areas of AV I have not tapped into, too, which would determine me thinking differently.

It's all cool, Paul. I hope you are having a pleasant and peaceful afternoon.

Warm wishes,

fallinlight

simon194

Dear @Mogli, again, be careful here too. The Premium certification means nothing more than Panasonic slapping the THX certification on their UB9000; it provides the exact same image as the 820. Similar goes for the Dolby certification for Atmos enabled speakers. PSB forwent this extra cost in the creation of their great (I found them to be consistently great in my room) Imagine XA modules.
I have to agree regarding the Imagine XA's. Excellent speakers if can't fit ceiling speakers and have a room with a not too high flat ceiling.

8abel8

Hi all, wondered if anyone can help...

I have a UB420 and when streaming from Netflix (on Ultrahd plan) 4k material comes up as 4K Ultrahd and not HDR. I have tried the player connected to my samsung ks8000 (normally connected to Denon AVR 3500h in passthru mode to a JVC D-ILA x7900) incase it was a display issue and still no HDR. I know I can get HDR via the Netflix App on the Samsung TV and that works fine, so not a network/internet issue or display issue, it seems to be the player. Does anyone have any ideas? Any setting I should be looking at? 4k Blu-rays are fine.

Cheers.

Thatsnotmynaim

Honestly, I was almost into believing - hey, I might be wrong but that is just what I believe - in the Premium Certification, and I felt assured, especially after being confused with all the marketing specifications. Perhaps it is true, I just have not experienced anything to push me to purchase one with the certification. But after some further research coupled with my experience, I look a leap of faith, as it were, like Indiana, and went for the Amazon Basics. I am happy. Buy the Premium Certified HDMI lead(s) if you feel too, man.

:thumbsup:
Premium Certified - These cables are independently tested, I'm not saying each one, but maybe the design and maybe random ones etc.. What you get with Prem Cert cables is a guarantee that it has been tested and will do full fat 18gbps, whether you need it or not. You know this as you see the ‘Premium Certified’ title and hologram badge you can check with an app. Some people only watch 1080p or [email protected] so only use 9/10gb and will gladly say the cable bought from The Trotters works 100% for 4k maybe not realising they’re not testing the cables full capability and whilst it works for them, it may not work for other such as gamers using [email protected] with HDR…

Length - Now short cables, say 1-2m don't necessarily need to be certified as it's not too tricky to make a short cable carry 18gbps. I've bought loads of Amazon Basic 18gbps cables and they have all worked fine at 1-2m. As they get longer however it gets more critical, the 2m-5m is probably the danger zone and above 5m can be cowboy territory.. :) I’ve also bought 10m Amazon Redmere Active cables and have not managed to get a single one working consistently at full fat 18gb with my Arcam AVR & JVC PJ, it sometimes worked, sometimes didn’t or it did and I got long handshakes or sparkles in the picture. I could get them to work at 4k with an Epson TW9300 but the Epson is not 18gb. I got it to work at 18gb with an Optima but maybe the Optima is less critical or errors. So different kit can have different tolerances of substandard cables which may not help identify quality cables..

Cost - As already said the P.C. cables don't need to cost a fortune so even with short ones 1-2m why not buy P.C.? One thing I do know is that there are plenty of reasonably priced P.C. cables in 1-2m, and even up to 5m there's a number. What is very reassuring is that you will not find many non-fake P.C. cables over 5m as they get hard to make, and I've not seen Amazon themselves selling a single P.C. cable that is over 7m.

Fakes - A little concerning is, on Amazon for instance, is you see many P.C. cables, and a number over 5m, but if you select Amazon as the seller you get maybe 1, so what is worrying is that some non-Amazon sellers on Amazon (including Prime eligible) may be selling cables as P.C. cables, but they ‘may’ be fakes. I don't know if this is true, but a few reviews suggest it.

How to spot fakes – This may not be too hard if you have the cable to hand, you can download the 'HDMI Premium' app and scan the QR code so see if that helps identify. Some I’ve tested using their logo on Amazon say they are fake or the logo is the demo logo (sample scan for demo purposes to prove the app works not the cable), probably doesn’t mean a thing unless you do this with the cable in hand, but demonstrates the app works.

Recommendation – If you need 18gb, and some don’t right now, but if you need it or want to futureproof, I would suggest 1-2m buy ‘Premium Certified’ or a good trusted make people know works like Amazon Basics, if not P.C. then when you get it test it using a [email protected]/60hz with HDR sample. 2-5m I would suggest only proper P.C. cables and make sure it is not a fake using the app. 5-7m a P.C. may be ok, but definitely check it’s not a fake, else to be safe go Fibre at ~£35+ or just wing it if your kit isn’t too sensitive. Over 7m I'd definitely only recommend using Fibre full stop...

:)

Scoutfinch

Novice Member
Hi there,

Couple of questions:

1) Does the ub 420 play Atmos via both a 4K disc that has it and apps like Netflix and Prime, as I see a local retailer is selling it and in some ways it is as good for the price as the new 450 model given the HDR optimiser function?

2) Related to this, if not I am thinking of getting a 5.1 Atmos AV or soundbar at some stage, do you still a 4K player that plays Atmos to hear the sound or can the sound be heard still via the AV equipment?

Thanks in advance.

fallinlight

The Panny will play Atmos from a 4K disc. Not sure about Netflix, I read of issues there in the past.

The HDR optimiser is a unique function of the Panny and I have found it to be very worthwhile. But I am now using Kodi + madVR as my main player.

You just need to ensure your player can bitstream Dolby TrueHD to your receiver. TrueHD is simply a container for Atmos; Atmos is contained within it. Your receiver must of course be able to decode TrueHD. Your UB420 can decode and bitsream TrueHD.

Without knowing the connections on the back of the 420, I assume you will be bitstreaming to your AVR.

Does the ub 420 play Atmos via 4K disc that has it
Atmos on disc just requires the player to be able to be able to bitstream output which I'm pretty sure every player can do. Some just don't advertise Atmos capability. Set the player to bitstream and secondary audio off and you will get Atmos/DTS-X from discs that contain it.
and apps like Netflix and Prime
This is a problem area. Officially, the answer is no, the Panasonic players don't support Atmos from Netflix/Prime, but it does work for some users. Some people get Atmos on Netflix and not Prime and others vice versa, some cant get Atmos from the streaming services at all. It seems to be AVR dependant with Denon/Marantz and newer Yamaha models able to get it. Bear in mind that the streaming services apps are locked at 60hz on the Panasonic players which is why most don't use them.
in some ways it is as good for the price as the new 450 model given the HDR optimiser function?
Given the 450 lacks the HDR optimisation options of the 420, I'd say the newer model is a downgrade.
Related to this, if not I am thinking of getting a 5.1 Atmos AV or soundbar at some stage, do you still a 4K player that plays Atmos to hear the sound or can the sound be heard still via the AV equipment?
I'm not quite sure if I've understood this question correctly, but if your asking if the Atmos AVR can create Atmos from content that doesn't have it the answer is mostly yes. The AVR will have upmixing modes that attempt to recreate an Atmos/X soundtrack from regular content, and they are very good at it.

Scoutfinch

Novice Member
Thanks very helpful.

It seems most 4K BD players support Atmos. What I was asking, is if the player for any reason did not support Atmos but a disc was encoded with Atmos, would the AV System still decode the Atmos?

I ask about the sound as I currently have the Xbox which has an Atmos app which support the sound format via Netflix and discs.

Moreover, I know the Xbox is never going to be as good as standalone players, but I was shocked when comparing the 2049 Blade Runner picture on Netflix to my 4K disc via the Xbox which was far less brighter on the disc and less impactful. Reviews never seems to pick this up as most just probably compared players against players rather than high quality 4K content like on Netflix where content to most viewers may not be far off the disc.

Bottom line, I don't want to spend loads of £ for a player that doesn't improve the picture that much.

It seems most 4K BD players support Atmos. What I was asking, is if the player for any reason did not support Atmos but a disc was encoded with Atmos, would the AV System still decode the Atmos?
If for some reason the player was unable to bitstream the sound (again I'm 99% certain that all players can do this without issue) then your AVR would be receiving a PCM signal which could then be upmixed by the Dolby Surround decoder. This will engage the Atmos speakers and attempt to create an Atmos track from the 5/7.1 PCM signal received. This is very good sounding but it is not the same as the actual Atmos track on the disc.
Bottom line, I don't want to spend loads of £ for a player that doesn't improve the picture that much.
I came from an Xbox to a Panasonic player and can confidently say you wont be disapointed with the change.

panman40

Distinguished Member
I know I’ve asked before but didn’t get a response, when will Panasonic be replacing the ub820 with a new model ?.

Scoutfinch

Novice Member
Very help and complete response 494930. Many thanks for addressing my points, if only the world of social media was more like that and there would be less outrage and statements made without supporting knowledge and facts in our world! Thank you...I will update you when I purchase and test it.

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung Galaxy S10 bug unlocks phone for anyone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple TV app now available on Roku devices
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces 360 Reality Audio tracks available in Autumn
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Google Stadia and Pixel Buds launch dates announced