Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

I've only owned my 820 for a few weeks. Im asking if any disc in the past have had this issue? Donnie Darko 4k plays fine on all Sony player's and a few Oppo and LG players. Won't play correctly on all Panny models, some LG and both ps5 and series x
The disk seems like it's running around 5 FPS. Very jerky affects the whole film.

I've only owned my 820 for a few weeks. Im asking if any disc in the past have had this issue? Donnie Darko 4k plays fine on all Sony player's and a few Oppo and LG players. Won't play correctly on all Panny models, some LG and both ps5 and series x
The disk seems like it's running around 5 FPS. Very jerky affects the whole film.
Not UHDs.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

Is there a simple explanation of model features that explains why I should buy the UB 820 instead of the UB420? I've read that the UB820 does Dolby Vision, but the 420 does not.

Is this important for a projector set up though?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask...

Is there a simple explanation of model features that explains why I should buy the UB 820 instead of the UB420? I've read that the UB820 does Dolby Vision, but the 420 does not.

Is this important for a projector set up though?
No, don't think PJs have Dolby Vision.
Both the UB420 and the UB820 have HDR Optimiser which may prove useful for PJ use so are equal in that regard.
Only thing the UB820 adds are the analogue outputs and Dolby Vision. If you don't have a need for either of these get the UB420 (if you can still find one).

Sounds like issues with DD disc itself

DP-UB9000/UB9004, DP-UB820/UB824, DP-UB420/UB424 Consumer Complaints

I decided to collect all the complaints about Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players.
Stacey Spears, Spears & Munsil, will forward the following to Panasonic Corporation.
All complaints will be forwarded to the Chief Engineer of Panasonic's Blu-ray player team.

I'm asking owners on this forum, please post your complaint/s in this thread.
I will read/write/update this daily until 05/31/2021, May 31st, 2021.

I have posted this on AVSforum, AVforums and Blu-ray.com.

UPDATE: DOCUMENT COMPLETED!

Attn. Panasonic Corporation - Consumer Complaints
docs.google.com/document/d/1d-sAd9ozPTH5SR190PV4lhT8zsvaEEGoZqSWEkOutSI/

Last Updated: 24/04/2022
Sadly, due to Panasonic's lack of response, this endeavour has been ended.
There will be no further participation in this document and/or matter from my end.
The document cannot be made available for anyone else to access, it has been deleted.

Sent to the Chief Engineer of Panasonic's Blu-ray player team as of 06/05/2021, June 5th, 2021.
Updates will be posted as soon as they are available,
if they're available.

DP-UB9000 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...-no-price-talk.3040552/page-112#post-60743649
DP-UB820/
824 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...-no-price-talk.2990966/page-474#post-60743875
DP-UB420 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/pa...r-now-available.3092076/page-50#post-60752005

DP-UB9000 - https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...r-owners-thread.2152448/page-66#post-29270902
DP-UB820/420 - https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...-owners-thread.2169164/page-153#post-29271190
DP-UB9000/820 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18909413#post18909413

Last edited:
Can you flag that there is an issue with the EDID that prevents LPCM pass through on the 820
Passthrough?

There are no inputs on the UB820 that I'm aware of, you must mean sending regular LPCM?
LPCM is not a format, per se, but the player can most likely convert to this from codecs.
In example, you could probably convert to LPCM from DTS-HD MA, TrueHD etc.
This, prior to sending the audio signal down the path to an A/V receiver.

You have issues sending this LPCM to your receiver?
For passthrough, you would require an input source via a cable at the back, I think.
I just want to be 100% clear on what you mean, so that the feedback is properly sent.

Can you flag that there is an issue with the EDID that prevents LPCM pass through on the 820
Add to the list that Panasonic is not publishing updated firmware. New 820s come with firmware version 1.64 installed, but the latest on the Panasonic website, when I last looked, was still version 1.60. Why can’t existing owners have access to the latest code?

Add to the list that Panasonic is not publishing updated firmware. New 820s come with firmware version 1.64 installed, but the latest on the Panasonic website, when I last looked, was still version 1.60. Why can’t existing owners have access to the latest code?
It's already been added to the list, point #10.
I'm in the process of making a more detailed, more complete document, will publish in the next days.

Passthrough?

There are no inputs on the UB820 that I'm aware of, you must mean sending regular LPCM?
LPCM is not a format, per se, but the player can most likely convert to this from codecs.
In example, you could probably convert to LPCM from DTS-HD MA, TrueHD etc.
This, prior to sending the audio signal down the path to an A/V receiver.

You have issues sending this LPCM to your receiver?
For passthrough, you would require an input source via a cable at the back, I think.
I just want to be 100% clear on what you mean, so that the feedback is properly sent.
Sorry i should have been more specific - there is a detailed thread regarding the issue here:

LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs | Sonos Community

Essentially there is an issue with the UB820 EDID that is preventing LPCM from being sent through HDMI for DTS tracks (when set to PCM as opposed to bitstream, secondary audio off, 7.1 reformatting on etc)

Basically without a HD Arcana or DR HDMI 4K Unit (and extensive EDID knowledge) you are only able to get 2.0 channel stereo from DTS encoded disks, as opposed to 5.1 LPCM

Sorry i should have been more specific - there is a detailed thread regarding the issue here:

LG C9 + Arc + UB820 / Multichannel PCM for DTS Blu-Ray discs | Sonos Community

Essentially there is an issue with the UB820 EDID that is preventing LPCM from being sent through HDMI for DTS tracks (when set to PCM as opposed to bitstream, secondary audio off, 7.1 reformatting on etc)

Basically without a HD Arcana or DR HDMI 4K Unit (and extensive EDID knowledge) you are only able to get 2.0 channel stereo from DTS encoded disks, as opposed to 5.1 LPCM
That looks interesting, I'll have a look, thank you.

Edit: I've contacted the person who created that post over at the Sonos Community forums, there is no point re-submitting a similar case with all bits and pieces of information an additional time. Instead I asked him for the case number that he was issued at/from Panasonic Customer Support, that way I could only point to that particular case number and remind them that the issue still very much is existent and needs proper attention, Panasonic most likely already have everything on file.

You can check my post for possible updates, I'll update the EDID point once I have the case.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had issues with triple-layer discs on the Panasonic?
It has been mentioned earlier, but haven't received examples of titles showcasing the issue.
I can't just pick a random release, I need concrete examples so it can be reproduced by Panasonic.

Also, does anyone know if there's an existing channel for us consumers to report disc playability issues?
Is there a submission form designed for this purpose, or do you submit through customer support?

Has anyone ever sent information like this, where did you send it?

Is there any way of stopping the little box appearing top right that says
BD-Video
Play
Then you have to press status twice to get it off screen. It’s really annoying

Is there any way of stopping the little box appearing top right that says
BD-Video
Play
Then you have to press status twice to get it off screen. It’s really annoying
This may do the trick

Settings | System
On-Screen Messages
Choose whether to show status messages automatically.

Nope already got on screen messages set to off.

I just bought a UB820 and I'm setting up the audio for my 4.0 speaker system. In the 7.1 analogue speaker set-up screen (the one with the diagram of all the speakers) I can delete the back speakers and sub, but it seems like there's no way to delete the centre speaker. Am I missing something here, or is it simply impossible to turn off the centre speaker output?

Last edited:
I just bought a UB820 and I'm setting up the audio for my 4.0 speaker system. In the 7.1 analogue speaker set-up screen (the one with the diagram of all the speakers) I can delete the back speakers and sub, but it seems like there's no way to delete the centre speaker. Am I missing something here, or is it simply impossible to turn off the centre speaker output?
Just tried on my UB9000 and I can turn off the centre speaker. AFAIK the 7.1ch audio setup is the same as with the UB820.

navigate to the centre speaker section
Move cursor to the C (now has yellow block over it)
Click on the up arrowhead. Now there is a blank where the C previously was
Press OK on remote
Click on complete

I had more of a problem putting it back again....:(

@stmhlm
Please add the following points:
1. Front display even on dim too bright in a dark room. Needs option to be switched off entirely during playback.
2. 24p playback from harddrive/streaming/usb is displayed as 30p
3. Stereo-downmix option doesn't work correctly, as it seems to be EDID dependant (stereo audio EDID needs to be forced externally in some cases) discussion: #3,779-#3,795.

And another question:
Any experiences with player-led dolby vision / lldv on the UB824 or UB9000? How does lldv compare to regular DV on this player (I know it's kind of TV dependant) ?

@stmhlm
Please add the following points:
1. Front display even on dim too bright in a dark room. Needs option to be switched off entirely during playback.
2. 24p playback from harddrive/streaming/usb is displayed as 30p
3. Stereo-downmix option doesn't work correctly, as it seems to be EDID dependant (stereo audio EDID needs to be forced externally in some cases) discussion: #3,779-#3,795.

And another question:
Any experiences with player-led dolby vision / lldv on the UB824 or UB9000? How does lldv compare to regular DV on this player (I know it's kind of TV dependant) ?
1. You can already do that.
Option | Sound | High Clarity Sound | Video off

Set a terminal that will stop processing audio signals or whether or not to turn on/off the unit’s
display when “High Clarity Sound” (􀀾 28) is set to “On (Video Off)” or “On (Video On)”.
≥ Set an option for video playback and audio playback

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom