Quantcast

Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

BoyVader

Standard Member
Hi, new UB420 owner here...was really cheap so thought it might be an upgrade from Xbox One X player. Left on default easy settings so far....looks good with 4k HDR Blu Ray disk..and I get Atmos which is a bonus....using built in Netflix it looks bad...grainy, and also sound cuts in and out...
Any ideas why?
Not a big deal as bought it for disk playback mainly as my Samsung Q80R has nice built in Netflix etc. Network speed is fine, hardwired...any quick setup tips appreciated

BoyVader

Standard Member
So just a bit more info. I'm connected with UB420 Audio/Video out on hdmi to my Samsung Q70R soundbar HDMI. Then HDMI ARC to the TV.
Blu Ray disks work fine, get TrueHD/Dolby Atmos no problems. Same for playback from USB, MKV's etc. Only the built in streaming apps don't work correctly. Picture fine, sound just cuts in and out...appreciate any settings I can check.....

BoyVader

Standard Member
So am I the only one who has seen this? Tried reset using [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button etc.. didn't make any difference.
Panasonic support told me to try hdmi directly to my Samsung One connect box and see if it makes a difference. Bit of a hassle getting to my setup....do you think this is worth a try? or any suggestions..

4khubby

Novice Member
I'm having trouble getting the sound to play from myreceiver. I have the ub420, 1 hdmi cable to the TV-hdmi 3, the other to the DVD hdmi input on my receiver. The receiver is is connected to the TV, hdmi 4. When the TV is on hdmi 3,i get picture nut no sound. When it's on hdmi 4, I get sound but no picture. Any advice would be great!

thedoswells

So just a bit more info. I'm connected with UB420 Audio/Video out on hdmi to my Samsung Q70R soundbar HDMI. Then HDMI ARC to the TV.
Blu Ray disks work fine, get TrueHD/Dolby Atmos no problems. Same for playback from USB, MKV's etc. Only the built in streaming apps don't work correctly. Picture fine, sound just cuts in and out...appreciate any settings I can check.....
just to try to understand better, which apps on the 420 are causing you issues, which are not available on your tv?
i ask because I have the ub820 and it’s superb for disk playing but I would never use it for the built in apps, as the tv ones are much better.

thedoswells

I'm having trouble getting the sound to play from myreceiver. I have the ub420, 1 hdmi cable to the TV-hdmi 3, the other to the DVD hdmi input on my receiver. The receiver is is connected to the TV, hdmi 4. When the TV is on hdmi 3,i get picture nut no sound. When it's on hdmi 4, I get sound but no picture. Any advice would be great!
hi. Can you say what tv and receiver you have. Also, just to check I assume you definitely have the audio out connected to the receiver and the video out connected to the tv?
also, what discs are you having trouble with? 4K blurays or std blurays or dvds or all? Have you got certified high bandwidth hdmi cables?
cheers

4khubby

Novice Member
hi. Can you say what tv and receiver you have. Also, just to check I assume you definitely have the audio out connected to the receiver and the video out connected to the tv?
also, what discs are you having trouble with? 4K blurays or std blurays or dvds or all? Have you got certified high bandwidth hdmi cables?
cheers
I have the Vizio quantum m 658 and pioneer 303

Distinguished Member
Not 100% sure if I've understood you correctly, I believe your using both HDMI outs on the UB420 (Video output to TV HDMI3, Audio output to AVR HDMI labeled DVD)?

If so, you need to set the TV to HDMI3 and set the AVR to the DVD input. HDMI4 on your TV is only for video sources that are routed through the AVR.

4khubby

Novice Member
Not 100% sure if I've understood you correctly, I believe your using both HDMI outs on the UB420 (Video output to TV HDMI3, Audio output to AVR HDMI labeled DVD)?

If so, you need to set the TV to HDMI3 and set the AVR to the DVD input. HDMI4 on your TV is only for video sources that are routed through the AVR.
Yea I tried that and still nothing.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Why are you using two cable connect method? Your receiver supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision passthrough (but not HDR10+). I suspect a receiver setting is the cause of the problem. Initially to isolate where the problem is:
1. Take the receiver out of the equation and just connect UB420 to the TV directly. Do you get audio and video?
2. Try a one cable connect from UB420 to receiver. Do you get audio and video?

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Yea I tried that and still nothing.
What does nothing mean exactly?

What have you got the HDMI and Audio settings in the UB420 set to?
Have you tried disabling CEC on the TV and AVR?

4khubby

Novice Member
What does nothing mean exactly?

What have you got the HDMI and Audio settings in the UB420 set to?
Have you tried disabling CEC on the TV and AVR?
I disables the arc on both the TV and receiver. So when I switch the receiver to bluray hdmi port and TV to port 4,i get sound and no picture. When I switch to port 3 on the TV where the ub420 is, I get picture and no sound.

Distinguished Member
I disables the arc on both the TV and receiver. So when I switch the receiver to bluray hdmi port and TV to port 4,i get sound and no picture. When I switch to port 3 on the TV where the ub420 is, I get picture and no sound.
I really have no idea then I'm afraid. Is a single cable connection as Doug suggested possible?

Edit: On the UB420, what happens if you set the HDMI video output to Video+Audio while leaving the Audio output at Audio only? And what happens if you disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV that goes to the AVR?

4khubby

Novice Member
I really have no idea then I'm afraid. Is a single cable connection as Doug suggested possible?

Edit: On the UB420, what happens if you set the HDMI video output to Video+Audio while leaving the Audio output at Audio only? And what happens if you disconnect the HDMI cable from the TV that goes to the AVR?
I tried multiple connections and nothing. I went back to running just 1 hdmi to the receiver. No hdr10+ but it's okml. I played with the hdr optimizer and i feel like I got it close. I appreciate the help though!

4khubby

Novice Member
Why are you using two cable connect method? Your receiver supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision passthrough (but not HDR10+). I suspect a receiver setting is the cause of the problem. Initially to isolate where the problem is:
1. Take the receiver out of the equation and just connect UB420 to the TV directly. Do you get audio and video?
2. Try a one cable connect from UB420 to receiver. Do you get audio and video?
It's the receiver, correct it doesn't support hdr10+. I ran one hdmi cable from the player to receiver and it works fine. I will stick with hdr10 and use the hdr optimizer settings. I got it pretty close I feel.

BoyVader

Standard Member
just to try to understand better, which apps on the 420 are causing you issues, which are not available on your tv?
i ask because I have the ub820 and it’s superb for disk playing but I would never use it for the built in apps, as the tv ones are much better.
YouTube and Netflix...yes they are available on my TV. I've given up with 420 built in apps.. Also have to unplug the 420 when not using it as it makes the HDMI switching really flakey on my setup. e.g. can't see or switch back to my soundbar HDMI Arc if it's still connected.. I can live with this for the quality of the disk and USB player......

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
It's the receiver, correct it doesn't support hdr10+. I ran one hdmi cable from the player to receiver and it works fine. I will stick with hdr10 and use the hdr optimizer settings. I got it pretty close I feel.
That it works OK via passthrough but not the two cable method may indicate a TV/receiver issue.
When you say you disabled ARC did you also disable CEC? (on my receiver they are two settings). It may be a CEC issue where the TV is switching the receiver away from the UB420 audio input.

4khubby

Novice Member
That it works OK via passthrough but not the two cable method may indicate a TV/receiver issue.
When you say you disabled ARC did you also disable CEC? (on my receiver they are two settings). It may be a CEC issue where the TV is switching the receiver away from the UB420 audio input.
Yea it's something strange going on but no major biggie. I only have 3 hdr10+ movies anyway and I love the hdr optimizer so Im good to go

BoyVader

Standard Member
Are these players a big step up from a Xbox one x 4K player?
Not a 'massive' step up in my opinion, but a definitely a step up. The HDR optimiser makes HDR options much better, but main reason I bought one over my Xbox One X was audio. You can get DD, DD+ and Dolby Atmos without lip sync issues....I could only get rid of lip sync issues on Xbox by setting to PCM, so no DD, DD+ or Atmos. (Note: playing files like .MKV etc from USB will only allows DD, Dolby 5.1 and not Atmos. Panasonic disabled Atmos via usb file playback to make you go buy the disc...lol). For the price I would go for it as I would also get errors about memory when playing 4k MKV's on the Xbox and on the Pano's they are smooth and error free via USB 3 port on the rear.

sebna

Hey,

I read somewhere that UB820 had problems with DV disc (elevated blacks or something like this).

Has this been fixed?

BTW what is the consensus on 820 vs 420 vs 450 picture quality (forgetting for a second about HDR Optimizer)? Is the base line exactly the same or are there differences in favor of any of them?

Thanks.