Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Got it sorted. Had it set to auto ,changed it to 4k all good now.
Setting to 4K may not have solved your problem only masked it.

By setting it to output 4K you are telling the player to upscale everything to 4K whether it be 1080p, 720p or anything else, so you will probably be getting upscales 1080p not genuine 4K.

You need to find out why Auto is not sending 4K for a 4K disc like it should.

Setting to 4K may not have solved your problem only masked it.

By setting it to output 4K you are telling the player to upscale everything to 4K whether it be 1080p, 720p or anything else, so you will probably be getting upscales 1080p not genuine 4K.

You need to find out why Auto is not sending 4K for a 4K disc like it should.
So what’s your answer.all the write ups I’ve seen say set it to 4k.

So what’s your answer.all the write ups I’ve seen say set it to 4k.
Please confirm which setting you are talking about, had this before and we were talking about two different settings.

However if you are talking about Output then yes once sorted you can set it to 4K so that the 820 upscales proper 1080p etc rather than the TV but at the moment if Auto is outputting 1080p for a 4K disc you have a problem that needs sorting first, as you are probably getting an upscaled 1080p not genuine 4K.

First thing to check would be, sorry if this sounds obvious but have done it before myself, that the disc is a 4K disc and not a standard Blu-Ray.

Please confirm which setting you are talking about, had this before and we were talking about two different settings.

However if you are talking about Output then yes once sorted you can set it to 4K so that the 820 upscales proper 1080p etc rather than the TV but at the moment if Auto is outputting 1080p for a 4K disc you have a problem that needs sorting first, as you are probably getting an upscaled 1080p not genuine 4K.

First thing to check would be, sorry if this sounds obvious but have done it before myself, that the disc is a 4K disc and not a standard Blu-Ray.
they definitely 4k discs, that’s all I buy now. I do have plenty of 1080p discs. I see you have the Denon 3800, I have the Marantz Cinema 40. If I set it to Auto in the panny 820 if I press the info button it shows Resolution 1080p then underneath that it says HDR 4k or something like that, I can’t put a disc in at the moment my wife is watching a tv program. Getting back on track if I then change it to 4k in the panny it shows Resolution 4k when I press the info button on the Marantz handset, which I would expect it to do. Hope I’ve given you enough info. Thanks for your help.

I've just read about the 1.76 firmware using player-led instead of tv-led Dolby Vision with some TVs, which has been confirmed by Panasonic here:

Apparently the change in the 1.76 firmware is a workaround for this bug:

I have a Panasonic MZ2000 TV and a UB820 player. I got both of them recently, so I never had an earlier firmware version on the player to compare with. What I would like to know is: Is there a way for me to find out if my Panasonic TV uses tv-led oder player-led Dolby Vision?

If I long-press the info button on the MZ2000 remote I get the following information for Dolby Vision discs: YCbCr4:2:2/-/Normal

If I turn off Dolby Vision in the settings of the UB820 so that it uses HDR10 instead, I get the following information on the TV: YCbCr4:4:4/12bit/Normal

Is this an indication of player-led Dolby Vision?

I used the UHD of "The Matrix" for these tests.

On the other hand, in this video Vincent says that player-led Dolby Vision doesn't support Dolby Vision IQ:

However, I also tested this. If I change from DV Dark to DV IQ on the MZ2000 and then shine a flashlight on the sensor in the bottom left corner of the TV, the image noticeably brightens up after 1/2 minute or so. This can be confirmed by toggling back and forth between DV Dark and IQ modes. So IQ seems to work.

On Reddit an LG G3 owner complains about raised black levels on black bars with DV on the UB820:

On the MZ2000 the black bars definitely look dark and inky with DV. I wouldn't say that the image looks punchier in HDR10 either. I think some scenes look a bit darker in DV, but that might be expected with dynamic metadata.

On the other hand, I found a completely dark frame at the beginning of the Matrix disc and paused the player on it. After waiting a moment to let my eyes accommodate to the darkness in a completely dark room, I noticed that the image isn't really completely black. Everything, including the bars, has a raised black level, but only ever so slightly. You wouldn't notice it while watching the film.

Doing some further online research I found a posting implying that this is a known issue with DV on Panasonic OLEDs:

So, that seems to be related to the TV and not to the player.

At the moment I am unsure whether I am getting player-led or tv-led Dolby Vision. Any ideas how I can find out which mode is being used?

Last edited:
they definitely 4k discs, that’s all I buy now. I do have plenty of 1080p discs. I see you have the Denon 3800, I have the Marantz Cinema 40. If I set it to Auto in the panny 820 if I press the info button it shows Resolution 1080p then underneath that it says HDR 4k or something like that, I can’t put a disc in at the moment my wife is watching a tv program. Getting back on track if I then change it to 4k in the panny it shows Resolution 4k when I press the info button on the Marantz handset, which I would expect it to do. Hope I’ve given you enough info. Thanks for your help.
I believe your Marantz gives the same info as my Denon so when its outputting 1080p what is the full info? If in Auto it’s something like

1080p24hz
HDR
12bit

And when 4k

4K24hz
HDR
10bit

then the issue is bandwidth.

The theoretical max is

4K60hz
HDR
12bit

But the 820’s cannot achieve that so depending on the settings in the player and your HDMI cable it will cut one or more back.

Check your settings are

Video Format - Auto
4K (50p/60p) Output – 444 (assuming you are in the UK)
And in Advanced Settings
Colour Mode – Auto
Deep Colour – 12bit

If you still get 1080p I would try a different HDMI cable. If it is now showing 4K24hz you can set Video Format to 4K if you wish but Colour Mode needs to stay as Auto.

At the moment I am unsure whether I am getting player-led or tv-led Dolby Vision. Any ideas how I can find out which mode is being used?
YCbCr4:2:2 indicates player led Dolby Vision, TV led would be RGB 8bit.

Assuming your MZ2000 works the same as my Denon. My JZ1500 has no long press info so can’t check.

I believe your Marantz gives the same info as my Denon so when its outputting 1080p what is the full info? If in Auto it’s something like

1080p24hz
HDR
12bit

And when 4k

4K24hz
HDR
10bit

The theoretical max is

4K60hz
HDR
12bit

But the 820’s cannot achieve that so depending on the settings in the player and your HDMI cable it will cut one or more back.

Check your settings are

Video Format - Auto
And in Advanced Settings
Colour Mode – Auto
Deep Colour – 12bit

If you still get 1080p I would try a different HDMI cable. If it is now showing 4K24hz you can set Video Format to 4K if you wish but Colour Mode needs to stay as Auto.
Thanks for the info will check later when I come round. Really appreciate your help.

1080p24hz
HDR
12bit

And when 4k

4K24hz
HDR
10bit

The theoretical max is

4K60hz
HDR
12bit

Check your settings are

Video Format - Auto
And in Advanced Settings
Colour Mode – Auto
Deep Colour – 12bit

Hi, at the moment this is what it shows
If Dolby Visio.
Resolution 4k24
HDR Dolby Vision
Colour Space . RGB B/T2020
Pixel Depth . 8 Bits.

If HDR10.
Resolution.4k 24
HDR. HDR10
Colour Space. Y cb cr 444/BT/2020
Pixel Depth. 12 Bits.

Settings in 820.
Video Format 4k
4k (50/60) - 444
Colour mode Y cb cr (4.4.4)
Deep Colour. Auto (12 Bit Priority).

Hi,Do you guys recommend the hdr optimiser on or off

YCbCr4:2:2 indicates player led Dolby Vision, TV led would be RGB 8bit.

Assuming your MZ2000 works the same as my Denon. My JZ1500 has no long press info so can’t check.
Thanks for the info. I can't say Dolby Vision looks bad in any way right now, but I'd certainly prefer tv-led to get the best image quality possible with the TV.

Perhaps in the next firmware version Panasonic should just add a setting where you could choose from: Auto (default), Player-led, TV-led.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I can't say Dolby Vision looks bad in any way right now, but I'd certainly prefer tv-led to get the best image quality possible with the TV.

Perhaps in the next firmware version Panasonic should just add a setting where you could choose from: Auto (default), Player-led, TV-led.
This might be worth a try as you have a new model.

My JZ has an option in HDMI Setting for Dolby Vision. Mode2 forces Player Led but Mode1 sadly doesn’t force TV LED it instead uses EDID to determine which and this means on some new TVs with 1.76 on the 820 it will also use Player LED, maybe that setting is different on new models and allow you to select TV LED.

This might be worth a try as you have a new model.

My JZ has an option in HDMI Setting for Dolby Vision. Mode2 forces Player Led but Mode1 sadly doesn’t force TV LED it instead uses EDID to determine which and this means on some new TVs with 1.76 on the 820 it will also use Player LED, maybe that setting is different on new models and allow you to select TV LED.

Definitely worth trying.

The MZ has an HDMI HDR Setting, but you can't choose a mode in it, you can select between HDR Setting: Dynamic, Static, Off.

Off will completely deactivate HDR, I assume, Static will enable HDR10, Dynamic enables a second menu option below, HDR Dynamic Setting, which has on/off toggles for Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

The MZ has an HDMI Auto Setting where a mode can be selected for all four HDMI inputs. The first two (HDMI 2.1) inputs have three modes to choose from, the others have two.

I just tried all three modes on HDMI1, but with all of them I am getting YCbCr4:2:2 for Dolby Vision.

Hi, at the moment this is what it shows
If Dolby Visio.
Resolution 4k24
HDR Dolby Vision
Colour Space . RGB B/T2020
Pixel Depth . 8 Bits.

If HDR10.
Resolution.4k 24
HDR. HDR10
Colour Space. Y cb cr 444/BT/2020
Pixel Depth. 12 Bits.

Settings in 820.
Video Format 4k
4k (50/60) - 444
Colour mode Y cb cr (4.4.4)
Deep Colour. Auto (12 Bit Priority).
Good news if it matters to you, you are getting TV LED Dolby Vision.

Anyway first set Video Format to Auto and see what the info is on the same discs.

Then set Colour Mode to Auto because if 444 isn’t causing this problem it will course problems on some discs.

I wonder if you watched the same YT videos I did but they are wrong and at least one of them now says so in the notes. I had it set to 444 at one point and if you go back far enough in this thread you will find someone giving me this advice.

By forcing 444 you are using up a lot of bandwidth and the 820 will lower other settings to compensate when needed, definitely on 60hz discs and I had issues with some other discs.

Auto will still use 444 if bandwidth allows and having “4K (50/60)” set to 444 is fine as it does not have the same effect.

Definitely worth trying.

The MZ has an HDMI HDR Setting, but you can't choose a mode in it, you can select between HDR Setting: Dynamic, Static, Off.

Off will completely deactivate HDR, I assume, Static will enable HDR10, Dynamic enables a second menu option below, HDR Dynamic Setting, which has on/off toggles for Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

The MZ has an HDMI Auto Setting where a mode can be selected for all four HDMI inputs. The first two (HDMI 2.1) inputs have three modes to choose from, the others have two.

I just tried all three modes on HDMI1, but with all of them I am getting YCbCr4:2:2 for Dolby Vision.
That is a different setting on my TV.

Just looked through the MZ manual and the setting I was talking about has been removed.

Good news if it matters to you, you are getting TV LED Dolby Vision.

Anyway first set Video Format to Auto and see what the info is on the same discs.

Then set Colour Mode to Auto because if 444 isn’t causing this problem it will course problems on some discs.

I wonder if you watched the same YT videos I did but they are wrong and at least one of them now says so in the notes. I had it set to 444 at one point and if you go back far enough in this thread you will find someone giving me this advice.

By forcing 444 you are using up a lot of bandwidth and the 820 will lower other settings to compensate when needed, definitely on 60hz discs and I had issues with some other discs.

Auto will still use 444 if bandwidth allows and having “4K (50/60)” set to 444 is fine as it does not have the same effect.
Bingo you sir are a genius, following your instructions with the same disc I get.
Resolution 4k
HDR . HDR10.
Colour space, Y cbcr 4:4:4/BT.2020.
Pixel Depth 12 bits.
Thanks for patience and help. Can’t thank you enough.

Regards Stewart.

Hi,Do you guys recommend the hdr optimiser on or off
If your TV is a few years old, new but cheap and/or fits into the optimiser settings I would say yes.

If it’s a new high-end TV with brightness levels above the optimiser settings, I have no idea.

Settings are:-

O-LED 1000 nits
High LCD 1500 nits
Mid LCD 1000 nits
Basic LCD 500 nits

I bought a Panasonic DP UB820 EB player recently, it is my first Blu-Ray player, and it is paired with a 24 inch JVC TV which is only 720p, I bought this player to 'future proof' my set up, i.e. I won't need to buy a new player when I upgrade the telly.

It's great - Blu-Rays look fantastic and even DVDs (of which I have many) look great.

A problem arose last night when watching a Blu-Ray disc. On stopping the disc and then re-starting, the screen had taken on a vivid pink hue, i.e. all the black turned to pink.

Removing and replacing the brand new HDMI cable did nothing. Nor did turning it off and on again. It eventually resolved 'by itself.'

On research I discovered this is a glitch with the player and the TV not 'talking' to each other properly; because the telly is only 720p it cannot handle the higher settings on the player, which causes the intermittent pink screen.

This is especially true of Dolby Vision which I have deactivated for now. To test this, I turned Dolby Vision back on, and sure enough, pink - so off it went again.

But I was playing a DVD today - not a Blu-Ray - stopped it half-way through, started it again, and - pink! Dolby Vision was off. Turning off, and on again didn't work. Tried a different disc - no change. It eventually resolved. And to test again, I turned Dolby Vision on - pink - so back off again.

I'm a bit concerned though - this happened whilst watching a DVD, whilst Dolby Vision was off. Do I therefore have a faulty player? Or is it because the TV is too low-res? Or is it something else entirely?

A bit miffed as a I've been using a £28 DVD player for years with no problems at all, but this £400 player has this problem which is making me think of returning it.

Yes I thought as much, with that telly...

But, I did all that, and the pink IMMEDIATELY returned!

So I restored all settings except Dolby Vision, and it was OK.

It seems to not like having its settings fiddled with... I'm going to leave well alone and see how it goes.

And get a new telly next year (can't afford it this year!)

Last edited:
Update - if anyone cares - but useful info maybe, for others suffering the Pink Screen of Death.

It happened last night whilst connected to my Virgin TiVo box - so independently of the player.

And persisted when I turned the player on. But was OK with Freeview.

It resolved when I turned the TV off at the mains for 5 mins (so, rebooting it).

So... it's not the Panasonic player, it's the TV. It seems to sometimes have a headfit with HDMI.

I'll see how I get on but it looks like a new TV is required - I really can't afford it this year, having splashed out on the Blu-Ray player and a Denon DM41. But needs must when the Devil vomits in yer kettle.

Hey all,

Recently picked up an a95l and a ub820 and I'm having a weird issue that happens on both my first unit and second unit. When the player is connected to HDMI port 1 or 2 (HDMI 2.0) on the TV, dolby vision content causes artifacting at all times, even while paused. Both the player and tv report that dolby vision is working fine, so I think this must be a signal integrity issue. I've attached a video here that shows the problem (note the white spots flashing occasionally):

Now the really weird thing is that this issue goes away in two cases:

1. When I connect the ub820 into one of the HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV and disable 2.1 features

Or

2. If I set the ub820 to output 60hz mode constantly, preventing the mode switching to 24hz.

Since both of those workarounds have some sort of change to the rx or t, I suspect there's an issue with the players tx component. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

This is with using zeskit HDMI 2.1 cables for everything. I also tried a couple other cables and still same issue.

Update - if anyone cares - but useful info maybe, for others suffering the Pink Screen of Death.

It happened last night whilst connected to my Virgin TiVo box - so independently of the player.

And persisted when I turned the player on. But was OK with Freeview.

It resolved when I turned the TV off at the mains for 5 mins (so, rebooting it).

So... it's not the Panasonic player, it's the TV. It seems to sometimes have a headfit with HDMI.

I'll see how I get on but it looks like a new TV is required - I really can't afford it this year, having splashed out on the Blu-Ray player and a Denon DM41. But needs must when the Devil vomits in yer kettle.
If you are not buying a new TV this year, save for an LG G4.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom