Panasonic DP-UB820, can only get Dolby TrueHD

VikingInLdn

Novice Member
Hello

can someone help, I have my Panasonic DP-UB820 connected with a HDMI to my Denon AVR-X2600H.

When playing a 4K movie with Dolby Atmos, when seeing playback info it says Dolby TrueHD on my Panasonic, which also what is sends to my Denon, I can change it to Dolby Atmos/Dolby Surround on my Denon, but is that true Dolby Atmos or a simulation?

I was under the impression that my Panasonic should be able to pass it trough when it set to bitstream which it is, no PCM.

Hope you can help.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Hello

can someone help, I have my Panasonic DP-UB820 connected with a HDMI to my Denon AVR-X2600H.

When playing a 4K movie with Dolby Atmos, when seeing playback info it says Dolby TrueHD on my Panasonic, which also what is sends to my Denon, I can change it to Dolby Atmos/Dolby Surround on my Denon, but is that true Dolby Atmos or a simulation?

I was under the impression that my Panasonic should be able to pass it trough when it set to bitstream which it is, no PCM.

Hope you can help.
All players show atmos as TrueHD
As long as you have the output as bitstream and secondary audio: off the player will bitstream the atmos soundtrack to the AVR for decoding.
The Denon will need to have at least two atmos speakers attached and configured to playback atmos.
Don;t know re your Denon but mine has an Info button on the remote which will show the input signal and the processing mode in use. Set up as above results in atmos being shown on mine.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The player has no need to see or detect Atmos metadata. The metadata is most commonly packaged with TrueHD encoded audio in association with content you get on Blu-ray and or UHD discs. The player will output the metadata as long as you bistream the TrueHD audio it was packaged with. Only the AV receiver needs to detect this metadata in order to use it to give you Atmos.

UHD disc players will not indicate whether or not Atmos metadata is present. Simply ensure that you set the player to bitstream and that the player can bitstream the TRueHD or DD+ audio Atmos metadata is ordinarilly packaged with. Select Atmos via the disc's audio options and not via the players configurations.

Note that you'd need to have a speaker setup compliant with what is required for Atmos for the AV receiver to even acknowledge the presence of Atmos. Other than this, you'd need to use Dolby Virtual Height processing to create virtual representations of the addtional speakers. If devoid of these speakers then you'd only get and be able to portray the TrueHD element of the audio package. Atmos requires a minimum of a 5.1.2 speaker arrangement or a virtual representation of such. The AV receiver will state ATMOS on its front display if and when detecting the Atmos metadata. If it doesn't state this on the display then you are not portraying Atmos.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom