Panasonic DP-UB820 Blu Ray Dolby ATMOS problem. Sometimes?

This is my first post to AVFORUMS so I hope I am in the right place. I have recently installed a home theater system and starting to get into 4K UHD blu ray discs. I really like the Dolby ATMOS features of my system but I have noticed that even though the blu ray disc says Dolby ATMOS, my AVR is not recognizing Dolby ATMOS on some discs.

For instance, I have the 4K UHD blue ray for Blade Runner 2049. Label says Dolty ATMOS and my AVR says playing Dolby ATMOS.
But my latest disc is the original Matrix on 4K UDH blu ray also lists Dolby ATMOS but my AVR only says Dolby Surround and I cannot see Dolby ATMOS as an option. This is with no changes on the blu ray player or AVR. Just switch out the disc both of which are labeled as Dolby ATMOS.

So I am not sure if it is me or if the disc really is not Dolby ATMOS. Both movies sound great anyway but just trying to figure all this out. I have a lot to learn. Just looking for a little direction.

Sony 77" A80J OLED
Denon AVR-X4700H
Panasonic DP-UB820
Klipsch 5.1.4

Thanks
PNW

gibbsy

Panasonic DP-UB820
Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the player set to bitstream and secondary audio off? Most UHD discs have Atmos as the default setting. Also check in your Denon by pressing the 'info' button, this will tell you what signal and in what form you are receiving.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
This is my first post to AVFORUMS so I hope I am in the right place. I have recently installed a home theater system and starting to get into 4K UHD blu ray discs. I really like the Dolby ATMOS features of my system but I have noticed that even though the blu ray disc says Dolby ATMOS, my AVR is not recognizing Dolby ATMOS on some discs.

For instance, I have the 4K UHD blue ray for Blade Runner 2049. Label says Dolty ATMOS and my AVR says playing Dolby ATMOS.
But my latest disc is the original Matrix on 4K UDH blu ray also lists Dolby ATMOS but my AVR only says Dolby Surround and I cannot see Dolby ATMOS as an option. This is with no changes on the blu ray player or AVR. Just switch out the disc both of which are labeled as Dolby ATMOS.

So I am not sure if it is me or if the disc really is not Dolby ATMOS. Both movies sound great anyway but just trying to figure all this out. I have a lot to learn. Just looking for a little direction.

Sony 77" A80J OLED
Denon AVR-X4700H
Panasonic DP-UB820
Klipsch 5.1.4

Thanks
PNW
Dolby Digital is the default soundtrack on the matrix uhd. You have to manually select true hd in the disc setup menu or via soundtrack dropdown in the player options menu when the disc is playing..

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have the player set to bitstream and secondary audio off? Most UHD discs have Atmos as the default setting. Also check in your Denon by pressing the 'info' button, this will tell you what signal and in what form you are receiving.
Thank you. Yes I did have these setting correct.

Dolby Digital is the default soundtrack on the matrix uhd. You have to manually select true hd in the disc setup menu or via soundtrack dropdown in the player options menu when the disc is playing..
Thank you and that was the fix. I did not realize that I could pick the default audio output based on the disc.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Thank you and that was the fix. I did not realize that I could pick the default audio output based on the disc.
There are a few like that where the default is 'wrong'. Kong Skull Island is another I remember that needs manually changing as are all Game of Thrones UHDs and atmos blu-rays.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom