Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Mode 2 for the HDMI Auto setting.

But the Dolby Vision setting on the TV should be (and I think is?) set to Mode 1.

I've ensured the Dolby Vision setting is Mode 1, thanks.

I do sometimes wonder how people who aren't tech minded or aren't members of forums such as this one, manage to set their systems up correctly? Are they set incorrectly but they just don't know?

My setting were incorrect but being a member here allowed me to finally set my TV up correctly, but if it wasn't for this forum and its members I'd still be moaning to myself that my TV wasn't right.

I was lucky enough to have had my UB820+TV settings set correctly at the time I had my TV pro isf calibrated. Approx a month after purchasing both devices at the same time about 3 years ago to the day.

I've ensured the Dolby Vision setting is Mode 1, thanks.

I do sometimes wonder how people who aren't tech minded or aren't members of forums such as this one, manage to set their systems up correctly? Are they set incorrectly but they just don't know?

My setting were incorrect but being a member here allowed me to finally set my TV up correctly, but if it wasn't for this forum and its members I'd still be moaning to myself that my TV wasn't right.
Maybe, as I assume not many people would read a manual nowadays.
I could be wrong, but I think Mode 2 for the HDMI Auto setting might actually be the default though.

My mistake about the manuals I should have looked closer.

The HDMI Auto Setting on the TV basically sets bandwidth. Mode 1 is for HDMI 1.4 (10Gb/s), Mode 2 HDMI 2.0 (18Gb/s), Mode 3 HDMI 2.1 (40Gb/s).

So unless there are any issues the TV should be HDMI 1&2 Mode3 and HDMI 3&4 Mode2 and having done a factory reset recently they are the default settings.

The Dolby Vision setting should be Mode1 (the default) unless you want Player Led DV (LLDV).

As far as the 820 is concerned the YCbCr setting should be Auto for the reasons mentioned in the link.

The HDMI Auto Setting on the TV basically sets bandwidth. Mode 1 is for HDMI 1.4 (10Gb/s), Mode 2 HDMI 2.0 (18Gb/s), Mode 3 HDMI 2.1 (40Gb/s).

So unless there are any issues the TV should be HDMI 1&2 Mode3 and HDMI 3&4 Mode2 and having done a factory reset recently they are the default settings.

The Dolby Vision setting should be Mode1 (the default) unless you want Player Led DV (LLDV).

As far as the 820 is concerned the YCbCr setting should be Auto for the reasons mentioned in the link.

Thanks, I'll change to Mode 3, and just checked my Dolby Vision setting which was already already Mode 1.

Last edited:

A clear explanation. 👍 I do have my HDMI 1 and 2 set to Mode 3, but I was under the impression that was only necessary for achieving over 60hz at 4k (with an HDMI 2.1 cable). So I didn’t think it was necessary for the UB820, hence not suggesting it. But I guess there’s no reason not to go with Mode 3 if everything is working correctly, and good to know that Mode 3 is the default. I don’t own this player, and have HDMI 2.1 devices connected to ports 1 and 2. I only started posting in this thread because I noticed that the relevant JZ1500 chat had continued here.

Why not set all HDMI ports to mode 3? You don't want mode 1 aka HDMI 1.4.

Why not set all HDMI ports to mode 3? You don't want mode 1 aka HDMI 1.4.
Because HDMI 3&4 on our TVs are not 2.1 only 2.0 so don’t have a Mode3 option.

Frustrating that the settings aren't self explanatory, whether that be for my TVC or the 820. Despite the little pop up texts next to each setting it's not always obvious which to choose. If it wasn't for forums like this I wouldn't have a clue.

So 1 &2 mode 3 and 3&4 mode 2. That would be correct yes?

For resent Panasonics yes. Some makes have all their HDMIs 2.1 but then they probably call the setting something else.

Frustrating that the settings aren't self explanatory, whether that be for my TVC or the 820. Despite the little pop up texts next to each setting it's not always obvious which to choose. If it wasn't for forums like this I wouldn't have a clue.

The default settings, especially if you choose Film Maker Mode, are going to be pretty close to Out of the Box at their best, so will suit most people.

The EU insist TVs are sold in eco friendly mode so some tweaks are required for their absolute not calibrated best but the TV will then use more power.

But I do agree they could name settings and/or descriptions better.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom