Panasonic DP-UB820 4K Blu-ray Player help!

RV 09

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased the UB820 and have used it twice to watch a 4k blu-ray and there is major gripes in just getting to play the move.
Setup: UB820>>Marantz S56015>>Sony TV ZF9

1. As soon as I switch on the UB820, the marantz switches to the blu-ray input. Good start.
2. Disc is loaded and then here is when it gets frustrating. Disc reading appears, black screen flickers on and off probably working out the signal format, 4K UHD blu-ray message appears top right and then the TV screen goes to the Sony screensaver background of "no input detected" even though the UB820 and Marantz are showing as the inputs.
3. I try switching inputs on the Marantz and nothing happens, even when trying to switch to the Apple TV or V6, still stuck on the Sony Screensaver background of "no input detected" and the only way to get any sources playing is to switch the TV off.
4. I then switched off VieriaLink and the same issues still arise.

Please can anyone help?
Also does anyone know how to get the UB820 to switch on automatically when pressing the blu-ray input on the Marantz just like the Apple TV 4K does?

Obvious question. But the UB820 has 2 HDMI ports. One transmits bothvideo and audio, the other audio only. I assume you have it connected via Video & Audio HDMI:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sony HDMI Format, Enhanced or Standard?

Sony AV Preset, AV Set Up?

HDMI Cable?

Update Firmwares?

Power Cycle?

Use a different player?

Last edited:
Hi,

I recently purchased the UB820 and have used it twice to watch a 4k blu-ray and there is major gripes in just getting to play the move.

1. As soon as I switch on the UB820, the marantz switches to the blu-ray input. Good start.
2. Disc is loaded and then here is when it gets frustrating. Disc reading appears, black screen flickers on and off probably working out the signal format, 4K UHD blu-ray message appears top right and then the TV screen goes to the Sony screensaver background of "no input detected" even though the UB820 and Marantz are showing as the inputs.
3. I try switching inputs on the Marantz and nothing happens, even when trying to switch to the Apple TV or V6, still stuck on the Sony Screensaver background of "no input detected" and the only way to get any sources playing is to switch the TV off.

Please can anyone help?
Also does anyone know how to get the UB820 to switch on automatically when pressing the blu-ray input on the Marantz just like the Apple TV 4K does?
Try switching on the player last
so first TV, then Marantz, finally UB820

Before doing that power eveything off at the wall plug, leave for 30 seconds and then power back on in the sequence above

Sony HDMI Format, Enhanced or Standard?

Sony AV Preset, AV Set Up?

HDMI Cable?

Update Firmwares?

Power Cycle?

Use a different player?
1.Enhanced
2. HDMI Cable is IBRA high speed
3. All firmwares up to date
4. Power cycle?
5. Do not have a different player.

This issue is only with the UB820. This has never happened with my Apple TV 4K or Virgin V6 when switching from 1080p to 4K or SDR to HDR.

Try switching on the player last
so first TV, then Marantz, finally UB820

Before doing that power eveything off at the wall plug, leave for 30 seconds and then power back on in the sequence above
I will give this a go sometime this week, thansk

I find that switching on the tv first and then to the box source, then the box, works.

Switch Enhanced Off.

Connect box direct to TV.

Turn off Viera Link and select inputs etc. manually.

Can anyone tell me the current Firmware version for the DP-UB820 please.

Can anyone tell me the current Firmware version for the DP-UB820 please.
This is the latest firmware on my DP-UB820 (which is region free for both DVD & Bluray):

20210323_142130.jpg

Firmware release 1.64 is being released on brand new kit, but there's no sign of it on the Panasonic support website. Some users have installed the Chinese 1.66 firmware which seems to work, and maintains English language menus.

Firmware release 1.64 is being released on brand new kit, but there's no sign of it on the Panasonic support website. Some users have installed the Chinese 1.66 firmware which seems to work, and maintains English language menus.
Interesting. However, think I'll stick to UK firmware releases. I had a bad experience installing non UK versions of firmware many moons ago!

Hi,

Please can anyone help?
Just an update on this. Talked to customer services to the site I bought it from and they sent out a replacement.

Turned out in the end the 1st player I had was faulty as the replacement worked without any of the issues I previously encountered following the same steps as above.

Turned out in the end the 1st player I had was faulty as the replacement worked without any of the issues I previously encountered following the same steps as above.
Great result & fantastic customer service by the sounds of it!

Great result & fantastic customer service by the sounds of it!
Certainly was. Now at ease that is what blu-ray player was faulty and not something else in the chain.

Certainly was. Now at ease that is what blu-ray player was faulty and not something else in the chain.
Nothing worse than troubleshooting a device that's in a Home Theatre (HT) setup. Can take forever when you consider just the shear number of cables/interconnects involved!

For example. I was getting some constant & annoying static on my HT Setup a few months back. Disconnected everything, swapped cables etc no joy. Was convinced it was my Audiolab 6000A stereo amp (as only started after adding it). Was about to send it back, when in a "eureka moment" I unplugged a Powerline plug from a nearby socket - not part of my HT Setup....

Bingo - static gone! The powerline had introduced a "ground loop" on my electrical supply - which was causing the static from speakers!

Took months to solve though!

Hi,

Please can anyone help?
Have the same set up my AV amp works fine and switches with no problem I am suspecting it is the Pain a sonic unit. I am battleing with Pain a sonic UK and have been for over 10 weeks there an utter joke to deal with . I wish you luck

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom