Panasonic DP-UB450 Owners Thread

Fillius

I'm really hoping someone can help here!

Just got this blu ray player and was testing it out. I cannot got the machine to output 3D blu rays.

I have a Panasonic ex750 which is 3D and have been using it for that purpose fine

I have one hdmi going into the TV (hdmi1) and the other into my amp. 4kHDR works fine, but everytime I play a 3Dblu ray it plays it in 2D! Further , the UHD player causes the 3D options on the TV menu to be blacked out. I have tried this on other hdmi outputs and the same thing happens. Before plugging it in I can select the 3D mode on the TV menu but then when the UHD is plugged in that option goes away.

In the UHD menu itself every things seems to be in order. 3D video playback automatic, 3D output original.

Funnily enough when you pop in A 3D film you Dan choose to watch it in 3D or 2D as an option from this player. When I select 3D it plays it in 2D. When I select 2D a message comes up from the disc saying the disc isn't recogning a 3D compatible hardware?!!

I'm completely stumped!
Have you tried it without the second HDMI to your amp?

Just a guess, but it might be that the player can't do 3D on HDMI 1 at the same time as a 2D dummy feed with the audio on HDMI 2.

Although this pretty much defeats the point of a second HDMI output so hopefully it's not the case.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I'm really hoping someone can help here!

Just got this blu ray player and was testing it out. I cannot got the machine to output 3D blu rays.

I have a Panasonic ex750 which is 3D and have been using it for that purpose fine

I have one hdmi going into the TV (hdmi1) and the other into my amp. 4kHDR works fine, but everytime I play a 3Dblu ray it plays it in 2D! Further , the UHD player causes the 3D options on the TV menu to be blacked out. I have tried this on other hdmi outputs and the same thing happens. Before plugging it in I can select the 3D mode on the TV menu but then when the UHD is plugged in that option goes away.

In the UHD menu itself every things seems to be in order. 3D video playback automatic, 3D output original.

Funnily enough when you pop in A 3D film you Dan choose to watch it in 3D or 2D as an option from this player. When I select 3D it plays it in 2D. When I select 2D a message comes up from the disc saying the disc isn't recogning a 3D compatible hardware?!!

I'm completely stumped!
I'm presuming you have two cable setup as your amp can't passthrough 4K and you want to use 2nd HDMI cable to get audio via the amp?
2nd HDMI port (Audio out) can output both video and audio. But you can't output 3D from it. If you want that HDMI port going to the amp turn off the video from it and just have it output audio only.

HDMI (AUDIO) Output Mode
Set whether or not to output images from the HDMI AUDIO OUT terminal.
≥ It is not possible to output 3D, 4K or HDR content from the HDMI AUDIO OUT/HDMI VIDEO OUT terminal when “Video+Audio” is selected.

Last edited:

Endol

Thanks for the replies. So to answer your questions. My amp (Denon 2500) can pass 4k HDR but it was my understanding that it can't pass hdr10+ signals ?

The HDMI (audio) output mode option is not on the UHD player menu , I only have the video option. So it would seem I can't tell it to only have audio going to the amp, despite the fact that it's working (ie. Audio is going to the amp and a 4khdr signal is going to TV directly, ) just oddly not a 3D signal.

It would appear that the player is turning the 3D signal to 2D and playing 3D blu ray discs in 2D (something I didn't even know was possible)

EDIT: so tried the suggestion of using the single HDMI cable and it works a charm - 3D working. So there's a clearly an issue with the second HDMI . I don't have the option of selecting audio only for it, but I have the latest firmware!

Last edited:

_Dragon_

O I hope this player is good, Just got this for my daughter for Christmas, This year I split from her mum, My ex is just being bitchy and nasty towards me, So if the player throws up any problems then I just can't go over to the house and try to sort it out.

anchorless

After a new 4k player and been looking at this or the 820. What are people's thoughts on whether the 820 is worth the extra ££?

RDW

Does anyone know if this player supports 720p output? I'm planning to upgrade my TV to 4k in the next few months, but meanwhile my old player (which supported 720p output) has died and my current TV does not support 1080p input (I've tested it with a 1080p source). I've looked at the UB450 manual, but it only mentions 1080p, 1080i and 4k. Is there a 720p option in the Video Fomat setup menu, or can it handle 720p in Automatic mode if connected to a 720p TV?

Fillius

Does anyone know if this player supports 720p output? I'm planning to upgrade my TV to 4k in the next few months, but meanwhile my old player (which supported 720p output) has died and my current TV does not support 1080p input (I've tested it with a 1080p source). I've looked at the UB450 manual, but it only mentions 1080p, 1080i and 4k. Is there a 720p option in the Video Fomat setup menu, or can it handle 720p in Automatic mode if connected to a 720p TV?
Yes it looks like 720p is supported.
IMG_20191228_163652.jpg

RDW

And I can now confirm it works at 720p (auto mode did the right thing), even when downscaling a 4K disc to this prehistoric resolution. Nice little player, too. Now I just need a new TV to do it justice...

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I bought this as my first taste of 4K UHD. Review were decent and I gambled that if I wasn't blown away by 4K vs BD then I've not spent too much money.

My TV is a LG Oled 55B6 and I tried setting it up (late) last night and played Incredibles 2 and it didn't look great, so I'm guessing I've done something wrong. It goes into HDMI 1 on the TV which I have set to deep colour (and I have a decent cable - I think I have anyway). Does the player flag up if the disc is HDR10 or Dolby Vision when playing? Anything I need to make sure I've done correctly in the settings?

Thanks in advance.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I bought this as my first taste of 4K UHD. Review were decent and I gambled that if I wasn't blown away by 4K vs BD then I've not spent too much money.

My TV is a LG Oled 55B6 and I tried setting it up (late) last night and played Incredibles 2 and it didn't look great, so I'm guessing I've done something wrong. It goes into HDMI 1 on the TV which I have set to deep colour (and I have a decent cable - I think I have anyway). Does the player flag up if the disc is HDR10 or Dolby Vision when playing? Anything I need to make sure I've done correctly in the settings?

Thanks in advance.
The TV should put up a HDR or DV logo in the top right of the screen for a few seconds at the start of the movie. Also you can tell what it is using by looking at what viewing mode the TV is in. LG uses different modes for SDR, HDR10 and DV.

You can press STATUS on the UB450 remote as well which will show if HDR is being used. See page 17 of the UB450 manual

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Definitely didn't put a logo up at the start of the movie, so guessing I've done something wrong.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Definitely didn't put a logo up at the start of the movie, so guessing I've done something wrong.
Generally Panasonic initial setup sets everything right. Try your Incredibles 2 UHD again and check what viewing mode the TV is in. The duration of the logo which flashes up on the TV can be of the blink and you'll miss it.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I'll try it again - I was bit reluctant to get into 4K UHD due to issues like this, kind of wished I'd just kept with Blu-Ray now really. It's much less hassle.

Number 6

Distinguished Member
I’ll keep that in mind :)

Sisig

Standard Member
On a recent trip to Japan, I bought a Panasonic DP-UB45-K Blu-ray player (which I am assuming is the Japan-domestic version of the UB450).

I connected it to a Onkyo TX-NR696 AVR, which is connected to an LG C9 OLED. All the HDMI cables I use are High Speed HDMI w/ Ethernet (purchased from Amazon Basics). I was able to go see the Blu-ray player menu on the TV, and went through the quick settings on the Panasonic, and everything seemed fine.

But when I tried testing both a 4K Blu-ray and normal 1080p Blu-ray, things got weird. I could hear audio, and can even see subtitles (one of the Blu-rays is an anime movie), but the actual movie video wasn’t coming out.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on troubleshooting?

Fillius

On a recent trip to Japan, I bought a Panasonic DP-UB45-K Blu-ray player (which I am assuming is the Japan-domestic version of the UB450).

I connected it to a Onkyo TX-NR696 AVR, which is connected to an LG C9 OLED. All the HDMI cables I use are High Speed HDMI w/ Ethernet (purchased from Amazon Basics). I was able to go see the Blu-ray player menu on the TV, and went through the quick settings on the Panasonic, and everything seemed fine.

But when I tried testing both a 4K Blu-ray and normal 1080p Blu-ray, things got weird. I could hear audio, and can even see subtitles (one of the Blu-rays is an anime movie), but the actual movie video wasn’t coming out.

Has anyone experienced this? Any tips on troubleshooting?
Double check you have the HDMI plugged into the Video+Audio HDMI out. The other is audio only, but will output some basic video because HDMI needs both to operate.

Sisig

Standard Member
Double check you have the HDMI plugged into the Video+Audio HDMI out. The other is audio only, but will output some basic video because HDMI needs both to operate.
Yes, the cable is connected to the correct HDMI port.

I tested a couple of other Blu-rays, but had inconsistent results. Here is what I observed so far:
1. Spider-Man: Far from Home (4K Blu-ray) - did not show Blu-ray menu, played sound, no video
2.Castle of Cagliostro (1080p Blu-ray) - did not show Blu-ray menu, played sound and showed subtitles, no video
3. Back to the Future (1080p Blu-ray) - showed menu, video & audio (no issues)
4. Chef (1080p Blu-ray) - showed menu, played sound, no video

Fillius

Yes, the cable is connected to the correct HDMI port.

I tested a couple of other Blu-rays, but had inconsistent results. Here is what I observed so far:
1. Spider-Man: Far from Home (4K Blu-ray) - did not show Blu-ray menu, played sound, no video
2.Castle of Cagliostro (1080p Blu-ray) - did not show Blu-ray menu, played sound and showed subtitles, no video
3. Back to the Future (1080p Blu-ray) - showed menu, video & audio (no issues)
4. Chef (1080p Blu-ray) - showed menu, played sound, no video
It's behaving like a cable bandwidth issue. If you have any other cables, try swapping them out.

What output have you got set on the player? i.e. 4K, 4:4:4 and 12 bit?

You could try changing to 1080p output temporarily and see if that helps. The Onkyo may need switching to 'enhanced' mode for HDMI to pass 4:4:4.

Sisig

Standard Member
It's behaving like a cable bandwidth issue. If you have any other cables, try swapping them out.

What output have you got set on the player? i.e. 4K, 4:4:4 and 12 bit?

You could try changing to 1080p output temporarily and see if that helps. The Onkyo may need switching to 'enhanced' mode for HDMI to pass 4:4:4.

Thanks for the tip! I changed the HDMI cable, and now I get both video and sound! Played Spider-man: Far from Home and the TV also indicated I was in Dolby Vision as well. Thanks so much!

Fillius

Thanks for the tip! I changed the HDMI cable, and now I get both video and sound! Played Spider-man: Far from Home and the TV also indicated I was in Dolby Vision as well. Thanks so much!
No problem, I'm glad you got it working!

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Hi all is the ub820 picture quality wise any better than this one?
For blu-ray they are probably much the same. For UHD the UB820 has a more powerful SOC, HDR Optimiser feature and more picture adjustment controls. So may win on that front if you want to tweak the picture. But whether you could see the difference between them without doing a direct A/B compare I don't know.

Try looking at

Last edited: