Panasonic DP-UB450 Owners Thread

miggyboys

Hi all , wonder if you can help me ,im on my second 450,both of machines wont connect to the internet they say they have connected by when you try to do an update it say cant connect ,ive tried diffrent cables turned firewall of my virgin hub png the player ,says its getting traffic,rebooted internet ,did a factory reset on the machine,nothing,panasonic havent been much help,does anyone else have this problem.

Cheefs david
Which magazine tested the Panasonic DP-UB450 and also had issues with internet connectivity. Quote 'We weren't able to successfully complete a firmware update either; we kept getting a failure message stating that it wasn't connected to a network, although it was'.

miggyboys

Are some still having internet connectivity issues? I like the specs of the player and the cost (about £180 now) but I think I'm steering clear because of these problems. I'm looking at the Sony UBPX700 instead which is a shame as Panasonic are one Blu ray brand that tend to display images correctly instead of interfering with them.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Are some still having internet connectivity issues? I like the specs of the player and the cost (about £180 now) but I think I'm steering clear because of these problems. I'm looking at the Sony UBPX700 instead which is a shame as Panasonic are one Blu ray brand that tend to display images correctly instead of interfering with them.
As it appears the only thing which the UB450 can do with the internet is download firmware updates I wouldn't let these problems put you off. You can still update the firmware if necessary via USB.

Having said that I've a X700 which I'd take over a UB450. I initially replaced a UB820 with a X700 and didn't see much, if any difference, between them PQ wise. I did get a UB820 again later though as its HDR Optimiser and picture adjustment controls are better if you like tweaking the picture.

Last edited:

Broken Hope

I couldn't use a Sony player the non auto switching DV would be a deal breaker, am I honestly supposed to know which disc uses which HDR format? How can Sony put out a player with such stupid limitations?

miggyboys

As it appears the only thing which the UB450 can do with the internet is download firmware updates I wouldn't let these problems put you off. You can still update the firmware if necessary via USB.

Having said that I've a X700 which I'd take over a UB450. I initially replaced a UB820 with a X700 and didn't see much, if any difference, between them PQ wise. I did get a UB820 again later though as its HDR Optimiser and picture adjustment controls are better if you like tweaking the picture.
Hi doug56hl, great to hear your experience of the various UHD players, thanks!

miggyboys

I couldn't use a Sony player the non auto switching DV would be a deal breaker, am I honestly supposed to know which disc uses which HDR format? How can Sony put out a player with such stupid limitations?
Hi Broken Hope, I'm glad you mentioned this, that is a ridiculous bug. That would put me off buying it.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Hi doug56hl, great to hear your experience of the various UHD players, thanks!
I've written at far more length and detail of my experiences with the two players elsewhere on these forums, but I don't know where and I've no intention of doing it again :)
Hi Broken Hope, I'm glad you mentioned this, that is a ridiculous bug. That would put me off buying it.
You and @Broken Hope are missing one thing. The Sony X700 and the X800 M2 are the only players now available (Oppo 203/205 were the others) which let you do forced DV on blu-rays and UHDs. One benefit of that is you give a new lease of life for blu-rays which can now play in HDR on DV TVs. Results are better than the HDR Effect modes on LG Oleds and best on Pixar etc animations stuff Question - Dolby vision worth it?

miggyboys

doug56hl

Are you referring to forced DV as adding HDR to Blu Rays that don't have it natively?

miggyboys

Yes.
It kicks TV into DV viewing modes. Results are a bit marmite like. Some like it, others don't.
I wouldn't like that, I'm a bit of a purist. Sony players generally have great reliable software with frequent firmware updates, which is a big plus. But I'm leaning back towards the DP-UB450 if it has HDR autoswitching. Can anyone confirm if it has for HDR / HDR+ / Dolby Vision?

Last edited:

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't like that, I'm a bit of a purist. Sony players generally have great reliable software with frequent firmware updates, which is a big plus. But I'm leaning back towards the DP-UB450 if it has HDR autoswitching.
I've a lot of Disney/Pixar blu-rays and have no intention of double dipping and replaceing them with the soon to be released UHDs as the results of playing them in forced DV on the X700 are good enough for me. So saving around £1800-£2000 for the cost of replacing my near 100 animation blu-rays...:smashin:
I'm fairly purist too but there are limits as to how far that applies.

Last edited:

miggyboys

Does anyone think this player's quality isn't that good?

Which.co.uk tested it and they didn't like it at all. They stated that DVDs had disappointing picture quality with soft/fuzzy images on screen, Blu-rays had colour banding issues, 4K discs had skin tones that didn't look right and sound quality was frequently muffled.

Does anyone know if the UB450 can be made multi-region for DVD using one of those remotes available on eBay? Traditionally this has worked for years, but although the adverts mention earlier UHD players, the 450 isn't specifically mentioned. The advert may just be out of date.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know if the UB450 can be made multi-region for DVD using one of those remotes available on eBay? Traditionally this has worked for years, but although the adverts mention earlier UHD players, the 450 isn't specifically mentioned. The advert may just be out of date.
From what I've read all Panasonic players from decades ago to now can be changed to MR via that remote hack. It would be odd if the UB450 was the only one which couldn't.

damnfinecoffee

I just picked up a GZ950 so I'm looking for a player that support HDR10+ and DV.
I found a few comments about the difference in price of the UB450 and UB820 being quite small so you may as well opt for the 820 but now the 450 appears tp be £110 cheaper. What are your thoughts on the 450 and is the 820 worth the extra £110?
I don't need any built-in apps and I'll only be using it for 4K discs.
Thanks in advance

@doug56hl I know you mentioned the lack of HDR Optimiser with the 450, any further thoughts?

Last edited:

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
I just picked up a GZ950 so I'm looking for a player that support HDR10+ and DV.
I found a few comments about the difference in price of the UB450 and UB820 being quite small so you may as well opt for the 820 but now the 450 appears tp be £110 cheaper. What are your thoughts on the 450 and is the 820 worth the extra £110?
I don't need any built-in apps and I'll only be using it for 4K discs.
Thanks in advance
The UB450 is a very cut down player in terms of build quality, SOC and features compared to the UB820.
What is most lacking is the HDR Optimiser feature which is the main selling point of the UB820/UB9000 models. This can tone map the output for HDR10 discs to suit the capabilities of the display. While a TV/PJ can do that as well the player can do the heavy lifting so the TV has less work to do. But having said that you can get similarish results using a TVs own dynamic tone mapping feature (if available)

HDR Optimiser feature/Picture Adjustment controls doesn't function with DV as that has end to end control of the picture from player to TV. But for HDR10 and blu-ray discs these picture adjustment controls allow tweaking of the picture to suit different discs (increase/decrease black levels is one I use a lot). The UB820 has a larger range of adjustments available including a system gamma one. But obviously if you aren't bothered about tweaking and fine tuning the picture these options are of no value.

If money is an issue you can pick up refurb UB820s from the Panasonic ebay store for around £220. They come with 12 months warranty. I'd take a refurb UB820 over a new UB450.
They don't have any available at the moment but do them fairly frequently.

Also worth keeping an eye open for are the ebay discount codes (10%, 15% and 20%) when they can be used for the likes of the Panasonic ebay store or other retailers like Currys and Hughes Direct. I got a new UB820 for around £250 from Hughes Direct ebay store using one of these codes.

Youtube comparison between the two players which is well worth a look

Fillius

The UB450 is also missing an audio-sync adjustment which my UB420 (and therefore probably UB820) had. This is critical if the processing time of the TV/AVR/soundbar differs when using separate HDMI outputs for Audio/Video.

With my GZ950 watching a DV disc on the UB450 there is a small lag compared to my Onkyo receiver. It's not an issue with game mode enabled on the TV, but I don't want to use game mode incase the picture quality takes a hit to prioritise performance.

I would have gone for the UB820 if my media cabinet could fit it :(.

Bluelou

Novice Member
The UB391 might be a better option than the UB450 for those who need HDR optimisation. No wifi but separate audio/video HDMI connections. £129 on Amazon. Anybody got it?

Specs:

Fillius

The UB391 might be a better option than the UB450 for those who need HDR optimisation. No wifi but separate audio/video HDMI connections. £129 on Amazon. Anybody got it?

Specs:
It doesn't seem to have DV or HDR10+, but I guess there's a lot of older TV's/projectors out there that don't support either and would really benefit from the HDR optimiser.

The UB420 has HDR10+ but not DV, so it would be suitable for Samsung TV owners. It used to be available for around that price. If you don't want DV then it's a better, more premium option than the UB450 with the HDR optimiser.

daz_75

Got a panny ub450 and watched my first 4k bluray the other day (solo a star wars story) and looked amazing in HDR. Went to watch Jurassic world also HDR and I couldn't believe how bad it looks. Weird grainy affects on all the people. Any ideas what's going on there, see pic.

Watched the second Jurassic world and that went to Dolby vision and also looked Amazing

Attachments

DATJB

Novice Member
Does anyone know, what exactly the progressive picture settings do?

You can choose between Auto/Movie/ and I think it was Show?

Endol

I'm really hoping someone can help here!

Just got this blu ray player and was testing it out. I cannot got the machine to output 3D blu rays.

I have a Panasonic ex750 which is 3D and have been using it for that purpose fine

I have one hdmi going into the TV (hdmi1) and the other into my amp. 4kHDR works fine, but everytime I play a 3Dblu ray it plays it in 2D! Further , the UHD player causes the 3D options on the TV menu to be blacked out. I have tried this on other hdmi outputs and the same thing happens. Before plugging it in I can select the 3D mode on the TV menu but then when the UHD is plugged in that option goes away.

In the UHD menu itself every things seems to be in order. 3D video playback automatic, 3D output original.

Funnily enough when you pop in A 3D film you Dan choose to watch it in 3D or 2D as an option from this player. When I select 3D it plays it in 2D. When I select 2D a message comes up from the disc saying the disc isn't recogning a 3D compatible hardware?!!

I'm completely stumped!