Panasonic DP-UB450 Owners Thread

Hi all and greetings from Finland. Any ideas for my problem. I have UB-450 and Samsung Q60T 58" tv. I have struggled now some time with 4K picture quality from disc. From Youtube and Netflix its really good, but movies from discs not so good. Really hard to find any difference between regular blu-ray. Colours washed etc. No difference in resolution.

Sorry for my poor English. :) Is there anything what I can do from player settings? Is it ok to keep that 4K(50/60p) 4:4:4 setup on even not sure what my tv can handle? Also I have 24p output automatic. If I take it off, picture quality suffers a bit. Also that deep colour setup, is it ok to keep max 12bit?

Any ideas are more than welcome. I have tried to calibrate every possible vay under all tv modes. Standard, dynamic, movie and film maker. Via streaming 4K quality is fantastic. Example today I tested Jaws 4K, I cant see basically any difference between regular blu-ray. Also tried with Godzilla king of the monsters and Fury Road. Really minor difference between 4K and blu-ray if at all. And streamed 4K lot better than same from disc. :/
Welcome to the forums.
Jaws 4K is not a huge step up from the blu-ray but Godzilla King of the Monsters and especially Fury Road 4K you should be able to see a difference.

Your washed out colours sounds like perhaps the range is set incorrectly as PC levels 0-255 (full RGB) rather than the required 16-235 (limited RGB) for discs. This could be either on the TV or the player. For the UB450 check that deep colour is on and HDMI advanced is ycbcr. Try setting the output to 4:2:2 and 10 bit just to see if it makes any difference.

I think though you need to find the setting on the TV which controls whether it displays HDMI input at PC (and game) full RGB levels rather than limited RGB blu-ray levels. Also is your TV definitely in a HDR viewing mode when playing 4K UHDs?

Last edited:
Welcome to the fortums.
Jaws 4K is not a huge step up from the blu-ray but Godzilla King of the Monsters and especially Fury Road 4K you should be able to see a difference.

Your washed out colours sounds like perhaps the range is set incorrectly as PC levels 0-255 (full RGB) rather than the required 16-235 (limited RGB) for discs. This could be either on the TV or the player. For the UB450 check that deep colour is on and HDMI advanced is ycbcr. Try setting the output to 4:2:2 and 10 bit just to see if it makes any difference.

I think though you need to find the setting on the TV which controls whether it displays HDMI input at PC (and game) full RGB levels rather than limited RGB blu-ray levels.
Thanks for answering!

4K(50/60p) 4:4:4 includes 4:4:4/8bit and 4:2:2/12bit. Other option is 4K(50/60p) 4:2:0 8bit and third option is off. It says if 24p output is automatic, 24p video is output in 4K/24p regardless of this setting.

Colour mode is YCbCr and deep colour gamut is Auto (12bit priority). There is also 10bit and off.

HDR/colour gamut output is HDR/BT.2020 (auto). There is also SDR/BT.2020 (Auto) and off.

I cant find any RGB range adjustments from Samsung tv. :/ There is only game mode settings if game mode is on. You can adjuat hdr content if console is attached. But I assume thats not a case.

Thanks for answering!

4K(50/60p) 4:4:4 includes 4:4:4/8bit and 4:2:2/12bit. Other option is 4K(50/60p) 4:2:0 8bit and third option is off. It says if 24p output is automatic, 24p video is output in 4K/24p regardless of this setting.

Colour mode is YCbCr and deep colour gamut is Auto (12bit priority). There is also 10bit and off.

HDR/colour gamut output is HDR/BT.2020 (auto). There is also SDR/BT.2020 (Auto) and off.

I cant find any RGB range adjustments from Samsung tv. :/ There is only game mode settings if game mode is on. You can adjuat hdr content if console is attached. But I assume thats not a case.
It might be under black levels on the TV. My LG has choice of low or high which corresponds to limited or full RGB.

On the TV you want UHD colour on, game mode off and HDR10+ on for the HDMI port the player is using. Best settings for QLED and UHD gaming on Samsung TVs

You didn't reply to whether the TV is definitely in an HDR viewing mode when playing a disc.
Usually TVs will flash up HDR logo or have HDR viewing modes with different names to SDR ones.

It might be under black levels on the TV. My LG has choice of low or high which corresponds to limited or full RGB.

On the TV you want UHD colour on, game mode off and HDR10+ on for the HDMI port the player is using. Best settings for QLED and UHD gaming on Samsung TVs

You didn't reply to whether the TV is definitely in an HDR viewing mode when playing a disc.
Usually TVs will flash up HDR logo or have HDR viewing modes with different names to SDR ones.
Oh sorry. Yes, in tv source window it appears around blu-ray icon HDR or in Jaws case HDR10+ around icon.

I dont have either black lvl adjustments. Hmm what it could be in Samsung...?

Did I assume too much, when I thought also resolution and details would be lot better in 4K? Not only colours. Also that bugs me that streaming is perfect. :/ Need better player?

Oh sorry. Yes, in tv source window it appears around blu-ray icon HDR or in Jaws case HDR10+ around icon.

I dont have either black lvl adjustments. Hmm what it could be in Samsung...?

Did I assume too much, when I thought also resolution and details would be lot better in 4K? Not only colours. Also that bugs me that streaming is perfect. :/ Need better player?
There does seem to be a black level setting somewhere on some Samsung TVs
What is HDMI Black Level in Samsung H Series TV? | Samsung Support India

Are you viewing the TV straight on? a review of it notes The image looks washed out when viewed from an angle.

Perhaps you should ask a question in the Samsung TV forums re the washed out picture.

Resolution/details will vary by disc. Some are no better than blu-ray, some are very much better.
Discs with a 4K DI usually have the best details. Can also depend whether movie was done on film or using digital cameras. And age of the movie itself.

There are few threads on the forums like this one which list UHDs with best picture quality.
4K disks with reference quality picture and audio?
Mad Max Fury Road usually makes these lists so I don't think it's an issue of a poor choice of disc to best show off the capabilities of 4K UHD.

There does seem to be a black level setting somewhere on some Samsung TVs
What is HDMI Black Level in Samsung H Series TV? | Samsung Support India

Are you viewing the TV straight on? a review of it notes The image looks washed out when viewed from an angle.

Perhaps you should ask a question in the Samsung TV forums re the washed out picture.

Resolution/details will vary by disc. Some are no better than blu-ray, some are very much better.
Discs with a 4K DI usually have the best details. Can also depend whether movie was done on film or using digital cameras. And age of the movie itself.

There are few threads on the forums like this one which list UHDs with best picture quality.
4K disks with reference quality picture and audio?
Mad Max Fury Road usually makes these lists so I don't think it's an issue of a poor choice of disc to best show off the capabilities of 4K UHD.
I understood you can only adjust black level, if you use RGB from player. I have that YCbCr.

I have colour space auto. If I put it custom, there is adjustment color gamut only if repeating 4K disc. You can change between DCI-P3 and BT.2020. this appears only with 4K content.

I understood you can only adjust black level, if you use RGB from player. I have that YCbCr.

I have colour space auto. If I put it custom, there is adjustment color gamut only if repeating 4K disc. You can change between DCI-P3 and BT.2020. this appears only with 4K content.
As I said my LG TVs have adjustable black level from YCbCr. Set incorrectly this results in a washed out picture on blu-ray/UHD. May not apply to Samsung TVs but Sony TVs I've owned also had similar. The player can also output RGB so you could try that in case that then reveals a high/low setting on the TV.

As the player outputs BT.2020 from UHD you could try setting the TV to that rather than auto and seeing if it makes any difference. I don't expect it will, but you never know.

Hi all and greetings from Finland. Any ideas for my problem. I have UB-450 and Samsung Q60T 58" tv. I have struggled now some time with 4K picture quality from disc. From Youtube and Netflix its really good, but movies from discs not so good. Really hard to find any difference between regular blu-ray. Colours washed etc. No difference in resolution.

Sorry for my poor English. :) Is there anything what I can do from player settings? Is it ok to keep that 4K(50/60p) 4:4:4 setup on even not sure what my tv can handle? Also I have 24p output automatic. If I take it off, picture quality suffers a bit. Also that deep colour setup, is it ok to keep max 12bit?

Any ideas are more than welcome. I have tried to calibrate every possible vay under all tv modes. Standard, dynamic, movie and film maker. Via streaming 4K quality is fantastic. Example today I tested Jaws 4K, I cant see basically any difference between regular blu-ray. Also tried with Godzilla king of the monsters and Fury Road. Really minor difference between 4K and blu-ray if at all. And streamed 4K lot better than same from disc. :/

Hi mate, I see others are helping but for reference here are some screen caps comparisons for Jaws and Fury Road. Not much in it I'd say. May be more differences depending on which Blu-ray release you're watching etc.

Cheers

As I said my LG TVs have adjustable black level from YCbCr. Set incorrectly this results in a washed out picture on blu-ray/UHD. May not apply to Samsung TVs but Sony TVs I've owned also had similar. The player can also output RGB so you could try that in case that then reveals a high/low setting on the TV.

As the player outputs BT.2020 from UHD you could try setting the TV to that rather than auto and seeing if it makes any difference. I don't expect it will, but you never know.
Thanks a lot! I will try later today! I change RGB from Panasonic and test what it does or open.

Hi mate, I see others are helping but for reference here are some screen caps comparisons for Jaws and Fury Road. Not much in it I'd say. May be more differences depending on which Blu-ray release you're watching etc.

Cheers
Thanks! I will try. So when you click picture it should be 4K inside box and outside regular blu-ray? If so, mine has no such difference. Colours seem more light with 4K content than blu-ray. Because streaming is really good thats why I have focused to my player if it has something wrong. :/

The only way is to manually change it to the desired resolution.

The 'Auto' setting always outputs 4K to a 4K TV.

It's a shame the Panasonic players don't have a 'Source Direct' option like the Oppo players (not even the UB9000).
I know this is a very old post, but I recently bought this player, and discovered that if I set resolution to 1080p to match regular Blu-rays, the player still outputs 4K when playing UHD discs :)

I know this is a very old post, but I recently bought this player, and discovered that if I set resolution to 1080p to match regular Blu-rays, the player still outputs 4K when playing UHD discs :)
Interesting, so perhaps there is a sort of source direct option. I guess it will then depend on the upscaling in your TV which may or may not be better than the player. Mine are both Panasonic using very similar chips so I doubt there would be much in it.

Cheers

Just reading this thread as interested in this player. So the thing with Jaws is that a marked difference in PQ really is the Dolby Vision version of the film. As the poster above is using a Samsung TV the differences seen won’t be that great unfortunately.

But back to this topic and the player..how does it stack up to the UB820? Thanks.

I have both and to my eyesight, there isn't a lot to choose between them. The 820 is a better built model, with more picture tweaking features, integrated PSU and so forth, but if I hadn't bought the 820 first before buying the 450 I'd still be happy.

Thanks for the replies. So to answer your questions. My amp (Denon 2500) can pass 4k HDR but it was my understanding that it can't pass hdr10+ signals ?

The HDMI (audio) output mode option is not on the UHD player menu , I only have the video option. So it would seem I can't tell it to only have audio going to the amp, despite the fact that it's working (ie. Audio is going to the amp and a 4khdr signal is going to TV directly, ) just oddly not a 3D signal.

It would appear that the player is turning the 3D signal to 2D and playing 3D blu ray discs in 2D (something I didn't even know was possible)

EDIT: so tried the suggestion of using the single HDMI cable and it works a charm - 3D working. So there's a clearly an issue with the second HDMI . I don't have the option of selecting audio only for it, but I have the latest firmware!
hi i got same issue as you , i can't play any 3d content on my panasonic , it not recognized and also block it on my projector settings so its won't apper in menu , i got also oppo 93 and its run flawlessly witin ,i use only one hdmi port this one for audio+video and it won't work , how should i set settings in panasonic to play 3d any help guys ? i change video settings to 1080p but it won't help

also to get more specific i got sony vpl-vw290 pj , when i switch of the panasonic at menu show 3d option , i have auto there , but when i only turn on panasonic 3d option is out of menu at projector ?!? nosing of it and at player i got that this blurry requites 3d player and 3d display rrrrrr

Hi, quick random question. Could anyone confirm please whether this player enables an automatic screen saver if the content is paused for a brief period? (Akin to the Oppo?).

Or does the static image remain until the user resumes the footage?

Many thanks.

Hi, quick random question. Could anyone confirm please whether this player enables an automatic screen saver if the content is paused for a brief period? (Akin to the Oppo?).

Or does the static image remain until the user resumes the footage?

Many thanks.
No screen saver on the Panasonics. The only thing they DO offer in a somewhat similar fashion is that black "Ultra HD Blu-ray" logo screen that pops on when you stop a disc (once; if you press the stop button on the remote twice, you go back to the home page).

No screen saver on the Panasonics. The only thing they DO offer in a somewhat similar fashion is that black "Ultra HD Blu-ray" logo screen that pops on when you stop a disc (once; if you press the stop button on the remote twice, you go back to the home page).

Thanks for that. Is it a static logo screen or does the image move around? Cheers.

Thanks for that. Is it a static logo screen or does the image move around? Cheers.
You're welcome.

It is a static screen -- looks like this:

1640895336921.png

1640895352058.png

It arrived today, player, power cable and remote all looked new, the box had seen better days which I obviously don't care about. I've quickly tested a few 4k at points that always froze on my Sony X700 and they played with no issues. I've got the player plugged into my Samsung Q800T, then soundbar goes to Sony Xh9505. Are there any sound/picture settings on the Panasonic anyone can recommend, I'm useless at that kind of thing and can't remember what I had on the Sony. Thanks

Hi Bakey, I have seen your posts over on the Sony X700 thread. How are you finding the Ub450 over the Sony? The freezing on UHD discs is driving me crazy on the X700 and I was wondering do you find the Panasonic a lot better or worse? Not only from a disc not playing but in general terms as well.

I have both and to my eyesight, there isn't a lot to choose between them. The 820 is a better built model, with more picture tweaking features, integrated PSU and so forth, but if I hadn't bought the 820 first before buying the 450 I'd still be happy.

Can I ask do you think the Ub820 is worth £110 more than the Ub450? If someone isn't going to be messing with the picture settings and leaving that to the TV? (I have a CX OLED) I didn't change any of the picture settings on my X700.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom