Panasonic DMW-BWT800 Recording Modes & Conversion

quaixy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I understand why these dual tuner units record the over the air format, in DR mode, (as there's only one encoder for converion) & very efficient it is too, 1 hour BBC HD under 2 GB).

What I don't get is why conversion to HG or HX mode produces bigger files. In HG mode nearly 3 times the size.

I found I could put 11 hours of BBC HD content, in DR mode, onto a single layer BD-R disk, but, although I could see the picture on my PC (Sony Vaio with Matshita BD drivem using Coral WinDVD BD), I couldn't hear any sound. My PS3 wouldn't play the video at all.

So I find myself, making DR recordings of BBC HD onto BR-R, then converting DR -> HX & making a second disk (only 6 hours capacity this time) for playback elsewhere.

This is fine for BBC HD, but not ITV HD due to their Copy Once policy. I usually convert to HX, which auto-discards the DR copy, before burning to BD.

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to get other files onto the HDD & then onto BD. I have loads of mp4 files on my PC's HDD & NAS, that I'd like to archive onto BD, but my PC's BD drive is only a reader.

Finally, I used to be able to archive (& covert) my old Topfield PVR's, files onto my PC via the Toppy's USB port. With Wifi onboard, is there a way of getting the Panasonic to be part of the local network & share/transfer files?

Hi,

I understand why these dual tuner units record the over the air format, in DR mode, (as there's only one encoder for converion) & very efficient it is too, 1 hour BBC HD under 2 GB).

What I don't get is why conversion to HG or HX mode produces bigger files. In HG mode nearly 3 times the size.
It is because any encoding takes no account of what was there before.
The video is rendered into full motion video then re-encoded.
The original could be super high definition or complete low quality garbage but if you put it through any encoder, you will get particular file sizes according to the degree of compression set by that particular quality setting. The size will only be subject to variables according video content / number of scen changes / fast motion etc.
I found I could put 11 hours of BBC HD content, in DR mode, onto a single layer BD-R disk, but, although I could see the picture on my PC (Sony Vaio with Matshita BD drivem using Coral WinDVD BD), I couldn't hear any sound. My PS3 wouldn't play the video at all.
Probably because HE-AAC sound is used on BBC broadcasts which has little support elsewhere.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom