• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMREX85 Loss of digital Channels

oldcro

My DMR-EX85 dvd hdd recorder has suddenly lost all Freeview (digital) features. It will not display, record anything and all programme information has gone. Still works via analogue but everything digital is blank. The incoming signal is fine, as the aerial is connected via the recorder to the TV and that works no problems.

Any idea what the problem is? I wondered if it is repairable or a candidate for the skip?

Thanks in advance.

oldcro.:lease:

Gavtech

Administrator
My DMR-EX85 dvd hdd recorder has suddenly lost all Freeview (digital) features. It will not display, record anything and all programme information has gone. Still works via analogue but everything digital is blank. The incoming signal is fine, as the aerial is connected via the recorder to the TV and that works no problems.

Any idea what the problem is? I wondered if it is repairable or a candidate for the skip?

Thanks in advance.

oldcro.:lease:

Welcome to the forum.

It is probably repairable. This problem, assuming it is of this 'stock fault' variety has been traced to a failure of an electrolytic capacitor in the digital tuner supply which would not be expensive to repair.

It would be more significantly so if the tuner itself has failed.

But, try disconnecting the unit for an overnight period and you may just find that things are back to normal the next day. Nothing to lose by trying.

Have you attempted to retune the unit?

oldcro

Thanks Gavtech, I had tried retuning and leaving overnight so it could be that capacitor you mentioned. Makes a lot of sense loosing all power to the digital tuner so will check repair costs.:thumbsup:

Speedee

Standard Member
I have exactly the same problem with mine :eek: . I turned it on this evening, got a message to add more channels? I'm not sure what it said exactly as I didn't read it properly! I'm used to seeing these types of message (have a Panasonic 20 too), it's usually found a rubbish station selling jewellery or something, and it would muck up my Profiles!!

I had no digital channels. I didn't try analogue, I tried retuning and only got the analogue channels. I last used the recorder to record the MotoGP 2 weeks ago. The next race is repeated tonight - missed the race early this morning!! :boring:

I will try turning it off and see what happens after a while.

The unit is coming up to being 2 years old! I still have a bit of guarantee left, but it is full of stuff I haven't watched yet though :(

Update:

I left it off over night, but it still doesn't see any digital channels, so I will have to find my receipt, I got it from John Lewis in December 2006, I'm glad they gave a 2 year guarantee!

Do you think I should copy off all that I want to watch (there is some stuff I won't bother with!) - will the service centre wipe the HDD?

(I thought Panasonic stuff was good - doesn't last long, does it!! Is this normal!!)

Thanks, Speedee

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
[ Note - when adding an update it is better to make a new post, otherwise it can get missed if it is just an edit. ]
I left it off over night, but it still doesn't see any digital channels, so I will have to find my receipt, I got it from John Lewis in December 2006, I'm glad they gave a 2 year guarantee!

Do you think I should copy off all that I want to watch (there is some stuff I won't bother with!) - will the service centre wipe the HDD?

(I thought Panasonic stuff was good - doesn't last long, does it!! Is this normal!!)

Thanks, Speedee

It would be a good idea to extract / copy / watch anything you consider vital. With a bit of luck it will not be necessary to interfere with the hard disc, but in servicing, depending on what needs to be done, it is always a risk... and some service engineers will format the disc routinely to ensure the best reliability.

You could try sticking a note to the unit when you take it for servicing, asking if at all possible that the programs on the HDD are preserved.

Regarding reliability, Panasonic is THE most reliable DVDR maker according to independent testing.
Problems of this sort can and do occur to any and all equipment.

We hear about a lot of problems here, naturally because we attract them.

The main enemy of reliability is heat, so always ensure the best possible ventilation all around your unit.

Speedee

Standard Member
Thanks Gavtech

I did think about doing another post! The coin fell on the wrong side :suicide:

There has always been loads of air around the unit - it sits on the middle shelf of a glass plasma stand, although there is a radiator close by, but most of its hot air should rise!?

I thought it might be a good idea to copy stuff off. I have some DVD-RW's I'm not using, but if they have been in a PC will they still work, (and vice-versa) I've a nagging thought I read something somewhere about RW's as they had to be formatted once (it's been a long time since i got them!).

Thanks, Speedee :)

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
I thought it might be a good idea to copy stuff off. I have some DVD-RW's I'm not using, but if they have been in a PC will they still work, (and vice-versa) I've a nagging thought I read something somewhere about RW's as they had to be formatted once (it's been a long time since i got them!).

If you put the machine into DVD mode and then insert an RW disc, you will automatically be given an option to format it if it is not of the correct format.

It is quite quick to format.

oddysey2222

Standard Member
Thnx for all your help. replaced cap from farnell and it tuned in to digital channels ok. soldered new cap to legs of old cap and laid it on it's side. plenty of room.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thnx for all your help. replaced cap from farnell and it tuned in to digital channels ok. soldered new cap to legs of old cap and laid it on it's side. plenty of room.

Good news.... and Welcome to the forum.

For those who need to know, here is the relevant thread about replacement of the relevant capacitor: C1533

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom