Panasonic DMREX78 - connection help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by steve33shoreham, Jan 29, 2009.

1. steve33shoreham

steve33shoreham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    morning guys

I’ve just bought this unit and need a bit of advice on what connections to use to get freeview on both the dvdr and my Panasonic PX60.

My plan is to have:

Aerial in to Sky+

Sky+ RF OUT to DVDR RF in
    Sky+ TV Scart to DVDR Scart in

DVDR RF OUT to TV RF IN
    DVDR Scart to TV Scart
    DVDR HDMI to TV HDMI

Will the freeview signal transfer through the scart connections to the DVDR and TV or do I have to have the RF leads connected all the way from the Sky+ to DVDr to TV

It seems like a bit of cabling overkill, but I’m not sure if the freeview signal transmits thru scart.

Cheers, Steve

:thumbsup:

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    freeview transmits through the coaxial aerial cable not scart

the ideal solution is to have the aerial straight into the dvd recorder for the best freeview signal , and then send it to your tv , as I fail to see why you need it through the sky box at all , but if you do want to use the sky box, then its aerial to panny , then to sky box , then to the tv or tv,s ( sky has 2 outputs that can be used to split the signals )

there is nothing to be gained through the sky box unless you wish to add the rf analogue channel it produces , and the panny cannot record that rf signal anyway

hdmi normally over-rides the scart on a lot of recorders so again you may need to see if you can use both at the same time , or maybe not use the scart from panny to tv

as mentioned by yourself , use the tv scart on the sky box to the dvdr input scart on the panny

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. steve33shoreham

steve33shoreham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    OK, thanks for your help. I did think this but wasn’t sure.

The reason I needed to have the Aerial in into the Sky was because I am using the RF2 out to a distribution box to feed both the freeview signal and the sky rf to other tv’s.

I believe it’s the right way to do this is my first time setting up a multiroom config.

:clap:

4. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    yes it is and I thought that is why you wanted the sky box in the loop , for magic eyes and multiroom distribution of the rf analogue channel

but the panny cannot receive analogue channels , so have the aerial to the panny first , then the sky box and then to the booster and tvs etc

if that is possible of course

otherwise your original connection method will work but you will have to move the sky analogue channel to a spare channel between 21 and 69 that isnt in use by either analogue or freeview terrestrial channels , otherwise the sky channel will interfere with the freeview mux channels or the analogue channels

so something like 10 to 12 slots need to be reserved for aerial channels , and the sky channel sat on an unused channel and not causing interference

the panny wont give you this analogue rf channel so you cannot distribute the panny signals , just scart or hdmi to the main tv

5. steve33shoreham

steve33shoreham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    "but the panny cannot receive analogue channels , so have the aerial to the panny first , then the sky box and then to the booster and tvs etc"

So you think it would be better to have the aerial into the DVDr, then the DVDr RF out into the Sky input, then Sky RF1 output to the Tv and RF2 to the distribution amp?

I understand what you mean in that it has no analogue tuner inside. But it should pass thru a freeview signal to the TV's built in freeview tuner therefore having 2 tuners operating, one of the DVDr and one on the TV, shouldn't it?

I have got my proposed setup attached as a .bmp file if you want to have a look?

“if that is possible of course”

yes no problem to do it this way, I just wondered why it would be better this way. Not to say I am not listening to your advice, just wanting to understand.

"otherwise your original connection method will work but you will have to move the sky analogue channel to a spare channel between 21 and 69 that isnt in use by either analogue or freeview terrestrial channels , otherwise the sky channel will interfere with the freeview mix channels or the analogue channels"

Again I wasn't sure if the digital freeview signal would interfere with the sky analogue signal. I am having a new aerial fitted on Monday, so I will get the installer to help me as I cant remember how to get into the installation menu on the Sky to change the RF setting.

Attached Files:

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    The order of the equipment makes absolutely no difference to anything but it is better to have the DVDR first in the chain simply because it is the most mission critical item in the chain.

You don't need to concern yourself about the order. It only needs adressing if specific problems arise.

All devices should be 'UHF transparent' outputting at unity what they intake at unity. That is the theoretical ideal but it does not always happen in practice.

It should be invisible and transparent. It can be imagined as if it was not there. RF is simply taken in and passed through. Enroute it extracts what it needs.

7. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if you go to the sky box , first , and then to the freeview dvdr recorder , the sky box rf channel MAY interfere with the freeview or analogue passed through channels coming in from the aerial

so if the incoming mux channel was on say ch68 and the sky box was on ch68 , the rf sky channel would mask and block the mux channel on ch68 , you have to avoid this at all costs , and it makes sense to let the dvdr recorder have first go at any freeview mux channels from the aerial , then have everything else connected later as its all less critical , and lets the dvdr get the best from its aerial input

obviously the rf in and outs pass through both the analogue channels and the freeview channels to all devices , the last being the tv

yes to the following statement you made

So you think it would be better to have the aerial into the DVDr, then the DVDr RF out into the Sky input, then Sky RF1 output to the Tv and RF2 to the distribution amp?

yes the digital signal can interfere with the sky rf analogue signal , and vice versa

I am trying to help you avoid these channel conflicts

the sky installer menu. press Services,4 01 select

8. steve33shoreham

steve33shoreham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for that, your advice are very much appreciated and i'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers, Steve :smashin:

9. maxydude

maxydude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if it possible to connect the DMREX78 to a PC monitor and use it as a TV?

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    Welcome to the forum.

It would entirely depend on the input capability of the monitor.

With most monitors it would not be possible as they do not have appropriate inputs.

If it had either HDMI, component, s-video or composite inputs and could be set to normal Pal Video frame frequency then OK...but all that would be extremely unusual.

You would need a sound system too.
    It is all fraught with difficulties.

The simple answer is no.

11. maxydude

maxydude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply...

The monitor is a BenQ 24" with HDMI connection, and it does have some on board speakers. does that change anything or is it best to just continue to use my laptop and TV card...

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    It does change it yes... and it should support a standard 'TV type' input.so you should have no problem.