• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMREX769 or Sony RDRDC100?

ppeteyboy

Standard Member
Have decided to make the move to dvd/hdd recording after 30 years of using video tapes.Both these machines seem to get decent reviews,but I am leaning toward the Panasonic as I have a Viera 32lxd85 t.v.However I see that the Sony has Chase Playback and Pause Live t.v. does any one know if these features are available on the Panny?I would like to record from freeview occasionally direct to dvd by-passing the hard drive,is this possible with either of these recorders?Thanking you guys in anticipation(This is my first post)

Gavtech

Administrator
Have decided to make the move to dvd/hdd recording after 30 years of using video tapes.Both these machines seem to get decent reviews,but I am leaning toward the Panasonic as I have a Viera 32lxd85 t.v.However I see that the Sony has Chase Playback and Pause Live t.v. does any one know if these features are available on the Panny?I would like to record from freeview occasionally direct to dvd by-passing the hard drive,is this possible with either of these recorders?Thanking you guys in anticipation(This is my first post)

Welcome to the forum.

The Sony is NOT getting good reviews here and a few of us have very serious reservations about the very inflexible way it is configured. I cannot recommend it.

I have no such reservation about the Panasonic.
It has those features you mention and is altogether a more capable machine.

You CAN record direct to DVD if you like, but it is strongly recommended against doing so for a variety of reasons.

As you have not used these machines yet, you will find that recording to the hard drive first, and the flexibility that provides will be much simpler to do than anything you have used so far.

Good luck with your purchase.

Gavtech

Administrator
EX769 details here if you need them.

ppeteyboy

Standard Member
Thanks for your thoughts,Gavtech,as with most things new I'm finding the subject of digital recording a little bit of a minefield.I wonder if you could expand a little on the problems/difficulties one may encounter when recording direct to dvd from Freeview.Once again thanks.
ppeteyboy.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks for your thoughts,Gavtech,as with most things new I'm finding the subject of digital recording a little bit of a minefield.
It is probably much easier to 'do' than you think, once you get some 'hands-on'... provided you get a suitable setup in the first place... and you can always get plenty help here.
I wonder if you could expand a little on the problems/difficulties one may encounter when recording direct to dvd from Freeview.Once again thanks.
ppeteyboy.

I was asked the same question elsewhere today... Please see post No 5 in this thread which addresses that point.

hallcross

Standard Member
I have also been looking to buy the Panny DMR-EX769, £207 at Dixons
I have just bought a Panny HD Viera TV with Freeview.
2 questions please.
Would I still be able to watch Freeview on either machine, and record from my Virgin box, or watch from Virgin and record Freeview from either source. Would my Freeview aerial need to be plugged into my STB, then recorder, then TV?
My TV is only 780, will the upscaling be noticeable when playing a DVD to TV.

All new technology for me!!
Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
Would I still be able to watch Freeview on either machine, and record from my Virgin box, or watch from Virgin and record Freeview from either source. Would my Freeview aerial need to be plugged into my STB, then recorder, then TV?

If you record Freeview using the internal tuner of the 769 you can simultaneously watch either Virgin or Freeview - using the TV's tuner.
OR a DVD
OR a previously recorded programme from the hard disc.

If you record Virgin on the 769 you can watch Freeview - using the TV's tuner... or the programme being recorded from Virgin ONLY. [ No other access to Virgin assuming a single tuner v box]
OR a DVD
OR a previously recorded programme from the hard disc.

My TV is only 780, will the upscaling be noticeable when playing a DVD to TV.

Upscaling is largely nonsense in SD source equipment.
You may see some benefit when playing commercial DVD's

hallcross

Standard Member
Gave
Thanks for all that, explains a lot, my last question is, is it worth the extra spending on the Panasonic to match up with the TV?.

Cheers

Gavtech

Administrator
Gave
Thanks for all that, explains a lot, my last question is, is it worth the extra spending on the Panasonic to match up with the TV?.

Cheers

It is worth spending the extra on the Panasonic... full stop.
There's nothing else decent left on the market now.

If it matches you TV - all well and good.

hallcross

Standard Member
It is worth spending the extra on the Panasonic... full stop.
There's nothing else decent left on the market now.

If it matches you TV - all well and good.
Sorted and ordered!
Just need to get an HDMI cable now, I have read the threads about not overspending :)

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom