Panasonic DMREX75 or DMREX85

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen19

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first dvd recorder.

I am looking for something that will record to a hard disc but if it's a program I would like to keep, allow me to copy it onto a dvd.

I haven't got a prog scan tv yet, but it would be nice if the player could do that ready for when I upgrade ;)

It would be nice if it could play back other region dvds so that I could use this one machine rather than have a second player for my US dvds.

That's about all I want really! I read in the faqs that some freeview recorders will not record from analogue sources, so you cannot upgrade your vhs to dvd. Panasonics web site say that these players have analogue tuners, so I hope these means they could record from vhs/ld/betamax!

I used to watch tutv but I cancelled some months ago, I was wondering about tutv compatibility in case I change my mind, but since tutv don't seem to know what they are doing, I don't see how any pvr manufacturer can accomodate them! It looks to me like they are going down thew sky+ route? Anyeway that's another topic.

What are your opinions of the Panasonics? Will they do what I am looking for? Are there other features I should be looking for? The 85 model has a 250gb drive. Surely I won't need this much and the smaller drive of the 75 will be enough?

Thanks.

Hello again,

Just to follow-up my earlier post, I found a review at dabs, saying that a customer had two complaints:

1. apparently it only records in 4:3 so his widescreen camcorder recordings were useless

2. it permanently burnt subtitles onto the recording rather than give you the option to have them on or off.

How do other makes compare with this? Is the 4:3 for all analogue inputs or was it due to the way he was connecting? This was the 75, is the 85 any different?

This is a hot topic in the DVD Recorders forum (where this thread incidentally belongs).

Hello again,

Just to follow-up my earlier post, I found a review at dabs, saying that a customer had two complaints:

1. apparently it only records in 4:3 so his widescreen camcorder recordings were useless

2. it permanently burnt subtitles onto the recording rather than give you the option to have them on or off.

How do other makes compare with this? Is the 4:3 for all analogue inputs or was it due to the way he was connecting? This was the 75, is the 85 any different?

I have answered these exact questions in Post #2 of this thread, in the DVD Recorders section.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3797609&postcount=2

There is much discussion on it.

Hope that helps.

I'm moving this to DVD Recorders where it belongs, and then closing it as there is another discussion on this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom