• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMREX75 Loss of sound from recordings

aussiemark

Standard Member
I am hoping someone out there can help me in some small way . For reasons unknown to myself all content I had stored on the units hard drive will play back with picture but without audio at all.I realise that I shouldn't have left data on the HDD but really 90 minutes doesn't appear much but it was on there a couple of months. Anything I record now has picture but again no audio. I have tried different functions in the option menu and checked my connections but to no avail.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem and more importantly if you did how does one go about correcting it.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Gavtech

Administrator
I am hoping someone out there can help me in some small way . For reasons unknown to myself all content I had stored on the units hard drive will play back with picture but without audio at all.I realise that I shouldn't have left data on the HDD but really 90 minutes doesn't appear much but it was on there a couple of months. Anything I record now has picture but again no audio. I have tried different functions in the option menu and checked my connections but to no avail.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem and more importantly if you did how does one go about correcting it.
Thanks

Were these recordings made on the unit itself using the internal tuner, or from an external source?

Do you get sound when monitoring a channel using the EX75's tuner?

The commonest reason for picture but no sound, or vice versa is a skewed scart plug which just needs pushing fully home.

aussiemark

Standard Member
The recordings were made from the internal tuner on the unit itself.Picture and sound no problem with transmission through the tuner for TV but picture and no sound from anything recorded on the hard drive.Thanks for taking the time to help with your advice mate

Gavtech

Administrator
Try a power reset. Disconnect from the mains for 10 minutes.

Then try a test recording and see if the sound has been restored on that.

Incidentally do you get sound if you play a disc?

Gavtech

Administrator
I do recieve sound and picture from a disc, incidently any clues as to why I was removed from the forum ??

I'm not sure what you mean by removed from the forum?

If you are referring to Ian J moving your post here... that is simply because this is the right section of the forum [ DVDR's ] for this kind of issue where you stand a chance of getting replies.

The forum feedback section is for posts actually about the forum and it's administration.

aussiemark

Standard Member
Forgive my oversight on the moved from the forum issue as I am a relative newcomer to the forum and posted in the wrong area. I will try unplugging the unit when I get home . Are there any obvious settings in the menu options that may have been changed that could cause the silence on the recordings perhaps? Thanks again for your input I appreciate it very much

Gavtech

Administrator
Forgive my oversight on the moved from the forum issue as I am a relative newcomer to the forum and posted in the wrong area.

No problem.
I will try unplugging the unit when I get home . Are there any obvious settings in the menu options that may have been changed that could cause the silence on the recordings perhaps? Thanks again for your input I appreciate it very much

No- There are no settings that could do that.

What CAN do it, which is why I want you to do a reset, is that Audio mute lines can get latched ON because of corruption.

A reset will clear that possibility out and if there is still a problem , then it is a 'real one'

aussiemark

Standard Member
I tried the reset solution by dissconnecting from the mains for 15 minutes but still the same problem exists.Looks like I am left up the creek without a paddle. I cant ever see myself buying Panasonic again after this debacle ,I havent had it more than 18 months and the recording side of things was the main reason I purchased it initially. As a standalone player and tuner it is ordinary.
I will still try every thing on functions and options menu again but it looks like I bought a lemon.:confused:

Gavtech

Administrator
I tried the reset solution by dissconnecting from the mains for 15 minutes but still the same problem exists.Looks like I am left up the creek without a paddle. I cant ever see myself buying Panasonic again after this debacle ,I havent had it more than 18 months and the recording side of things was the main reason I purchased it initially. As a standalone player and tuner it is ordinary.
I will still try every thing on functions and options menu again but it looks like I bought a lemon.:confused:

All avenues have not been explored or explained yet.
These questions are important for purposes of analysis so please answer them very carefully.

For one thing it was a vital part of the test that you made another test recording after the reset. Did you do that?
The reason simply is that there may be a problem with the recordings on the hard disc but not anything intrinsically wrong with the unit itself.
You need to know if a new recording will play with sound.

Another point... If you have only used 90 minutes of the HDD capacity in 18 months, then evidently you use the machine very little.
90 minutes is typically the length of a film - so is it correct to deduce that you only have one single recording on the hard disc?

If so, have you EVER successfully played back that recording from the hard disc ... or any other recording ... or was this the first time you have ever tried?

Would it be possible for you to feed any other source into it, do a test recording and see if that has sound?
One option is selecting AV1 on the DVDR as the input to record because then you should be able to record from your TV [ Not all TV's can do this so it is not as a reliable test as feeding in some other source.]

I believe Australia uses a variety of transmission methods and conceivably you could have recorded from a channel that has a different sound spacing.
[ thus no sound]

So to check all theses possibilities an essential check is find a station on the DVDR that you can monitor and observe that it has sound present , then do a short test recording and see if that will play back.

All these tests can tell us a great deal and determine once and for all if you really have a problem unit or not.

If it turns out you do, this should be a relatively cheap and easy issue to trace and put right... but you may also have justification for Pursuing the issue with Panasonic customer services ... irrespective of any guarantee expiry issues.... albeit that may depend on local Australian consumer law.

aussiemark

Standard Member
Thanks for your response . After the reset I made a recording from the stb transmission in the same manner that I always have both with the timer method and just manually pressing record with the same results....picture without audio on playback from the hard drive. I have recorded many hours of recorded material previusly from both transmissions and external units without problem. The 90 minutes of material was merely a movie that I kept on the hard drive for over a month or so for no particular reason. It played back without fault previously. This problem has raised it's head only in the past couple of days It does state in the manual that one shouldn't keep material on the hard drive for extended periods of time. I will attempt to record from an external source and see how it goes but I'm losing optimism .

Gavtech

Administrator
One of the problems here is that from previous conversations, it has emerged that the Australian EX75 has some significant difference from the various European version with which I am familiar.

There is one setting that MIGHT knock the sound off - which may or may not be present on the machine.

You could either : Push 'Display' on the remote... which will present a number of adjustment parameter options on the screen.

Scroll down to 'Sound'

Take the cursor across to DVB Multi sound... where it may have 'English' in the box.

It may be that you cannot select away from English - but a single push here will lose sound... and another push will restore it... so maybe yours needs a single push.

Optionally - to clear that and all other possible setting issues goto:

Functions / To others / Setup / Others / Shipping Condition and reset the unit.

I would be optimistic that there is a good chance that will work.

aussiemark

Standard Member
SUCCESS!!!! I followed your advice and went looking in sound options for the English option you suggested may be there but alas it wasnt . however whilst the in digital setup I changed bitstream to pcm and bingo !!! sound.
Gavtech , heartfelt thanks to someone who cared and took the time to prevent me from dispatching the unit to the garbage with force. To the educated it may have been an obvious and simple solution but to me without your help the answer was many miles away.
Gavtech I'm looking in the immediate future in getting a 50 inch plus lcd screen so in your opinion what units should I consider.Also a hidef stb will be necessary what would you recommend there please? Thanks again mate for slowing down the process of an already fast receeding hairline.

Gavtech

Administrator
SUCCESS!!!! I followed your advice and went looking in sound options for the English option you suggested may be there but alas it wasnt . however whilst the in digital setup I changed bitstream to pcm and bingo !!! sound.

I'm very pleased to hear it. :smashin:
Gavtech I'm looking in the immediate future in getting a 50 inch plus lcd screen so in your opinion what units should I consider.Also a hidef stb will be necessary what would you recommend there please?

I only have general advice about plasmas: Consider Pioneers or Panasonics. Discount anything else.

On Hidef STB's - also general - I would not consider these to be performance critical items, in the sense that you will likely get much the same out of any of them ....so look to features and brand reliability when purchasing.

Good luck with your purchases.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom