Panasonic DMREX75 - Can't Play DVD's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sparkie9, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Sparkie9

Sparkie9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help a new and confused owner of title machine.
    I just unwrapped and connected up my new '75.
    So far have recorded on HDD and played back ok however I have come to a full stop with my attempts to play back some of my existing DVD library which always played OK on my old Sony DVD player.
    I selected DVD drive and placed DVD in drawer. I then saw the message "read" displayed in the front window accompanied by a series of grunts and whistles! After about 30 seconds the window display showed "No read" with a little disc sign and said machine fell silent.
    Have tried a number of DVD's so far all with same result. Have searched instruction booklet without finding any specific advice.
    Can anyone help before I pack up unit and return from whence it came.
    Many thanks

2. smurfling

smurfling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the discs you are trying to play home made or shop bought ones, if they are home made, they need to have been finalised on the machine they were recorded on. If they are store bought ones then you may have a problem with the ex75, have you tried to record a dvd on the machine to see how that works out.

3. Sparkie9

Sparkie9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Smurfling,
    DVD's were shop bought films. I understand the finalising issue and this does not apply here.
    I have tried your suggestion i/e recording a DVD.
    Same result exactly, On pressing record button the machine signals "Read" in the window whilst a series of clicks and whirs over some 20 seconds or so followed by the message "No read" and silence.
    Thanks for your advice, looks like its on its way back on the morrow.
    Rgds

4. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its possibly a ram drive problem. There was a problem with the dmres20's I tried one and sent it back, but thats another story. The symptoms were not reading disks either intermittently or at all. Should have been resolved on the new range I would have thaught. I myself have a dmrex75 and have had no problems (yet). Id get it replaced or refunded.

5. pauldoc2000

pauldoc2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a similar puzzling problem,and need some help!!
    I wonder if you could answer why I have a problem playing certain dvd's when my Panasonic DMREX75 has HDD recordings scheduled.Original dvds seem to be no problem but copies I have made throw up an error message warning along the lines of tv settings not compatible.The dvd will play back if no recordings are scheduled.

any help would be very much apreciated

6. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    This is a candidate for the Panasonic FAQ, it crops up quite often (no criticism intended). Assuming your recorder's TV System option is set to PAL you will get this error message if you try to play an NTSC disc when you've got a timer recording scheduled. So your original discs must be PAL and the copies NTSC. As you have discovered, if you delete or temporarily disable any timer recordings the automatic PAL/NTSC switching works.

7. pauldoc2000

pauldoc2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.So is that my only option,if I want to play those types of discs I have to disable the timer setting?

8. Statters42

Statters42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I just got my dmrex75 today and after running through the setup for the tuners ok I treid to play a dvd and got an error message that the disc is not recognised. I havea dmre95h which is an earlier version and that's fine but the new one won't play anything - cd's, uk dvd's or recorded dvd-r from the dmre95h. I've called the supplier and Panasonic and no one knows what the problem is - I have a bad feeling about this............

Cheers

Statters42

9. Speedee

Speedee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Statters42

11 months ago exactly the same happened to me, like thegooseman above, with my DMRES-20,
    It took 20 secs to "read" a VCD or JPEG disk or some shop DVD's. Some it never "read" said bad or something, can't remember now. When I got a replacement it took about 4 secs to "read" any type of disk.

Take it back and get a new one.

I have a EX85 now and that is OK about 4 secs too.

Speedee :)

10. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The other option, which might be easier if you've got lots of scheduled recordings to disable, is to force the recorder into NTSC mode by selecting NTSC in the setup, but your timer recordings won't work properly if you leave it like this.

11. Statters42

Statters42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Speedee - I'll call them up today. I did have an idea - the unit I have is Multi-region and I wondered whether there is a problem in the way it's been done. I found another thread here about it unlocking but it was too tech for me. Thanks again.

Statters42

12. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I don't think this is a problem related to that.

The drive must have a fault. The 'No read' symptom means that the drive literally cannot read the disk, so cannot even establish what kind of disk it is.

There is no question that you should return it as faulty.

You've been unlucky. Better luck with the replacement.

13. Statters42

Statters42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech

I'll get in touch with them today

Appreciate everybody's help and feedback

Statters42