Panasonic DMRES20D - a few last questions

C

chewinthefat

I have found some really good info searching these forums on the Panasonic DMRES20D . However I have a few more queries.

Can you order the Setanta SPL games via the red button app on cH34?

If I am recording Sky on DVD Ram can I chase-play a programme? Or does chase play only work on freeview?

Finally does the recorder only record onto single layer Discs? I ask because I am looking to get the player from PRC Direct and they sell 9.4 GB Panasonic double DVD-RAM Disc.

Does Recording onto double layer discs in general mean that you need to turn the DVD over in the machine, unlike a longer tape which just has more tape?

Thanks in advance guys

HMHB

Distinguished Member
This machine wil only record onto single layer DVD discs but will record on double sided RAM discs. These RAM discs aren't double layer, they are 2 sided and so need to be turned over to use the other side.
The new batch of Panasonic recorders coming out soon will record onto double layer DVD discs.

C

chewinthefat

JohnG said:
This machine wil only record onto single layer DVD discs but will record on double sided RAM discs. These RAM discs aren't double layer, they are 2 sided and so need to be turned over to use the other side.
The new batch of Panasonic recorders coming out soon will record onto double layer DVD discs.

So you loose part of the recording? Seems a bit strange, however I am new to this game.

So the new batch coming out that will enable recording onto double layer DVD discs, will they need to be turned over?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Double layer discs do not need to be turned over, the laser can see 2 layers on the same "side" of the DVD. The 9.4GB RAM discs just allow you to get more hours recording onto one disc, for example in SP mode you would be able to get 8 30 minute programs onto the one DVD, but you'd need to turn it over half way through watching, so I stick to the normal RAM discs. The only benefit I can see of the Double Sided RAM discs is that they take up less space on the shelf than 2 normal ones.

C

chewinthefat

JohnG said:
Double layer discs do not need to be turned over, the laser can see 2 layers on the same "side" of the DVD. The 9.4GB RAM discs just allow you to get more hours recording onto one disc, for example in SP mode you would be able to get 8 30 minute programs onto the one DVD, but you'd need to turn it over half way through watching, so I stick to the normal RAM discs. The only benefit I can see of the Double Sided RAM discs is that they take up less space on the shelf than 2 normal ones.

Okay that has explained it. Any idea when the new machines are out? I guess my worry has been answered on previous threads that recordings of 3 hours on the panny are good quality.

Searcher2

chewinthefat said:
I

Finally does the recorder only record onto single layer Discs? I ask because I am looking to get the player from PRC Direct

If you are still thinking about buying the ES20 then I would recommend considering www.123electricals4me.co.uk. Excellent service. Ask them to price match the PRCDirect price inc RAMs. They did with me and very fast delivery.

As it happens my machine was faulty and they have just arranged a courier to come and pick it up. After the experience I am now tempted to buy local and get John Lewis to price match Richer Sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom