Panasonic Dmres15

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tvdavid, Mar 25, 2006.

1. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi I have just ordered a PANASONIC DMRES15 from here

http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/acatalog/Panasonic_DMRES15_dmr-es15_dmres15_dmres15_dmres15.html

And am just wondering if any one has got one yet and what you think of it?
    I have looked in my local shops but they don't have any and Comet said they have these new models coming in on Monday.
    Is this a good DVD recorder?
    I have a Panasonic SAHT 500 DVD player and have been very happy with it for the last few years but at Xmas I got a DAEWOO-DR2100P and the picture on my recordings was very bad on this and no better than VHS on my Samsung LE32R51BD.
    I hope this one will be better.
    I was looking a Samsung DVD recorders but most of these are not multi format

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Major flaw with this model is the lack of RGB in , not a problem if you dont intend recording from Sky/Digi box though.

If you shop around you can get the previous models ES10/20 for cheaper and with RGB in + freeview in the case of the ES20.

3. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I will be using this for sky+ but I don't use RGB as I have it set to PAL. Would this be OK? The sky+ has S-Video to so could I recored of that? I don't know if my old DAEWOO DVD recorder had this but it did recorder of sky OK.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Composite (PAL as Sky refer to it as) is the worst connection method. S-Video is the next best and RGB even better, however these days RGB and S-Video come pretty close in picture quality, so S-Video would be okay.

Regards

Phil

5. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    OK thanks for that.

6. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    So does any one else have any thing to say about this recorder? Do you think this would be better than my old Daewoo DR2100P which I got a refund on? And where can you by the Double Layer Disk for this? If it can take these I dont see these DVDs in my local shops like Comit and Dixons.

7. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi I did not get this in the end because off the RGB thing and I got a Sony RDR GX210 multi region instead. Which one would you say is the best out of these? I canceled that order from the web site.

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  9. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Received a new panasonic DMRES15 yesterday and am thoroughly disappointed and am trying to return today (unfortunately I made the mistake of buying from savastore.com who are useless when it comes to returning goods - service is not available messages all the time!). Basically, the problems I found are as follows:-

1. It will not play ANY DVD-RW or DVD+RW disk that has been created on a PC (I use NEROVISION Express). It just states the disks are not formatted correctly. However, the disks in question play perfectly on every other player I have tried them on. Is this a known fault with panasonic dvd recorders as the recorder is practically useless if it cannot play DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks unless they are formatted on this panasonic recorder. When I copy the DVD-RW / DVD+RW content to a DVD-R / DVD+R disk then the recorder plays them but this would be a very expensive method of playing my own self authored DVD’s. I think the DVD Management system on the recorder only allows RW disks if they have been formatted on the actual recorder which is just plain daft).

2. The One Touch record facility (30,60,90 etc minute recordings) does not work at all. Once I set a recording going and subsequently press the REC button to initiate timed duration recordings, nothing happens and nothing is displayed on the screen. I have tried on all available disk formats including DVD-RAM.
    3. Time slip function and manual skip (30 seconds) will only work on a DVD-RAM disk or a finalised DVD+R disk but not DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+RW disks despite the manual clearly stating they should work. These functions do not even work on pre-recorded DVDs which is clearly unacceptable.

4. DIVX files (AVI) put on any format of disk are unplayable as the recorder states the disks are unformatted (same problem as 1 above basically). This was one of the reasons for purchasing the recorder in the first place.

I would steer clear of this player! If anyone else has got the above to work with their player then I'd be interested to know how. Thanks.

10. PHILLIK

PHILLIK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really wish I had not gone for the Panasonic DMRES15! I got it because I wanted it to read and write all media, and the DRMRES10 was horrid looking. Had I only known that Comet were doing the SONY RDR-HX525 with 80GB hard disk for £220! I would now never buy a recorder without a hard drive anyway.

This machine is physically noisy and there is not even a fan!
    Audio is dropping out sometimes (or could this be NTL analog?)
    Not being able to read external formatted +RW is a bummer.
    It really does not have RGB on the inputs.

On the plus side:
    It is easy to use.
    Cracking picture quality anyway despite the lack of RGB input.

Does anybody know if you can play Music CD's on the Sony whilst recording TV on the hard disk?

Setup: Denon 1906, Mordon Short MS30, Mission center. (nearly as good as my old Teac Reference 300 for music)

11. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for confirming (I think) that it does not play externally recorded DVD+RW. Personally I think this is a major reason not to buy this recorder and am astonished that Panny go to so much trouble to support all formats only for the customer to find out after purchase that this is simply not true. The DMR-ES15 is actually fantastic if you do not play DVD-RW/+RW disks recorded externally and if you don't require the time slip/manual skip (30 sec skip) functionality on these RW & -R disks. Personally I find them essential so back to the shop it goes.

The 'technician' on the Panasonic 'helpline' didnt even know the difference between RW & R disks!!! Thats needs sorting out double quick.

12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
  13. Matt306

Matt306

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The DMR-ES15 doesn't have DivX playback facilities, or do you mean DivX files that have been recoded back to DVD format?

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Only the European models of the ES15 have Divx (these are the C and G models)

If you go to the download centre and download the manual for the DMR-ES15 then the European model is the one selected.

Downloading the DMR-ES15EB manual selects the UK Manual (no Divx)

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/customer-Support/download-centre.asp

15. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    We of course get screwed over in rip-off britain :thumbsdow no divx support.

16. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The recorder will only allow RW disks that have been formatted on the recorder so you cannot play externally recorded files so DIVX to DVD format does not work. What a pain!

17. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :mad:

UK Owners only:-

Has anyone ever managed to record a PC DVD (Video_ts) on to a DVD+RW or DVD-RW disk and got the DMR-ES15 to recognise & play the disk as I never have. It plays the same contents put on a DVD-R disk but will cost me a fortune in the long run?

Also, has anyone got the commercial skip button to work on pre-recorded disks?

Thanks for any help.

18. PHILLIK

PHILLIK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have now tried a RAM disk recorded under nero and this get reported as unformatted by the Panasonic DMRES15 as well as DVD+RW. Only DVD-/+R works. Has anybody tried using a different PC DVD authoring application?

Sadly I have had this machine for a month. It is still dropping sound out recording off NTL Cable Analog sky, but not BBC1,2,ITV,4,&5. (Same connection but not decoded by the Cable box). I am doing some tests, meanwhile does anybody else use a DMRES15 on NTL analog?

Sould I try and get a refund??? :(

19. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for verifying that. I have also tried Roxio DVD builder but same error occurs. A panasonic technician told me PC DVD authoring packages / burning suites finalize rewriteables differently to panasonic drives. He was stumped when I told him the disks I recorded play on every other player I tried (7 of them). I suspect it is the DVD Management system on their DVD recorders which expects any rewriteable disk to be formatted to their specification. Not impressed :(

However, a workaround is to burn to CDRW as a VCD as these work. Not much good if the AVI is more than an hour though and you cannot STOP when playing otherwise it restarts from the beginning.

20. chrisot

chrisot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one of these last weekend and was pretty pleased until I tried to play my holiday dvds recorded using Roxio. It reports them as unformatted. My old toshiba plays them no problem. I will be taking the panny back to Comet today!!

21. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, anything recorded on a PC must be on a DVD-R or DVD+R. The recorder does not recognise rewriteable disks unless formatted on the actual recorder. Just copy your holiday disks to a write once disk and it should be fine.

22. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

My Panasonic DMRES15 arrived today and I am not sure if I should send it back. It is noisy when playing back normal DVDs, and I have tried 10 so far. The sound is a pulse like someone winding a small watch. I cant hear the sound during loud scenes but in quieter scenes it is noticeable

If you skip a chapter the sound goes for a couple of seconds and then returns. I understand that many players are noisy when loading up menus etc but not during playback.

My Pioneer DV-470 is not like this and neither was my old LG before it.

Is this normal for recorders. Should I return it and get a replacement or should I get another brand entirely (I don't really need Freeview or a Hard Drive because I have a Humax 9200T recorder). I need a DVD recorder for simple archiving of old family tapes etc.

I agree that the PQ is great (RGB).

23. csiman

csiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine is very quiet during playback and indeed for most other functions except when you select DIRECT NAVIGATOT so it seems like yours is faulty to me. If the sound is noticeable by default during playback, then panasonic would have a lot of returns on their hands.

24. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi
    I returned my noisy panasonic dmres15 to Ebuyer. They were great and organized a pickup because it would cost more than £8.

They agreed the unit was faulty and sent a replacement today (and It was definately not the exact one I returned).

This unit has the same problem as the first, with an annoying 'watch winding' sound during normal playback.

This one is going back but I shall ask for a refund this time rather than a replacement, and perhaps go for a different model. It could be a faulty batch (the delivery man said he had a couple of others to return) but I don't want to risk a replacement.

Has anyone any recommendations for another sub £200 model that has good playback, recording, and isn't a Panasonic.

Thanks