1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMREH80V DVD/HDD/VHS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by peranders, Aug 15, 2005.

1. peranders

peranders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. peranders

peranders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody has this machine? Anybody who knows where I can get the instruction manual for a bit closer studies?

3. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't think it's due out until September.

4. sunny_west

sunny_west
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and very pricey, though has good spec

i have the slightly older combi model from panasonic, the DMRES30, i can't really fault it, does everything well, main need was to archive stuff from a sky+ box and vhs tapes and it does this very well

only minor gripe is that there is no eject button for vhs or dvd on the remote, but only a minor problem

5. Lino

Lino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm very tempted, but heres a stupid question that maybe someone with either this particular model or with another Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder bundle could answer...

I'm assuming that the VHS part can play back NTSC VHS tapes, but will the DVD recorder part record from the same tapes? I.E. can I make either a PAL or NTSC DVD recording from the NTSC VHS tape in the same machine?

I've got a bundle of old NTSC tapes that I'd like to get rid of but would like copies of..

Thanks! :)

6. 1ka

1ka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'd think this would be straightforward "YES". But it isn't. The playback of NTSC tapes appeared to be faultless, however, when copying them to the HDD or DVD the lower part of the image has 'picture information' diplayed. This is a black band with flickering white dots in it. It appears that when dubbing, the machine incorrectly assumes it's a PAL tape and records it as such.

I couldn't find a menu option that allowed me to record in NTSC mode, so I used a bit of lateral thinking (having worked with the Japanese, you need to think 'sideways' sometimes). The taping between VHS and DVD uses an internal channel called TP (short for tape*) I noticed that if I played the video via the TP channel, I could also see the bands. There is an option in the Functions menu to set the type of TV you use (PAL or NTSC). I changed this to NTSC, and played the tape again. This time, the picture was correct when using the TP channel. I had to reformat the DVD as it moaned about incorrect format and tried to record the NTSC tape. Low and behold it worked!

I suspect that for this to work, your TV must be able to display an NTSC picture, otherwise you will not be able to see the menu options when in NTSC mode.

So, in short, the answer is "Yes you can."

Karl.

* the unit actually behaves as separate VHS and HDD/DVD recorders. I suspect that they've just bolted a VHS recorder onto a HDD/DVD recorder.

7. Lino

Lino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks a lot for that Karl..

I did manage to find a PDF manual for an earlier model where it describes more or less what you suggested.. I think I *MIGHT* leave it till Monday where I can actually speak to someone at Panasonic (Helpline open at the weekend? I think not!), just in case they've removed the feature from the new model (I can't imagine for a second they have, but I'd rather find out before spending the £500!).. Trying to record anything from my VHS machine to my computer is such a nightmare and this new model will just replace my current VHS machine (With the added bonus of having a scart straight out of the Sky+ box into the back of it)... And besides, I need a new toy to play with! :)

Lino

8. 1ka

1ka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clarify, this was tried with the new DMR-EH80VEB

Karl.

9. Lino

Lino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Oh in that case I'll order one first thing Monday morning! :) Thanks again Karl! I just wish Panasonic would actually update their website with new manuals occasionally!

10. LizzyF

LizzyF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not very helpful I know but I have just installed this model (took me 2 hours but I'm not very technical).

First impressions. I feel that the manual is not as well written as the JVC machine I had. It was a combi DVD / VCR (the MV1) and I was delighted with that machine until it started to go wrong and after 6 months I sent it back. I was tempted the get the JVC Hard drive / DVD/ VCR but couldn't find any feedback on it.

First impressions - the display is a bit gaudy. The basics seem very straight forward but I think I will need to spend more time on the editing and dubbing sections - the JVC was very well written - even for an idiot like me.

If I get time to play with it tomorrow, I'l update this post - but being of the female variety, there are always a lot of jobs to do.

Regards

Lizzyf

11. peranders

peranders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some time has gone since I started this thread and now I am going to buy a video recorder. Has the market changed anything. Is it still Panasonic and JVC or are there some more alternatives?

12. robketh

robketh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was just given one of these DMREH80V units, and though it seems great I am unable to record VHS (of any format) to HDD or DVD. Input Select and the channel buttons do not offer "TP" as an option - does anyone know why not?? Hope someone can help, many thanks.

13. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I have the non hard drive DMR-EZ45VEB. Doesn't the hard drive model of these combis work the same way. i.e. whilst VHS is selected with the drive button, press the "functions" button and from the menu that appears select "COPY".