1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMREH60D

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dheth1tc, Oct 26, 2005.

1. dheth1tc

dheth1tc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

I just bought a Panasonic DMREH60D today from Richer Sounds, what a bargain!!

It is an excellant machine but I have a few questions as I am a newbie to DVD recorders although I am a techie.

When you set the timer to record something, it goes into standby but then when it starts recording I cannot see the program it is recording on the TV, only a balck screen. Is this normal? When I use the straight recording without the timer I can watch the program as it records.

Also I have a panasonic DVD player, TV with two scart sockets and a seperate freeview box. I would like to keep my DVD player connected along with my freeview box, any sugestion as to the best cable configuration?

cheers

David H

2. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding the connections:-
    Scart AV1 out of the DVD recorder to AV1 on the TV and hopefully this can be as an RGB signal for best quality on a CRT.
    Then take the Freeview's TV Scart output to AV2 in the DVD recorder and hopefully this again can be set up as RGB as it allows for best possible recording quality and you can watch Freeview through the recorder without having to change the AV channel on the TV.
    Then take the other Scart out of the Freeview box (assuming it has one) then this can go to the TV's 2nd Scart input so that you can watch Freeview when the DVD recorder is recoding an analugue TV station. Alternatively Scart the DVD player to the TV's AV2.
    Finally, if you've still not connected up the DVD player you can feed an S-Video cable from the player to AV4 in the back of the recorder. I'm guessing at this point that your player has been moddified to remove Macrovision as this would enable the copying of "backup DVD's" onto your new DVD recorder ;)

3. dheth1tc

dheth1tc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy and detailed response.

I will try out what you have suggested. My DVD recorder has a built in freeview box with two scart sockets, the freeview box has two scarts along with the TV's scart sockets. If my DVD player was plugged into the DVD recorder using the scart sockets. Would the DVD recorder have to be turned on so I could watch a DVD from the player? I'm not that fused about copying DVD's, what I want to be able to do is watch a different freeview channel on my freeview box, when the DVD Recorder is recording another freeview channel with its built in digital tuner.

cheers

David H

4. dheth1tc

dheth1tc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello AVMaster,

Thanks for your help all sorted! Plugged dvd recorder into scart on TV along with freeview box and plugged my DVD player into the DVD Recorder, works great, thank you!!

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    TELEVISION, DVD RECORDER, DVD, SET TOP BOX

[​IMG]

Connections

1) RF lead (aerial) from external aerial to feed the signal to your set top box
    2) RF lead to carry the signal from your set top box to your DVD Recorder
    3) RF lead to feed the analogue signal to your TV
    4) Scart connection to allow you to watch DVDs played on your DVD Recorder
    5) Scart connection to allow you to watch or record your set top box
    6) Scart connection to allow you to watch your DVD’s played on your DVD player

To Use

To watch DVDs played on your DVD recorder, select AV2 on your TV using the input select () button on your TV remote control
    To watch your set top box, select AV2 on your TV using the input select button on your TV remote control and set the DVD Recorder to line 3 using the input select button
    To record from your set top box, using the input select on your DVD Recorder's remote control, select Line 3 then follow the instructions in your DVD Recorder's instruction manual on how to record.
    To watch DVDs played on your DVD player, select AV1 on your TV using the input select button on your TV remote control.

6. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick one regarding this if you've not sorter it yet, the player goes into standby in order to record something from the timer function (if you don't do it manually, it does it itself) but when it has started recording you can turn it back on and either watch what you are recording, watch an externel looped source (another freeview box in your case) or a DVD with no effect on the recording function.

Hope this helps...

7. dheth1tc

dheth1tc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for all your help. With regard to the timer function I had not even considered being able to turn on the DVD recorder once it started recording. I guess I figured it would work like a normal video recorder and turn on fully when recording in timer mode.

I think I have it set up about right now!
    DVD player is plugged into the back of the DVD recorder which is connected to scart 2 on the TV. The aerial goes into the DVD recorder and loops through to the freeview box. The freeview box is connected to scart 1 on the TV. There is no need for a scart connection from the DVD recorder to the freeview box as the recorder has its own built in freeview.

I have got a Panasonic Video recorder which has two scart sockets that I'm considering connecting up, but I have ran out of scart leads. I figured if I connect it to the second scart on the DVD recorder and the second scart on the freeview box?

cheers

David H

8. howler

howler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like a good box. I was going to go for the EH50, but the EH60 looks worth the extra $$$.

It does not appear on the Richer Sounds website tho, are they just coming into stock? is £399 thier recommended price?

9. IanUK

IanUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine for £399 from Richer Sounds, I looked up my nearest store on their website and then called them, said I had seen it for £399 on their website and asked if they had one, they did.

I'd reccomend it - a great machine.

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    If Richer Sounds don't have one in stock there are a couple of other firms on the Pricerunner UK website at £399. Note that the first two listed, Digital Point and Electro Centre are the same firm. I purchased my Panny E85 and JVC DRM10 dvd recorders from them.
    Both delivered on next working day by City Link. I believe the Panasonic EH60D is MR modded by them.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/vision/dvd-players/455867/prices