1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMREH60D Display Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by st13phil, Sep 21, 2005.

1. st13phil

st13phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

A quick question from a newbie for anyone else who owns one of these machines...

Just bought myself a DMREH60D and am finding my way around the features and options. Changed the FDP brightness setting in Setup from Bright to Dim and found that on the Dim setting the blue band above the SD card slot goes off completely rather than dimming. Is this normal behaviour?

TIA,

Phil

2. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well mine does it too - so I assume it's normal. Funnily enough I never worried about this (which is odd, I'm the sort of person who WOULD worry about it!).

You may also notice that the top of the machine (particularly the rear right corner) gets quite warm when it's in standby - particularly in timer mode, and only when the Quick Start feature is set to "On". This too seems normal (it uses more power to keep the memory intact). I tried switching the Quick Start feature to off, and it was cool in standby, but (logically enough) took ages to start up so I have kept the setting on.

I hope you enjoy it - I think it's a nice machine - fast, quiet and the recordings are lovely quality too.

3. st13phil

st13phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Helen, I can rest easy now! (It sounds like we're alike in the pernickety stakes, too :D )

I'm very impressed so far. One other question though: Have you found a way to subtract/add a default (say) 5 mins to the program start and finish times when you navigate to the record timer from the EPG?

Phil

4. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi st13,

If you access the timer list, highlight the programme you wish to modify and press 'enter', you can, by using the cursor control (<>^v) move to highlight the start and stop times. Just enter (overwrite) the times you want using the numbers for both 'start' time, then 'stop' time, and press enter!

5. st13phil

st13phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jerry - I'd sussed that bit already, thanks. I was wondering if there was any way that I could default subtract and add minutes either end of the record time to save me the effort. Too used to PDC on the old analogue stuff, I suppose :rolleyes:

6. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, there doesn't seem to be a default way - though I'm happy enough with how it works (never really trusted PDC anyway - too many times, on too many machines, it completely messed up recordings - like not doing them at all, for example!).

7. jamba

jamba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One negative on the EH60D is the One Touch Timer recording function. Recording time can only be set in multiples of 30 minutes whereas with the Tosh RDXS34 you could actually set it in minutes which I found very handy when transferring my sky+ recordings to HDD

8. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I've come across a small sporadic problem with DVD ejecting.

If the EH60D is in standby mode, having previously been used to watch a programme from the HDD and the machine contains a DVD, ejecting the DVD by pressing the open/eject button causes the player to startup and ejects the DVD but I then can't get the tray to close using the open/eject button on the remote or player unless or the play button until I press the standby button to turn the player off. The tray then automatically closes.

I've even tried waiting a couple of minutes after ejecting a DVD and then attempting to close the try using the open/eject button on the player and remote but this doesn't work either.

It maybe just the way the player works and its fine if you turn the player on, eject the DVD, close the tray and then place the player in standby.

9. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had something similar, and the TV was switched off at the time. I panicked, but when I put the TV on, the reason was revealed - the EH60D, which had been in standby overnight, had found some new DVB channels and was waiting for my yea or nay on whether to run a proper search and add them. Once I cleared the message, the machine was freed up.

Could your situation have been in any way similar? I'm thinking maybe it had bypassed using the tuner (in your case) since the day before or something, and so was waiting for the unnoticed question to be answered...

10. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This could well be the case as I didn't have the display switched on to see if there were any messages and there was a new service to add when I did use the EH60D the next day.

11. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Out of interest, do you know what happens if you leave the EH60D in recording standby overnight (i.e. waiting to make a timer recording) and a new channel appears?

- Is the automatic overnight find-new-channels routine disabled while the machine is in recording standby?

- Or does the Search for new channels Yes/No (or whatever) message appear, but the timer recording proceeds anyway?

- Or (worst scenario) does the Search for new channels Yes/No message appear, and the timer recording fails because you haven't cleared the message?

12. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have to have a look at the instruction manual (which is at home) to be absolutely sure - though even then the wording is a bit cloudy; there are two settings for the Freeview channel search(one of which you would think disables the search, but it explains it as though it's just more automated as a result!).

I haven't actually run into this potential problem, because the search happens some time between 2 and 5 am (I forget precisely when), so whilst the recorder's been in timer standby when I've gone to bed, it has usually completed the recording and cleared the timer by the time I switch it on again - and probably before it's done the search, too.

However, I could have had things still in the timer on occasion (I just don't remember the specific times), and I would say that the new channels message only comes up when you switch the machine on in some way, thus activating the tuner output to the TV - which generally indicates you're there to see the message and act upon it. I think that's how it allows the DVD tray to open before the message locks things up.

I don't *think* it blocks timer recordings, because the recorder stays in a rather standby-like state when it does those (only a tiny REC indicator shows, and the clock stays on the display, and if you turn on the TV it doesn't grab the AV output in this state either - if you go there manually, there's a blank screen with a message about the timer in a little strip across the bottom). This status is of course optional - when you're present you can press the power button on the recorder or remote and get the full display and output to the TV from the EH60D - and the timer recording still goes on, undisturbed.

Sorry that's a bit vague, but I'm reasonably certain if the message blocked or otherwise mucked up recordings, it would have happened on mine by now.

13. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks Helen

Hopefully the EH60D designers have got it right and, one way or another, timer recordings proceed unhindered in these circumstances.

I found the automatic checking for new channels a bit of a pain on My first Freeview STB (a Daewoo). Like the EH60D, it also stopped indefinitely with a Yes/No prompt. I live in a fringe area (officially Freeview can't be received at my postcode) so the number of channels I can receive varies with reception conditions. Consequently the STB frequently stopped with the new channels found prompt. This can be a problem if you try to make timed recordings from the STB using a separate recorder.

I replaced the Daewoo with a Humax, which thankfully doesn't behave like this (and it is also much better behaved with weak signals). I only use the Daewoo as a sort of test instrument now - it's got an excellent simultaneous dynamic display of the strength/quality of all the multiplexes - very handy for aerial alignment and pre-amp adjustment.

Since the way forward is obviously integrated Freeview tuners I was dismayed to hear that the EH60D halts with a new channels found Yes/No prompt. If there is an option to turn it off, fine. Perhaps the best scheme would be to put an on-screen flag in one of the status windows (to indicate a new channel has been found) and continue normal operation.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread.

14. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just double checked the manual - I remembered incorrectly about the confusing wording (apologies for that), which was actually about the setting for automatic downloading of new firmware (which takes place between 3.05 am and 5.05 am, apparently, and does not happen if the EH60D is in standby at that time). Though the explanation muddies the waters for this feature, the menus are for Software Update in Standby: On or Off, plus there's a "Software Update Search Now" item on the menu so that's all OK.

Returning to the subject actually discussed in this thread, the message indicating new DVB channels being found, which locks up the EH60D until its prompt is answered one way or the other (but which usually lets the DVD tray open before kicking in and freezing the buttons):

The scanning for new services setting is actually as follows (directly quoting here):

Automatic: New digital stations are constantly scanned in the background. A message is displayed if new stations were found and you can add them to your station list.

Off: [no explanation given]

- Presumably because it's just that - no scanning for new stations. Which is what we want to hear. Of course there is an item on the menu for scanning manually, i.e. when you decide it's a good time to check for new stations. So, nice, sensible options.

15. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Thanks again

If you prefer to leave the 'Software Update in Standby' setting Off, you can always keep an eye on which updates are scheduled for transmission by checking the DTG website (www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl). You might, for example, prefer to wait until other people report that the latest update works ok before updating your own machine.

I wonder if the software updates are just for the embedded Freeview tuner, or if they can also update the recorder firmware.

As far as automatic channel updates are concerned, some implementations seem to be too intrusive. They are more like the operation of a computer (New hardware found...). I'm sure most people would prefer a tuner that simply works, with no unexpected prompts freezing the operation of the whole machine. If a new channel is found why doesn't the machine just add it automatically (and perhaps display an unobtrusive flag somewhere to let you know the channels have changed).

Sometimes when we get home later than intended, we realise a program we wanted to watch is about to start or has already started. So I nip inside, turn on an E85, wait for the self check to finish (sigh), select the channel and press record, all without turning on the TV, then go back to the car to unload it. This wouldn't work if there was an on-screen prompt waiting for the right response.

Given the EH60D choices you mention I would leave the automatic scanning off, and I would do a manual scan every now and then - or if I hear that a new service has been launched.