Panasonic DMREH50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Slip, May 27, 2005.

1. Slip

Slip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm poised to buy a DMREH50 but have have a couple of questions before I do so:

1) The EH50 is to replace a old video recorder which bit the dust. The setup I used to have was that the main TV was fed from the vid via Scart and a portable TV was fed from the vid via coaxial. This way I could move between the kitchen and the lounge and still watch the same programme.

Can anyone tell me if I can have the same setup with the EH50 i.e. will it allow me to send a signal to two TV sets at the same time?

2) How does the EH50 interact with a sky (Grundig) digibox? I understand that you can set the EH50 to record programmes via the autoview on the digibox?!! Is this correct or have I lost the plot? :confused:

Thanks

Slip

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    1) No, I don't believe any of the recorders have an RF modulator. They will pass through a RF signal, but that's all.

2) Yes, if you use the External Link feature. But for this it has to use the non-RGB "VCR" SCART on the Sky box, and there is this thread about issues with this working correctly.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213738

Mark

3. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Slip

Actually the EH50 does have an RF modulator built in, Panasonics are one of the few manufacturers that still have the feature.

You can, via the setup menus alter the RF channel if you need to.

Pete

4. Slip

Slip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your quick reply Redsox,

The thing which made me wonder about the coax was this snippit at this lication:

"If you wish to connect your TV via UHF (RF aerial) then note that almost all DVD recorders do NOT provide such an output. Whilst they all have internal tuners that use the UHF signal only Panasonic models have modulators to actually output via UHF. If a Panasonic model doesn't suit your needs you can buy external UHF modulator that will do the same job: such devices will convert almost any AV source (RGB, S-Video, composite) to RF."

http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML#21

5. Slip

Slip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! This board is busy.

Thanks G0pkh.

Do you know if it will send signals to both scart and RF at the same time or is it only one or the other?

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Sorry, my mistake - I didn't realise the Panasonic did this.

Mark

7. g0pkh

g0pkh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi again.

I am pretty certain that it will send signals to both outputs, in much in the same way as a standard VCR would.

However I have turned off the RF modulator on mine (by setting the RF Channel to -- . This prevents the usual problem of herringbone patterning and interference with other UHF Channels) so I cannot absolutely guarantee it.

Obviously with the RF Mod set to off it then just passes through the RF as Mark mentioned.

I think from what I have read, that the Panasonics are one of the very few have still have the RF Modulator (think JVC do as well ) but cannot be sure.

Pete

8. Slip

Slip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent!!!