1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMREH50 Recording Ratio Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MattDX, Sep 15, 2005.

1. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Quick question regarding the above recorder. Looking at the manual, it states that anything recorded on anything other than DVD-RAM or the HDD will be recorded in 4:3 regardless of the source ratio. It also states that anything recorded in 16:9 will be scaled down to 4:3 when dubbing to DVD. This sounds very odd to me! Anyone have any experience with this or some opinions?

2. jm1

jm1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Matt, I asked the same question about the Panasonic DMRES10, this is the helpful answer I got from Rasczak -

Just to elaborate slightly: DVD recorders record the Widescreen Switching Signal (WSS) when you use VR mode - be it to a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW (VR Mode)* - but not when you use Video mode (DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R). It's inconvienant but all you have to do is manually select the '16:9' button on your TV. You can also use a programme called IFO Edit to restore the WSS onto your recordings.

* Note the Panasonic range do not record in DVD-RW VR Mode.

3. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jm1 - Forgive my ignorance, but I too am looking to get a Pana DMREH50 and would like to know what is IFO Edit.? Thanks

4. jm1

jm1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    IfoEdit is a freeware tool that can among other things edit the info file and put back the (WSS) on dvd's.

Have a look at this link for further info, guides and download link for this tool.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool...erby=Name&hits=50&convert=&dvdauthorfeatures=

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144