Panasonic DMREH50 questions - before buying!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mdawkins, Apr 6, 2005.

1. mdawkins

mdawkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a DMREH50 and wondered if anybody knows if it will record in 16:9 to DVD-R or +R? unlike the previous models, and if it will automatically switch between NTSC and PAL when playing Region 1 and 2 DVD's? as I believe the previous models had to be changed in the menu settings before you could play an NTSC disc.

Thanks for your help

Martin

2. Shaggybert

Shaggybert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Martin

I only got mine last night, but I can confirm that it cannot record in 16:9 onto anything other than the hard disk and DVD-RAM.

I had no idea that this was a trait of the Panasonic recorders, and i'm a bit disappointed about it!

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Its not that the Panasonic cannot record a wide screen picture, the problem is that the WSS (wide screen switching) flag is not always recorded, depending on what medium you are recording to. Without the WSS flag the full widescreen picture is still recorded - but you will have to manually switch the aspect on your TV.

Have a look at the following for more details:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james_lancaster/whichdvd.HTML#8

4. Benfica

Benfica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, afaik, it is a litle more then that .... if you record a wide screen picture without set the WSS flag on the DVD-R, when you play it in a DVD player connected to a 4:3 TV you are never going to get the right aspect ratio on that TV (well, unless that TV have the ability to letter box or crop it left & right (pan & scan), wich is not normally the case).

This is important if you give your recorded DVDs (16:9) to others that only have a 4:3 TV.

HTH