Panasonic DMRE95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gmbiggles, Feb 6, 2005.

1. gmbiggles

gmbiggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I'm new to the world of DVD recorders and new to this site. I recently bought a Panny DMRE95 with big hard disc, planning to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD. I play the Panny through an LCD TV using SCART. I've recorded a few tapes to the Panny from my VCR using the SCART connector (not an expensive one) and I'm disappointed in the quality of the recorded image. If I connect the VCR to the TV using SCART, picture quality is pretty good (maybe not to the purist, but good enough for those old rock concerts). But when I record from VCR to the DVD R, the picture looks very grainy (DVD is connected to the LCD TV also using SCART. Recording from TV co-ax gives pretty good results, I just seem to have the problem with the VCR input.

Anyone got any ideas. I'm not sure whether I'm limited in this way by using SCART (it's all my VCR has), or whether there is something wrong with the Panny :mad:

2. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    You haven't said at what speed you were recording at? If it's a lower bitrate it's bound to look poor. Especially on an LCD.

3. gmbiggles

gmbiggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LP Mode. To be honest, I haven't tried XP or SP. I'll do that and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

4. BillTheButcher

BillTheButcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's the problem I think. Try SP or XP and you should notice an improvement.

5. gmbiggles

gmbiggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Tommy Vecetti and Billthe Butcher for your responses. In trying all this out a bit more, my problem seems to be simply the quality of the VCR image on the LCD TV. I've connected VCR > E95 AV2, E95 AV1 > LCD TV. Normal broadcast TV signals, also via the E95, show fine on the TV, as do commercial recorded DVDs played on the E95. It just seems to be poor quality from the VCR. Effects are just grainy background and colour being distorted, which I can only describe as 'objects seem to have fuzzy edges'. The VCR has two Scart connectors, no other outputs other than RF. Will the quality of Scart cable between VCR and E95 have a big influence over this, or can anyone suggest another way of improving the quality.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

6. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Connecting the VCR to the TV via the E95 shouldn't be any worse or better than connecting it directly to the TV. You should use good quality Scarts at all points and when you record for archiving purposes you should do it in the best mode possible - even though the VCR source material may be low quality, you don't want to degrade it any more than you have to.

If the picture quality is noticeably worse when it's hooked up through the E95 than when it's hooked up direct there's something amiss!

7. AVmaster

AVmaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't imagine that a decent scart lead would make a noticable difference in the quality of a VHS to DVD copy. Like the others said though, as long as you copy in SP or XP mode you should be able to retain the original VHS quality, infact the Panasonic recorder clean up VHS images by using a time base corrector during the copying process,
    It sounds to me like the LCD TV doesn't like digitised VHS copied. I would try playing the copied DVD on a CRT television to see if it plays as expected.

8. square-eyes

square-eyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been using my Panny E95HD to copy all my old VHS tapes to DVD before the tapes degrade. I find that LP mode is slightly worse quality than the original VHS tapes. SP is better than the original tapes. I am mainly copying using LP as I have 250 E180/E240 full tapes to copy. I don't mind the slight loss of quality for TV series etc so it saves on the blank disks. However, if it is a top quality film on VHS I copy it on SP or FR if the film is slightly over 2 hours long. Recording to HD first then chopping all the ads out helps with the compression. I am connecting the VHS to AV2 set-up for composite (video) input. I would agree with the others that you should really be using SP to copy old VHS tapes.

9. gmbiggles

gmbiggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who took the time and trouble to reply to reply to me.

Have decided to invest in some new QED Scart cables and will try the recording process all over again (my wife is getting fed up of a particular Pink Floyd track that I have neded up using as my test source!). Will post an update in a few days to let you know how I get on. :rolleyes: