1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE85/95/500?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PhilJW, Sep 21, 2004.

1. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying one of the above models and would welcome a bit of advice. I can't find anywhere a review of the 95, and reading the specs from Panasonic, it doesn't appear to be too different from the 85. What is the difference between the two, and why would I go for one rather than the other?

Also 160GB HDD is more than enough, so is it really worth gong mad and spending the extra for the new 500? Other than the HDD are there any additional features worth having over the 85/95?

Primarily it will be used for archivng old videos and recording/saving off air from Sky+.

All help welcome. Apologies if any of this has already been covered but a summary would be extremely helpful.

2. daydreamer

daydreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. daydreamer

daydreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DMR-E95
    ----------
    160GB Hard Disk Drive - 284 hrs recording in EP mode
    High Speed Recording from HDD
    DV Input
    SD/PC Card Network
    Time Slip Function
    New Direct Navigator
    Linear PCM High Quality Sound

DMR-E85
    ----------
    80GB Hard Disk Drive
    Recording onto Hard Disc (up to 142 hrs), DVD-RAM (up to 16 hrs on a double sided disc), DVD-R (up to 8 hrs)
    Time Slip-function
    5 Recording Modes
    Fast, easy recording from Hard disk to DVD-RAM
    Copy from DVD-RAM to HDD

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The E500 is the daddy of the range: it has (apparently) top quality build, a 400GB HDD, Ethernet port (for streaming media from PC/another E500), 5.1 DVD-Audio/DTS/DD and MPEG4 recording.

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Interesting to see how much they sell it for!

Perhaps (if it came in at £800) then everything below would re-align and we'd get £125 DVD recorders from major brands

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    .......and in the real world. Sorry, but that's never gonna happen, (especially as the 95 has just been released at £800). As much as I would like it too. Still, the 1st tape players were £1,000 30 years ago. Think how much inflation we've had since then and £1,300 is cheap, (relatively).When a company releases it's highest spec model, you can guarentee it'll be at a premium. As for the 500, a price point of £1,300 rrp has been quoted in the press! Wait a couple of years and buy a dvd Blu-Ray recorder for similar money. Sony and pan have releasede Blu-Ray players that retail for £1,550 over there at the moment. By 2006, (likely uk release for Blu-Ray), they should be nearer £1,000. Hopefully. :rolleyes:

7. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The retail price for the E95 may be 800 quid but I bought mine for 625, including multi-region mod and delivery. Within a few months it will be a lot cheaper. The same will go for the E500 - if you but it on the high street as soon as it comes out you'll pay through the nose, but wait two or three months and buy it from an on-line retailer and you'll probably pay 700 or so for it.

There's a high price for being an early adopter!

Regards

Nelviticus

8. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    While I agree with what you're saying, I feel it unlikely that retailers will knock off £600 so quickly. When I bought my Pan 85 5 months ago or so it was £480, a 20% saving on the £600 rrp. I've yet to see it for much less than £450, or 25%. Therefore, on a similar model, you're still looking at almost £1,000 after 6 months, probably £900 cheapest. Still, great looking/specced dvd rec though. I wonder if you can seperate the HDD into blocks. i.e. recent recordings, movies, tv programmes etc...

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just seen an early anouncement of the E500, retail price £1250!!!
    Can't see it doing much sales until it gets down to around £800 or so discounted.