Panasonic DMRE60EBS

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawkis, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evening All. Just purchased one of these and await its arrival. Couple of questins I'd like advice on if you'd be so kind. Is the PCI Card adaptor 'universal'? I've looked around and it seems the adaptors are the same as the type that go in printers for instance for FlashCard Memory reading. The Panasonic site is vague on this point and just tells me the port itself is a standard type III. Seondly, is there a preferred brand of CD-R amongst you chaps for transferring DV Video, and films either via Sky or DVD Player to recorder, and is there a preferred method of transfer from Sky+?. Just purchaed 25 CD-R's at £18 which seemed remarkably cheap so possible concerns over the quality perhaps? Finally (phew!), why does the E60 have to 'record' JPG's to DVD RAM?
    Anyway, thanks in advance for your time and advice.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yes to the extent that it is a standard port but not all makes of digital camera use the same memory card types. You will need a converter for some brands - but this isn't a great hardship.

Do you mean DVD-Rs? Personally I use Panasonic, JVC and Sony DVD-Rs for archiving important stuff and a variety (currently Mirror) DVD-Rs for 'sharing'. Take a look at the following links for cheap media:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/

http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/sections.pl?id=12&tab=0

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/

Ensure you have hooked up the TV Out on your Sky+ to the AV2 input on your E60. This way you'll be able to make RGB recordings.

I'm not sure if you realise but you won;t be able to make 'backup' copies of your DVD-Videos (bar your own recordings that is) due to copyright protection measures.

It just a limitation of the machine at the moment. Hopefully we will see the ability to make slideshow DVD-Rs on future machines (especially the HDD/DVDR combos).

3. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes! Did mean DVD-R's! The adaptor I have bought is compatible with CompactFlash, and I'm sure the recorder is(?). The DVDR's I vought were the bulkpaq, but 25 x Mirror were the same price, however there were rumours that recent batched of the Mirror purchased from two separate sites were poor quality, possibly rebranded so I gave them a miss this time. So spend a few quid more on the DVDR's seems to be the word? I (one of the few apparently) will be using firewire to transfer from DV camcorder to the recorder. I read that this is the #purest' form of transfer. I realise that I won't be able to copy my DVD's but saw a 'magic' scart advertised that is all pins connected and 12v (?!) that can get round the issue. This is not a concern of mine anyway as the main use will be photos, camcorder, and TV recordings. When you say RGB recordings from Sky+, do you mean via scart, s-video, or what? RGB has been a mystery to me for years! Could use advice on this point. And THANKS for your advice, it is much appreciated. If I don't employ all this stuff with all the toys I've bought recently the wife will kill me and refuse certain favours if you know what I mean....

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Ok - this is a little subjective but (briefly) the best forms of connecting AV equipment up are (best first):

1) Component Video
    2) RGB (transmitted via Scart)
    3) S-Video (transmitted via Scart or S-Video socket/Audio sockets)
    4) Composite (transmitted via Scart or Yellow composite socket/Audio Sockets)

For recording purposes forget the first (as no copyable source has Component out) and consider the next three.

RGB out is outputted by Sky digiboxes and Freeview boxes. On (any) Sky digibox RGB out can be outputted via the TV Out Scart socket but not the Video Scart Socket (as no VHS recorders can record RGB). You can need to ensure you set your Sky digibox up for RGB output by going to Services/System Setup/Picture Settings and ensuring "Video Output" is set to "RGB". If it's set to "Video" then this is another word for "Composite" and is the worst type of connection. Obviously to view a RGB picture your TV needs to have an RGB capable scart socket (most do - normally AV1).