1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Dmre55ebs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joyenty, May 29, 2005.

1. joyenty

joyenty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a DVD recorder (Panasonic e55) and am trying torig
    everything together.
    My TV has 2 rear scart connectors. The Sky Box(Thomson) has 2, and the DVD Recorder also has 2.
    Can anyone help me and tell me what connects to what. I am totally
    lost.Please use Layman's terms as I am a thicko when it comes to these things.
    If this helps

Rear of TV says AV1 & AV2

Rear of Sky says VCR Scart & TV Scart

Rear of DVD Recorder says AV1 TV & AV2 Decoder/Ext

I am not using a normal TV antenna as we dont have one, just the SKY. I would also like to use my VCR but when I connect that via scart to the tv the screen goes an awful colour.

Also having tried to rig it up (dont know if its succesful) I put a DVD-R in to try to record the TV and it doesnt recognise it at all??? It says something similar to "not a burnable disc).

Any help is appreciated.

Joy

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well I'd wire it like so;

sky scart (tv output) to dvd recorder scart (external)
    sky scart (video output) to video recorder external scart
    video recorder scart output to TV AV2 scart
    dvd recorder TV output scart to TV AV1 scart

Make sure the TV is setup so that AV2 is set for composite input and not s-video unless you have a svhs video recorder that is.

Wired as I suggest you get very high quality RGB recordings from your sky box to panasonic dvd recorder but you can't use the timer link facility which means you have to set both the dvd recorders timer and the skybox timer for timer recordings. Which reminds me make sure the skybox is set for RGB output. The dvd recorder is setup for RGB input and the TV AV1 is set for RGB input if necessary.

Hope you like the DVD recorder. I've got the E85 which is basically the same with the addition of a hard drive.

3. joyenty

joyenty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting the message

No stations found Please check aerial connection. restart Auto Set Up

This is whan i use auto set up. I have no antenna plugged in just the sky box

Also I get

This is a non recordable disc Cannot record.

This is whan I use the DVD-R discs. All new in a big spool of them. Granted they arent the most expensive ones. But I thought this unit could use the -R discs??

Thanks again

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You'll have to try and skip auto setup. Auto setup sets up the aerial channels and sets the clock I believe from the teletext information on one of the aerial channels. You'll have to skip this somehow. Never done this myself though.

Not sure about the discs though. Maybe they are dvd+r instead of dvd-r. For everyday timeshifting you want to use DVD RAM discs on your dvd recorder. These are rewritable, offer faster access and generally improve functionality. DVD-R discs are write once and less practical unless you want to save everything you record.

5. joyenty

joyenty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

They are definately DVD-R discs. I bought a big spool of them from PC World. I have bought 5 ram discs today at PC world (Taunton), they are on offer 5 for £12.99. I beleive Comet from the first of June are doing them in a spindle of 25 for £12.99. I know you are nearby and dont know if its a regional offer so thought you may like the heads up.

Spoke to Comet today who said to bring the unit back with my discs as it may be faulty if not recording on DVD-R

Does yours record on on this media? If so what -R discs are you using.

Thanks for the replies, I am going to try get hold of some Ram discs.