Panasonic DMRE55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thepacifier, Jan 3, 2007.

1. thepacifier

thepacifier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Just thought i would mention this and i apologise if this may be a duplicate thread...
    I purchased a Panasonic DMRE50 approximately three years ago, the unit,however was riddled with problems,and i believe Panasonic instigated a recall,as mine was replaced at no extra cost to a DMRE55. It has been working fine until recently, the unit now,however, will not read RAM, and displays " Unable To Format" etc. In essence it will not read or record to any media irrespective of age. I was wondering if this model like it's predecessor has inherent faults,as most owners appear to have some problem of sorts after a year or two. I also owned a Yamaha dvd s80,which i believe was manufactured by Panasonic but badged Yamaha. This unit gave up the ghost after about two years, displaying "H07" messages,which i believe relate to the dvd drive. Does this mean,that certain Panasonic Dvd Recorders/Players are full of faults?

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The lens might need cleaning. Have you tried a DVD lens cleaner?

If you've got a smoker in the house the lens might need cleaning more thoroughly, but this would involve some dismantling to get at the lens. If you can't do it yourself, paying for someone else to do it is probably not worthwhile, it would be better to put the money towards a new unit.

3. thepacifier

thepacifier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers although there are no smokers in the house!!!
    will try a cleaner. Do i need a specific type?
    Standard Dvd or Ram Cleaner?

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I don't know the merits of different types. I used a Vivanco 15510 DVD LC 10 lens cleaner (shown here) when one of my E85s started producing errors when I inserted DVD-RAMs. I only needed to use it once and it cured the problem.

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I should add that the read errors were intermittent initially and gradually got worse. My E85 didn't suddenly stop reading DVD-RAMs altogether.

If your's stopped working suddenly it could be a different cause.

6. thewul

thewul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

H07 is spindle motor troubles if memory serves.
    Your Ram drive may be on its way out if a lens cleaner does not help. I would put your money towards a new one if thats the case.
    the E55 and E85 have psu problems and require a regualtor replacing( do a search there is a large thread on this somewhere) but other than that i believe they are quite reliable