Panasonic DMRE55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Crazy Snake Man, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Looking to upgrade from Philips 880 and after reading this forum and searching on old posts I am almost convinced to get this one (not too worried about HDD).

I have heard the editing on -r is better than +r (not really too worried about that though) what I really want is after the probs with reliability I NEED a recorder (for recording backus, cable and TV) that is reliable and I don't end up with tons of "coasters" - is the panny reliable and do you waste a lot of discs?

Also I have a laptop with -R and i want to backup my discs and I have heard that you can get a program to take off the copyright so you can record the disc with menus and scene selections - is that right?

:lease:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    First things first the Panasonic E55 is a reliable machine (most non-Philips are). However it may not be the best machine for you. The reason I say this depends on whether your laptop DVD drive is DVD-RAM compatible? If it is not then it might be prudent to look at options such as the Sony GX3 or Pioneer 220 which both write to DVD-RW that will be able to be read by your laptop drive. You will then be able to import onto your PC and author with menus etc (refer to the PC GUIDE thread at the top of this forum). If your DVD drive is DVD-RAM compatible then the E55 is a brilliant option!

There is no copyright on home recorded disks - accordingly there are a loads of PC authoring options. Have a look at the PC GUIDE sticky thread at the top of this forum.

3. Crazy Snake Man

Crazy Snake Man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply Rasczak .

I do not believe the laptop has dvdram (only dvd rec and dvd rom) so will check the review on the pioneer.

For the other part of my post I should have specified that this was to back up my film collection incase of the dreaded dvd rot!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Well yes there are programmes out there that will do that for you but I can't really give you the details as it is illegal unless you own the copyright. A Google search along the lines of 'DVD ripper' would probably get you going in the right direction though.