1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE55 RGB recording quality

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amackie, Dec 21, 2004.

1. amackie

amackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB recording quality on my Panasonic DMRE55 isn't what I'd expect from RGB input.

Setup:
    Philips OnDigital RGB Out > AV2 on the Panasonic E55 and then AV1 > TV AV1 (Panasonic TX28PS1). E55 AV1 and AV2 both set to 'RGB', as is TV AV1, and Philips freeview box.

When in standby - RGB loopthrough on E55 works correctly, and TV shows pin-sharp RGB picture. When E55 recording, quality degrades - some "tizziness" around graphics/logos - somewhat similar to composite quality pictures. Any suggestions, or is this the best it gets ?

Thanks,
    Andy.

2. yhtomit

yhtomit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did buy a Panasonic DMRE95 and the picture was sharp with Sky - Panny - TV
    without recording. When I recorded to HDD in highest resolution I found there was
    some distortion around edges etc. I particularly wanted to archive tennis matches from Sky+, and it didn't cope well with the court lines which weren't stable and
    had some fuzziness round them. Also I felt it lost depth in the image. I ended up
    swapping it for a Sony HX900, and although the editing is pretty poor, the image and recording quality upto and including 2 hours is very good indeed. I think over
    the 2 hour mark the panasonic is better, but this wasn't good enough for me.

3. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Andy, the most likely cause of this is that the machine is recording in a lower quality mode, LP or worse.

Make sure the machine is set to record in SP or XP mode and try again.

Use the big record button on the machine to start recording.
    The last puzzled person with a problem like this was making recordings from the Flexible Record option in the menus and not entering a sensible time (2 hours would do), resulting in the worst possible quality. :)

4. amackie

amackie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted - but in a rather strange manner. Here's what I did:

Re-checked settings in setup - everything was saying RGB, but recording wasn't looking as good as RGB should. Just to see the differences of different settings, I changed AV1 to Video, S-Video, then back to RGB, in that order. Exited setup each time to see what the picture looked like. Did the same for AV2 - Video, S-Video, then back to RGB, exiting setup each time. Having done all that, recording is now pin-sharp RGB (hurrah!) - despite settings ending up back to what they were before!

Strange. Perhaps there was a bug in the setup screen, which despite settings saying RGB the hardware wasn't picking up on that ? Who knows - perhaps I hallucinated and imagined it all.

Never mind, all sorted now!