Panasonic DMRE500HEBS owners please look in

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Mar 16, 2006.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was still trying to decide upon a Samsung 725 so had a look at Richer Sounds site to get the latest price when I found that this Panasonic is now down to £499!

I've searched this forum and Google but there is very little information out there.

So, does anyone have one of these and if so can you tell me a bit about it please?

Does the MP4 via SD card allow copying to the hard drive and does it play back divx/xvid AVI files?

What can you use the Ethernet port for?

What else can you tell me about it? Should I still consider it even though it's old and discontinued?

Thanks

Dave

2. puglet

puglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this unit for about one year. I paid 780.00 US for it. The PCM card is virtually useless as it only allows you to insert any PCM flash card reader to IMPORT files onto the hard drive. The SD card slot is only slight more useful as it does allow you to export MP4 files to the SD format -- but they wouldn't play on my PDA.

Networking via Ethernet is pretty limited too. It simply allows you to stream video off your hard drive (MP4) to another computer or television set somewhere in the house. You cannot program the TV guide menu from out of house ... at least I have not figured out how to do this.

Having said all that -- the quality of video is STUNNING... as good as the original! The editing of commercials out of recorded movies is fairly simple too. I can delete 45 minutes worth of advertising in a 2 hour movie in about 10 minutes.

TV Guide user interface is very reliable (though others have complained about it). I almost always have 8 days of tv grid available at all times. Only time this doesn't occur is when I forget to power OFF the unit overnight (the data is downloaded overnight -- not via the ethernet -- but via a sideband signal in the cable feed. Seems to work well.

All in all ... very happy with the unit. Just wish the SD and PCM slots were of more use.

Hope this helps.

pug

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, very nice of you to take the trouble, especially as it's your first post:smashin:

Dave

4. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Sorry to hijack your thread Dave but to "puglet" - What Quality of Mpeg4 does it handle? I have the DMRE100 and it cannot handle the high quality of Mpeg4 that my Digital Camera can take. I think the E100 can only do 320x240 at a low bits per second whereas my camera can do 640x480 at a highish bits per second (the exact figure escapes me now). Also "Puglet" where are you based? Could you try a SD card with my Mpeg4 file on it to see if the E500 recognises it?

THanks

Mel

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    My oh my. 45 mins of advertising in a 2 hour film. So that's the Canadian system - I thought ours was bad at around 15 to 18 minutes per two hours.

sparkybun : You can find the posters country of origin by clicking on their user name.

6. Humph

Humph
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a DMR-E500H and also the similar but less well endowed DMR-E100H.
    The DMR-E100H chose to hold a disc in its tray and go to perpetual Start Up mode for a couple of days. In the end an engineer friend of mine took it to bits, removed the disc and reassembled the machine. It's worked perfectly ever since.
    But while it was giving trouble I bought the DMR-E500 from Richer for £499. They later out the price up by £100. Bearing in mind the trouble I'd had with the other machine, I bought a 3 yr guarantee (against my principles!) because I thought that, if something similar went wrong, Richer would probably replace the machine (Panasonic charge such a high fee for examining these things that the idea must be to put you off returning one).
    After all that, I can't answer your questions because I don't use the machine in the way you describe.
    But it is superb value for money, huge hard disc, and I haven't any complaints about it except for the 'Self Check' on start-up which takes a minute and is irritating.:mad:
    The fact that it's not the latest model seems irrelevant since it does everything I want it to do. I make perfect DVDs with it every day, usually using the FR mode, which fits the material onto the disc in the highest possible quality.
    I'd recommend the machine as a bargain.

Humph:clap:

7. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    humph,

If i sent you a SD card in a SAE, could you see if you could read it/dub it to the Hard drive etc... and then send it back to me?

Cheers

Mel

8. puglet

puglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, can't offer an example of the highest quality mp4 files as I have no device that can play the files. If you like, I can record a few files at various bit rates and post them here.

Highest mp4 quality is xp -- which I believe is over 1000 kbps

9. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A pity, Richer Sounds doesn't deliver to outside Britain.