1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE50 vs Philips DVDR70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by seymourtitty, Nov 16, 2003.

1. seymourtitty

seymourtitty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to be a moron - this has probably already been answered a thousand times before but I can't find the answer.

I'm pretty sure that the DMRE50 is better than the DVDR70, but there is one problem (I think!) that is stopping me.

Am I right in thinking that the DMRE50 records on DVD-R only? And therefore u need to buy DVD-Rs??

Whereas the Philips uses DVD-RW format, meaning that you don't have to purchase lots and lots of blank DVDs to record on, as you can simply record over your previous recordings when you have finished with them, which is akin to video recording?

Is this a big issue/concern? I've seen the review and I know the DMRE50 gets 5 stars to the DVDR70's 4 stars, but surely DVD-R is a pain, meaning that you have to purchase lots of blank DVDs very regularly, if you do lots of recording?

Thanks for your help.

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The E50 uses DVD-RAM as its rewriteable media. DVD-RAM also allows the timeslip features which allow you to begin watching your recording before it's finished recording. Its only disadvantage is that you can't play DVD-RAM in most DVD players but it will of course play in the recorder itself. If you want to keep a recording that will play in other players, then you use DVD-R.

3. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the Philips machines use DVD+RW as its rewritable format which will play in most stand alone DVD players, although it doesnt have the timeslip function.

The choice is yours!