1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic dmre50 poor replays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by amancalledchip, Aug 15, 2003.

1. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I have one of the DMRE50 recorders and the playbak of a recorded program is , not as i had hoped.

In any mode, XP,SP,LP,EP i get a blocky picture.

Sometimes the blocks are white, or purple, sometimes the colour is correct, but can visibly see them.

Not very impressed at all.To be honest video quality is more watchable.

The unit is only 22 days old, and it had to be returned once already because it arrived and was not multi region.So it was sent back, and arrived back to me 5 days later.

is this the norm, have i set somthing in the menus incorrectly?

Electro centre where it came from , are reluctant to replace it, and
    want to send it to panasonic first for it to be repaiered/exchanged then send it back to me. I am very annoyed as i ordererd it through Discount Audio Vision, yet when it arrived it came from Electro centre.I live in Kent, DAV is in essex, yet Electro centre is in Birmingham , 160miles away.The reason i ordererd it from DAV was incase somthing like this happened, So needless top say i am a bit peeved.

Anyway , back to the dmre50, even on a brand new disc in XP mode i get these blocks.Anyone else having this problem.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    There is clearly something wrong - you shouldn't see a single block whatsoever on XP (given that it is the maximum allowable DVD bitrate). How have you got it hooked up to TV/Digibox/VCR? Are these blocks visible when not recording, i.e. watching through the E50? What is DVD-Video playback like (any of the symptoms visible there)? What are your connection settings set to in Functions/Settings/Connections (especially "AV1/AV2 Connections")?

3. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the recorded DVD Ram does this.Not tried a dvd-r in it yet Normal dvd films to watch are fine.
    Whilst watching the program i am recording all seems well, play it back and its blocky. av1 set to RGB av2 set to video.Have a telewest decoder box that has a scart going to av2. But even recording through the RF gives the same problems.Watching trough the box is not a problem. Seems to be upon playback of recorded programs only.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    It sounds as though the MPEG2 encoder is knackered. If DVD-Video playback is working it's not the unit's output (i.e. your settings are OK), likewise if watching TV through the unit (which doesn't go via the MPEG2 encoder). Therefore it's almost certainly the encoder. Don't try a DVD-R as you'll just waste the disk and the effect will be the same as the DVD-RAM.

Looks like you'll have to change the unit - if it's brand new why not just demand you money back and purchase a unit from someone reliable like RGB Direct (www.rgbdirect.co.uk)? Can't really be more positive than that - but it's fairly obviously broken given the glaring faults your reporting.

Once you get a working E50 post back because you can do alot better picture by connecting you Cable box to AV2 in RGB mode. But if your encoders broken that isn't going to be particularly useful going into that now...

5. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did try it in RGB, but all i got was a blank screen.So i put it back to video, as i thought it was somthing that needs sorting in one of the cable box menus.Did not really persue it as all i wanted was to sort the playback quality out first. I phoned panasonic help desk, and when i explained what it was doing they did not seem surprised.How ever the best Electro Centre are offering is a refund if a fault is found less £10+vat for the postage cost.Bearing in mind i have to pay another £10 to send it to them i am , to say the least unimpressed with them..Discount audio vision are a joke, cant even talk to anyone there.all they did was take my order, then order one from electro centre and get it sent to me.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    That does sound it pretty crap deal. Long time since I studied law but surely that must violate your Consumer rights? If a product is faulty it is not supposed to cost you. I assume you won't be using them again.

7. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damn right i wont be.!I wanted all my money back, but i will settle for as much as i can get now, besides in the last 3 weeks prices have come down, so i should be able to buy it elsewhere cheaper now.I paid 299 for it.Be Warned anyone , steer well clear of Discount Audio Vision and ElectroCentre.

8. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    amancalledchip. Seek advice from the consumer protection people about having to pay postage. I live not to far from the store you have purchased from.

Not the best part of Town and according to what I have heard (Grey imports and all that) I would at all costs get your money back and don't accept another machine from them. Ask your self what if the replacement goes wrong 6 months down the road. You could get through an awful lot of postage costs.

Sorry to say this but this is the main reason I would never if at all possible buy from an internet "Unknown to me" company. 20% re-stocking fees and all that bunk that most usually try to impose. Nah..Never.......

Shop around (Comet on line do attempt to price match pretty close to other internet companies. That's where I got my E30 from and only about £30 more than others at the time. Saving a few quid can cost a packet in the long run. Good luck. malcom.

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    amancalledchip

What brand discs are you using,or am I missing something?

10. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The genuine disc that came with it, Plus i ordererd 12 panasonic ones from avland ( Very good prices £45 for 12 delivererd)

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/lmaf120/index.htm

says 10 on the list screen , but is actually 12

Think thats a very good price myself.

11. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sound like the place you bought it from have cocked it up somewhere when chipping it then I'm afraid.

12. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Was a duff unit, sent it back to Electrocentre and they refund it straight away, which is a sort of result i suppose, Ordererd another from Letsgodigital more or less straight away. Its now here and the playback quality is superb.

Many thanks for the posts, BTW, anyone know how to get RGB connection from a Telewest Digital Pace Box?

13. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Pace RGB > E50 RGB Video In Scart?

14. amancalledchip

amancalledchip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had to click on tv guide, yellow button for customise, change it from composite to RGB. Sorted now, and all is well.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Recommend using a fairly decent Scart lead as well - QED for example - otherwise your seeing yourself off for PQ!