panasonic dmre50 not recording to ram any more but fine on -r, any ideas??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by billynewton, Sep 5, 2005.

1. billynewton

billynewton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dmre50 that up until about a month ago was working fine. It then systematically started to refuse to record on to Ram but still records to -r and plays anything fine.
    My ram disks are panasonics and they work fine in my dmre55.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Billy. :lease:

2. joffy1780

joffy1780

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Have you tried formatting the disc(s) on the e-50?

3. mcm

mcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

just wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem - my DMR-E50 has just exhibited the same behaviour - I can read any type of disk, i.e. CD, DVD-RAM, DVD, DVD-R and can record to DVD-R.

However, any attempt to write to DVD-RAM, e.g. recording, adding a disk/programme title, formatting, erasing, always results in the box re-setting and going into 'recover' mode.

This problem seems to have occured 'instantaneously' , i.e. all disks worked OK, and then all of a sudden I can't record to any DVD-RAM disk......

just curious if any one has found a solution to this problem, or is it a case buying a replacement.....

any comments appreciated,

cheers,

Martin

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

The lasers for DVD recorders are only rated at around 5000 hours before failure, that is the average time so some may fail much sooner, some will last much longer.

Also if the unit is keep in a smokey atmosphere, the optics can become dirty reducing the ability to read and write correctly. It may be worth trying a DVD lens cleaner but that may not bring any improvement.

If your RAM discs are completely clean and damage free there isn't much more you can do except consider the unit faulty.

Regards

Phil

5. mcm

mcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this info - I assume from your the above comment that different lasers are used for the different format etc.

cheers

Martin

6. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same prob with my E85. I bought a DVD lens cleaner and so far no more trouble.

7. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same laser, different power levels. the more power the laser produces the harder it is to keep the spot size & focus in check so DVD-RAM is usually the first to fail as the machine ups the power to compensate for the dust & dirt.