1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE-95 plays DVD+R disks - How and why ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by FF99, Apr 24, 2005.

1. FF99

FF99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just bought a Pany 95 which seems a great machine. Like its predecessor it is billed very specifically as not playing DVD+R.

However as most of my existing disks are +R (Imation) burned on my computer, I thought I would try them. They play perfectly.

How and why is this and I am doing any harm to the Pany playing them ?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Most DVD players/recorders will play DVD-RW (Video Mode), DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD+R discs even though many say they won't. The fact is their is very little physically different between + and - formats other than which companies get the royalties from disc sales. Accordingly most machines will play the formats of their competitors even if they haven't been designed to do so. You aren't doing any damage to your machine!

The notable exception is, of course, DVD-RAM which is physically different and DVD-RW (VR Mode) which has a different file structure.

3. FF99

FF99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you. It seems curious that Pany should deliberately understate the abilities of their machines. I was put of buying a Pany for some time because it would billed as not playing +R. I wonder if I am the only one ?