1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE 500 Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tabatha, Nov 8, 2004.

1. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what can/can't be done with the network port on the DMRE500? The Panasonic website is not very helpful (or maybe I am not looking in right place - I couldn't find a manual).

Can one stream an MPEG movie from a Windows networked PC? Can you transfer to and from the hard disc in the 500 to a networked PC? Any info much appreciated.

2. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello Tabatha, don't tell me you've added to you HD/DVD brood with the DMRA 500 ? I was flicking through the review of said recorder this morning in the latest issue of Home Cinema Choice and seemed to remember reading that it didn't allow and/or recognise files from a connected windows PC. Perhaps you should go pick up a copy or do the the cheap thing like me and just read the review in WHS !

Muzza1 :smashin:

3. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet! - I'm still looking for a model that can be networked and when I do, it will be added to the brood!

Many thanks for the pointer to the mag. Unfortunately, I generally find magazine reviews pretty lacking when it comes to detailed information. They mostly seem to spend their time explaining what a HD/DVD/PVR recorder is, tell you the number of Scarts and then give pretty meaningless scores which are based on the personal view of the reviewer rather than being based on any technical parameters. I shall have a browse at my local newsagent though.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    This one includes a information box with everything you need to know about the Networking issue. Might be worth you picking it up if you want more info.

The E500 networking is quite limited I'm afraid. You can watch programmes stored on the E500 HDD, edit titles, view JPEGs and MPEG4. No internet EPG has been enabled unfortunately :( Perhaps in the next generation?

5. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys, this is my first post for a while, have been out of all things AV for some time, but with xmas round the corner the bug has bitten again. Am very interested in the E500 and have read the review in HCC, is it available yet and if so, who has the best deal? cheers

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is certainly "in stock" at several internet shops - I doubt if you find it in a Dixons/Currys/Comet though!

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    £1,300 seems like a hell of a lot of money for a dvd player that doesn't have HDMI or DVI. There'll probably be a newer version in 6 months as seems to be the turnaround for new equipment these days. :rolleyes:

8. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks - i see av-sales have it at £1019, don't say whether it's in stock though? i agree it's a lot of money, i basically want something with at least 160gb, and where i can archive my old vhs tapes and camcorder dv tapes onto dvd-r - e500 seems to be the best. the sd card slot is a nice bonus too

9. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tabatha :smashin:

Bought today from KK Electronics, can't wait to try it out tonight - anyone out there have one of these and have any views / pointers for me?

cheers

11. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're waiting for people like you to be the "guinea pigs". We will be most interested to hear you plus and minus points once you have had time to get used to it.

12. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a bloody good machine, but if you need a guinea pig then i'm sure I can help :D
    The Ethernet is mainly to allow access via external video equipment to the MPEG2 recordings even via WiFi, although it does have a lot of PC accessable options too, one of the very usefull ones being the ability to rename the program titles via a PC which is well needed when you've got a whole months worth of recording time to play with.

13. Doug

Doug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,will start a new thread to do this