1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMRE-50 RGB problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jurassicmark, Jul 10, 2003.

1. jurassicmark

jurassicmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read about similar problems on DMRE-30s but not quite the same as this one. When I record to the Panny thru AV2 using RGB input I get a picture tearing problem that only occurs on fast changing scenes such as Front Row previews or especially on Canal+ multi-coloured banner before the start of a program. Not only does it record like that, it also loops thru onto the picture output when monitoring AV2 thru Av1 output. I have tried almost double figures on Scart cables and fed it from 2 digital satellite receivers and a Cable tv box all with RGB on but always get this on fast changing input.
    The fault does not occur with everything set to composite or S-Video. Anyone else got this or have I got a crap one. It is a Multiregional version but this should not make a difference.

Also it seems to lock up the TV in terms of grabbing the AV input even when its on standby. Again this cant be right, can it?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Almost double figures? To get the most out of an RGB to DVD Recorder connection you need to invest in a quality connection. IMHO the QED range provide the best value versus performance compromise - but expect to pay around £50 for a 1m Scart to Scart. I can assure you it's worth the one off cost so that everything you archive is top notch. However unless your using a really, really awful cable then this probably isn't the cause of your problem.

Well I can assure you that shouldn't happen so something is obviously wrong. Have you verified that the Sky digibox is indeed set to RGB? Have you ensured both AV1 and AV2 are set to RGB on the Panny? Do you get the same problem if you connect the Digibox directly to the TV (with it set for RGB), i.e. removing the E50? What is RGB playback on the E50 like, i.e. does it have the same 'smearing' when playing back a DVD-Video?

If you could just check these it may help diagnose the problem.

3. jurassicmark

jurassicmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,
    Right where do I start, the source equipment that I have tried was all set to RGB, I have tried Digital Cable, 2 Manhattan Digital Satellite boxes and a DVD player, all set to RGB and all connected separately with a multitude of cables (some half decent and some crap ones, but all fully wired). All these boxes when connected separately and in a serial arrangement, give good RGB pictures on the TV. They also give the same high quality RGB pictures when they are all looped together into the Pannys AV2 and out thru the AV1 when the DMR50 is in standby mode. The problem only arises when I switch on the E50 and it forces its way to the screen.
    When I switch to the E50s AV2 source the problems start. The problem is apparent no matter what setting you use on the AV1 so I doubt if its to do with AV1 but I am looking for a fast moving pre-recorded DVD to test RGB to the TV independently of the recording / AV input side of things. The AV2 input has no problem what so ever when connected in Composite and S-video modes (its a shame that all my equipment cant output S-video thru scart or I might have been tempted to use this.). When I switch to RGB there is a pleasing improvement in quality and everything looks OK. Its only when really fast full screen changing scenes start the problem occurs. I wondered If it was a problem with the Mpeg encoder because I also have a Philips DVD880 which actually shows the AV2 input out thru AV1 when its been thru the encoder so that the picture quality that you see if the quality that you get, i.e. when changing compression rates (HQ, SP, LP, EP,), but due to there being no time lag in the Panasonics output I don't think it does this until you start recording something.
    So with the DVD-Video test pending, which I am not expecting to throw up any problems, it would seem that when I switch to RGB input on AV2 there is a genuine fault which I would say is an hardware rather than software fault. I think I will put some test footage onto the DVD-RAM and send it back. It such a pain when things go wrong on Internet electrical purchases but then again it was £160 cheaper than Curry's and Mutli region out of the box so you pays your money and takes your chances.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    Your correct. Whereas the Philips machine re-encodes what your watching the Panny just loops through (meaning you can set to EP quality and still watch a full quality picture).

By the sound of it there could well be a hardware fault. Maybe the socket itself is damaged? There usefulness is fairly hit and miss but why not give Panasonic support a call on 08705 357357 and see if they can offer advice. Also check out there support centres:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/shops/sdealer.asp

If it is a cheap fix maybe there is one in your vicinity that may save you the hassle of returning it.

5. jurassicmark

jurassicmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we are agreed upon an hardware fault but I will try Panasonic first as you suggest. Just one thought though, if it is a damaged socket then why does it RGB loop thru without fault but the E50 monitoring mode cause a problem?

6. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    jurrasicmark,

on the chance your still around, or anyone with any further information on this.

Ive just purchased an e50, and have exactly the problem described in the first post. E50 set to RGB on AV1 and AV2, Digibox outputting RGB via TVout to AV2 on e50. With e50 on, either looping through or on playback of recorded image, fast edits or cuts to new scenes cause a tear. Sometimes worse than others, it seems to be most noticeable on advert breaks obviously i guess.

It does not occur if e50 is in standby and looping through.

Its fine with VIDEO in rather than RGB.

I took these 4 jpgs with frame advance to illustrate the effect on a playback. This seems a bad one, usually its a simple tear as its doing in 2.

DVD-Video(films etc) playback is fine.

Frustrating as most of the time its excellent.

Attached Files:

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I had some probs with an E50, like snow falling, exchanged with no probs.

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happened then guys, did you exchange your systems or have we found a workaround?

9. jurassicmark

jurassicmark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arith,

I sold the Multi region version a bought a R2 version. This did not have the problem so I thinks its probably down to the Modchip. I know have a new problem in that when I turn the machine on, the picture is black and white for a few seconds and then its sorts its self out. Funnily enough I have a Panasonic tu-dsb20 skydigibox that does the same thing but strangely this only happens in Composite mode and not RGB. Therefore I think this problem is down to Panasonics' output on both machines.

Is your machine multi region?

10. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ah thanks for replying JM.

Yes, my machine is Multiregion, although according to Digital Point/Electro Centre it is software only so it hasnt been "modded". They do this with a service remote or something(not sure, i think thats how it is with SONY's now anyway)?

Anyway, after 3 days of calling DP and Panasonic, spoke to an engineer this afternoon, who had never come across the problem before. My box is going to be swapped out by them for another, which obviously is going to come back R2 i suppose. We shall see what happens then..If its fine i then have a new dilemna of do i get it made Mutiregion again <sigh>. I cant live without a Multiregion machine, too many R1's in the collection. Didnt really want 2 machines in the set up.

Or sell it and splash out for a SONY dvd recorder.

My Digibox is an early Amstrad DrX100(slow butt-ugly piece of crap)

11. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Arith, what happened to your E50, does it work OK now.
    I have exactly the same problem - tearing during fast cust scenes. multi-region and driving me nuts!
    I guess its going back to the shop.
    Azzo.

12. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, updating this now its finally been sorted, 3 months of hell after buying a E50.

As mentioned in another thread, the E50 came back from Panasonic, who said they found no fault. There still was.

Took E50 round to my Uncles, who has a different Digibox(Panasonic), and hooked it up. The flicker problem was not apparent. At all.

Bought a new Panasonic dsb40 digibox to replace my Amstrad early one. The E50 is working fine with it.

Issue resolved, at great length and extra cost, although still unknown as to the actual technical cause. Some digiboxes exhibit the problem with E50, and HS2 for that matter, some don't.

Amusingly,,,i paid for my amstrad digibox to be refurbished last year, as it had developed a fault(unrelated).

13. dpiper

dpiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arith,

Good to hear you've sorted the problem with you're E50. As I've said on this forum I'm having the exact same problem with my HS2 using an Amstrad Sky Digibox.

I was thinking of taking up the SKY+ offer and given that you think the problem lies with the digibox and not the DVD recrder, I was wondering if you know if anyone has had the same problem of picture tear using the SKY+ box.

P.S What make is the standard SKY+ box? Is it anygood? Can you pay more and get a better quality box?

Anyones' views on this are very welcome.

Thanks

Dave

14. Arith

Arith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi dpiper,

Unfortunately, i have no experience or knowledge of anyone using the SKY+ and E50, so cannot comment.

15. Sie

Sie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with a Panasonic dsb20 and the E-30 which I solved by getting a Sky+ V2.

HTH