Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Panasonic DMR95 & NTL Cable

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by 1439nick, Jun 13, 2005.

1. 1439nick

1439nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since buying my dvd recorder i have noticed the TV signal fed through the dvd-r's tuner is not as good as the TV on its own, so i am thinking of signing up for a year to NTL digital cable on the 3 (broadband, telephone and TV) for £30 a month deal.

Has anyone had any experinence of recording from NTL with the panasonic.... i'm asuming you would use a scart from settop box to AV2 (rgb in) on the recorder and scart AV1 to television.

Can i expect a far superior picture than the nornal TV, has anyone had any problems to report? Thanks in advance.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Yes you can record the RGB signal from NTL and the pass thru quality is transparent.

On the whole the picture quality is better on NTL and it's in true widescreen, although football i ssometimes better on analog.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have a DMR95 and about six months ago I ditched NTL digital cable for two reasons: the EPG was so slow that it was unusable and the picture quality was pretty cr@p on most channels. I bought a good Freeview box and the picture quality is much, much better. I believe from reading several posts here that NTL compress their video more than Freeview do which would explain the quality difference, but there were also more signal drops on NTL than I've had with Freeview.

Can't fault the broadband though. It used to suffer from frequent problems but for about a year now they seem to have got their act together.

If you went for NTL TV then the best Scart set-up is as you describe. Whether the picture is better than your TV's off-air picture will depend partly on how good your TV's tuner and picture processor are and how good your signal is. If the answer to all those is "good" then NTL won't be noticeably better except on "premium" channels like BBC 1. On the "cheapo" cable-only channels it'll probably be worse as they're more heavily compressed, but then again you can't watch those channels on normal TV.

4. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had the same problem recently, but it wasn't caused by the recorder. It was actually the cheap and nasty RF cable from the recorder to the TV. This is recognisable by high-numbered channels being degraded more than low-numbered channels. A decent cable solved the problem.

Another thing to consider is the quality of your aerial, and whether it's pointing in the right direction. A decent aerial can make a big difference, and doesn't have on-going monthly charges. Just shoo the birds away occasionally.