Panasonic DMR85H / Freeview reception bad

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aidanward, Feb 28, 2005.

1. aidanward

aidanward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the following equipment:

Hitachi 32PD5000 plasma TV (only 1 scart).
    Panasonic DMR85H DVDR.
    Panasonic Video Recorder.
    Bush Freeview box.

I would like to be able to record freeview through the DVD but cannot get it to tune in to the Freeview channels. Due to only 1 scart on the TV, The DVDR is connected via component cables. I have tried: RF into F/V box - RF out box into RF in DVDR - RF out DVDR into RF in TV; Scart out F/V box to Scart TV, Scart out F/V box to Scart in (AV2) DVDR and all is "snow" except for main 4 terrestrial channels.

Does anybody have any ideas please?

ps I would also, at some later date transfer my videos to DVD but perhaps best to walk before running!!

2. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The E85 only has an analogue tuner and can only receive the analogue channels. It will not decode Freview for you.

The best set up, imo, would be to go Freeview Scart out (RGB capable if possible) to DVDR AV2 (also RGB selected) then use component or Scart from DVDR to TV. To record the Freeview channel you are watching select AV2 on the DVDR and away you go. NB you cannot record a different Freeview channel to the one you are watching for the reason mentioned above.

The advantage of connecting to the plasma with scart is that it allows the freeview signal to passthrough when the E85 is off, component upconversion requires the E85 to be on, but is probably the better solution for a plasma. You could try connecting both to get the best of both worlds, but I'm not sure if this will cause problems with the TV receiving both signals.

Re VCR archive I found the best option for me is to connect the VCR out to the DVDR AV4 (on back) via a scart to 3 phono plug lead. If VCR has S-video this would be even better. (Could use AV3 on the front but cables are then visible).

HTH

Wackojacko32

PS I have the E65 which is basically the same as the E85 without the HDD but with a few extra connections.

3. aidanward

aidanward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh Booger!!

As the DVDR is only a couple of months old, why in God's name is it not capable of receiving digital channels? More irritatingly, why didn't the smarmy git at the store warn me?

By the way I tried your tack on the Scart / AV2 record scenario - Still main 4 and not C5 (sometimes a blessing!).

4. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the salesman is more at fault than Panasonic (assuming you told him of this requirement).

Fact is it's not really viable for manufacturers to create models for global sale but then include a Freeview tuner which is unique to UK market (though I see France is launching terrestrial dvb this week). Conversely analogue tuners differ only in the tuning range. Would also add to cost to have analogue and digital tuners included (cos some people can't receive digital, or their antenna isn't up to it).

Having said that Sony offers a model with integrated freeview, but I think it's dvd only. The other manufacturers aren't rushing to match them so it can't be that attractive a proposition.

Frustrating I know. Analogue doesn't do justice to the E85 or any decent recorder. Personally I record either off a Viera output or a separate freeview box via the AV2.

Oh and I've been busy transferring videos (mostly kids' stuff or I'd just junk them!) via the front sockets.

5. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This shouldn't make any difference to the DVDR analogue tuner if the aerial is connected. Have you checked what RF output the E85 is on? It may be that this is on the same fequency as CH5 so it cant tune to it. Press and hold functions button to see what this is on and change if it clashes with CH5 frequency.

BTW there is talk of DVDR's with Freeview in the next couple of months, just search the forums as this is quite a hot topic.

Wackojacko32

6. aidanward

aidanward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha!!

Sussed it. Unlike viewing tv throught the DVD, by changing the channel on the DVD remote, you change to AV2 and change channels on the freeview remote - the trick, is you have to trust the DVD is receiving the same signal you are seeing, as there is no way of telling (the DVD display just says "R2").

So now that is sorted out, and I have used all my scart sockets on the DVDR, where do I put my video input (polite suggestions only) to allow recording tape to disc? The video only has scart out plus a separate audio out, the DVDR has Svideo, video and audio in. Is there a scart / svideo conversion lead?

7. Wackojacko32

Wackojacko32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect that your video is not S-vhs compatible as it would have an s-video socket so a scart to s-video lead would be useless. Get a scart to 3 phono plug lead and plug it in the yellow, red and white sockets on the back of the E85 (AV4). Make sure the lead is for video out and not in, or is switchable.

Wackojacko32

8. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As Wacko says use a scart > 3 x phono lead (its what I use) setting the AV4 input to video (NOT s-video).

As far as trusting that the recorder is recording what you are seeing, it has to be as the box can only output one channel (the one you have selected on it). This channel will be output from the scart socket and maybe (if your box has an RF modulator) via its co-ax output as well.