• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Panasonic DMR75 problem (or is it?..)

james888

Standard Member
Hi,
I would be grateful if someone could advise on this: My Panasonic DMR-EX75EB often won't record for more than a few seconds.
It does one of 4 things:
a.) It won't record for more than about a minute (the record light stays on but the playback of the recording just goes blank after a minute or so, even on a long recording)
b.) It records ok!
c.) It sometimes (not very often) says 'NoRec' in the display and won't record (No mention of 'NoRec' in the operating manual)
d.) When viewing the recording thumbnails there is sometimes two small squares in the corner, one on top of the other, the top one with an x on it (in the manual this means 'cannot be recorded,title protected')

I've just had a new satellite system installed, this was recording a couple of sports programmes on Hotbird, recording Sky digital seems OK.
Do I presume some channels send out a signal which stops recording of the channel (the 'title protected' thing suggests that, but that isn't always there), or is there a fault with the DMR Panasonic? Thing is I've had it for a few years and this is a new problem, albeit seemingly intermittent. Just to make it worse one of the channels doing this will record OK another time I try it, which would suggest the box? Driving me mad anyway!!
Thankyou.

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,
I would be grateful if someone could advise on this: My Panasonic DMR-EX75EB often won't record for more than a few seconds.
It does one of 4 things:
a.) It won't record for more than about a minute (the record light stays on but the playback of the recording just goes blank after a minute or so, even on a long recording)
b.) It records ok!
c.) It sometimes (not very often) says 'NoRec' in the display and won't record (No mention of 'NoRec' in the operating manual)
d.) When viewing the recording thumbnails there is sometimes two small squares in the corner, one on top of the other, the top one with an x on it (in the manual this means 'cannot be recorded,title protected')

I've just had a new satellite system installed, this was recording a couple of sports programmes on Hotbird, recording Sky digital seems OK.
Do I presume some channels send out a signal which stops recording of the channel (the 'title protected' thing suggests that, but that isn't always there), or is there a fault with the DMR Panasonic? Thing is I've had it for a few years and this is a new problem, albeit seemingly intermittent. Just to make it worse one of the channels doing this will record OK another time I try it, which would suggest the box? Driving me mad anyway!!
Thankyou.

Welcome to the forum jamess888

I doubt there is any problem with the machine. I think your surmise is almost certainly correct that it is copy protection of one form or another that is causing the behaviour.

The protection will be programme dependent rather than channel dependent which is why some will work and others not.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom