Panasonic DMR-PWT550 PVR Archive facility - What is this exactly, Can I copy a Blu-ray to its HD?

Kenny UK

Hi

I have a Panasonic DMR-PWT550 PVR and I understand it has a "Archive" function.
A google search has not brought up any meaningful explanation so..

Does this "Archive" function allow for a copy of a DVD or Blu-ray to be made to the PVR's HD so it can be played back at any time?

I recently received for my birthday a rather expensive (and very hard to find) limited edition 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray steel box set of my all time favorite movie and the collector geek in me screams not to play it very often so as to keep the disc as mint as possible.

So the idea of being able to play it just once to make an "Archive" copy would be massively appealing however, if the unit does indeed have this function how does it physically make the archive copy?

Does it merely make some kind of video file of the main movie feature (which in terms of storage size would be large as it is) of does it make a physical copy of the whole Blu-ray including all of the menus and various audio streams? My limited understanding is that such a copy could run in 40-50 GB or more>

I am hoping to gain some understanding from the good folk of this forum.

Many thanks.

volvofan

I dont think that works for commercial movies,might work using your own home recordings.This unit wont play 4K Ultra HD discs in the first place.The archive function is for FreeviewHD recordings to be stored on an external USB HDD,which can only be used while connected to this one recorder only and is completely unusable anywhere else.

Gavtech

Administrator
Can DVDs be played whilst recording tv to HHD?
The limitation whilst recording are given as :

Following contents or media cannot be played back while recording.

- video file
- photo​
- USB HDD (For data files, and USB memory​
• Copying cannot be performed while recording.​
• When “Automatic Standby after OTR” is set to “On” this unit is turned to standby mode if this unit is not operated for approximately 5 minutes after completing “Automatic Stop” or “Recording Time”​

...from which I conclude that Yes - you can play DVD's whilst recording.
Incidentally - You can also playback titles recorded on the HDD whilst recording to it.

lds1

The limitation whilst recording are given as :

Following contents or media cannot be played back while recording.

- video file
- photo​
- USB HDD (For data files, and USB memory​
• Copying cannot be performed while recording.​
• When “Automatic Standby after OTR” is set to “On” this unit is turned to standby mode if this unit is not operated for approximately 5 minutes after completing “Automatic Stop” or “Recording Time”​

...from which I conclude that Yes - you can play DVD's whilst recording.
Incidentally - You can also playback titles recorded on the HDD whilst recording to it.
Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom