Panasonic DMR-HWT250 channels not updating

NickHallas

Novice Member
Reaction score
My Panasonic DMR-HWT250 is now prompting me to re-scan channels whenever it turns on, and although there are no problem messages and it all appears to run through the scan as expected, it doesn't seem to actually update.

Similarly, if I make changes to a favourites configuration, and save it, again nothing actually seems to change. I've tried setting up new favourite set; same problem.

As a result of this, I'm starting to lose channels (presumably because they've shifted) - Channel 4 has now completely gone!

Rest of the machine seems to work fine; record, playback etc.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix this? Preferably without losing all my recordings :)?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

More often this message is a 'false' alert and you can turn the feature off in the menu system.

It arises when the unit is picking up transmissions from more than one transmitter.
This fools the machine into thinking there are fresh channels available when in fact they are just a duplicate set of channels.

The loss of channel 4 may be due to a variety of possible causes.
Channel loss usually requires a little bit of analysis and will usually require knowing which transmitter you receive from ( or are supposed to receive from)

On that issue you should get some useful help to sort the problem out in the Freeview section, so I will move this thread to that location.

Welcome to the forum.

More often this message is a 'false' alert and you can turn the feature off in the menu system.

It arises when the unit is picking up transmissions from more than one transmitter.
This fools the machine into thinking there are fresh channels available when in fact they are just a duplicate set of channels.

The loss of channel 4 may be due to a variety of possible causes.
Channel loss usually requires a little bit of analysis and will usually require knowing which transmitter you receive from ( or are supposed to receive from)

On that issue you should get some useful help to sort the problem out in the Freeview section, so I will move this thread to that location.
I don't think it's the tuning process. That appears to go OK. Channel 4 appears in the list of detected channels, but when that list is saved, it still doesn't appear on the Guide as a channel. (Actually, I can still get Channel4+1).

I think its the PVR failing to save the updated tuning information to disc/memory (however it's stored), as if I manually delete a channel from a favourites list and save it, the channel isn't removed, it stays in the favourites list. Hence presumably the reason whenever I turn on that is says I need to re-scan, is because it hasn't remembered that I have re-scanned.

I would start with the basics - first check you're on the latest firmware (which appears to be Version 1.22, dated Feb 2019) and then do a factory reset to 'shipping condition' to properly reset the box. I don't have a Panasonic PVR but it's usually possible to do this without losing your recordings - just pay attention to any warning messages that would suggest otherwise and make sure to avoid any 'reformat HDD' options.

Even if you don't think the tuning process is the issue, it would be good to eliminate this from the list of possible causes. Automatic scans (for example) can pick up duplicate channels which can cause problems with PVRs, so I would recommend scanning manually. If the PVR wants to do an automatic scan by default during the initial set-up process and you can't avoid it, then simply cancel it as soon as it starts (hit Exit, Back or whatever option you have).

To do a manual scan, first put your postcode and house number into the checker on this site, pick your transmitter from the table and scan the UHF channels manually (usually 6-7 of them) one at a time ('N' in your transmitter's coverage table). If you don't know which transmitter you use, I would start with the closest one which has the best results (the coverage table with the most green entries) - this may be the 'most likely' option but not always, especially if you have a local relay transmitter like I do that broadcasts a smaller number of channels.

When you're tuning, pay attention to the signal strengths of the UHF channels you're tuning to - hopefully they're good ?

Once you have your channels tuned in, I would go into the Freeview tuning options and turn off the 'new channels found' warning message option. I always turn this option off on my Panasonic TVs because I find it unreliable and an annoyance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom