Panasonic DMR-HWT130 wont stay on correct setting

melifair

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum- so am not sure if this is the right place to post?! But I just bought a Panasonic HDD recorder DMR-HWT130. I have a 6 year old Toshiba TV. Only in reading a previous post on this forum answered by Gavtech (who seems a total genius!) was I able to do the set up - as he, not the manual, explained you had to select HDMI on the 'av' button of the remote. So, I happily got that far. Now my problem is that it seems I can't 'stay' on the ability to bring up the Guide, or the Pause Live TV..(I haven't even tried other things) - each time I have to press the little 'av' button on the remote, choose HDMI and then I can go to Guide etc. But next thing I know - its not possible, the 'av' option has gone back to 'TV' and all I can do is change channels from the remote.
I wondered if it was the matching of the remote to the TV - so tried to enter the Toshiba code (1657?)- but nothing happens - in pushing the tv button similtaneously as advised - it just turns off the tv or recorder.
arghhhhhh!!!!! Any help possible very welcome!!! Thanks so much!
PS sorry this was first posted as a reply to another thread - which it is not!

Hi I'm new to the forum- so am not sure if this is the right place to post?! But I just bought a Panasonic HDD recorder DMR-HWT130. I have a 6 year old Toshiba TV. Only in reading a previous post on this forum answered by Gavtech (who seems a total genius!) was I able to do the set up - as he, not the manual, explained you had to select HDMI on the 'av' button of the remote. So, I happily got that far. Now my problem is that it seems I can't 'stay' on the ability to bring up the Guide, or the Pause Live TV..(I haven't even tried other things) - each time I have to press the little 'av' button on the remote, choose HDMI and then I can go to Guide etc. But next thing I know - its not possible, the 'av' option has gone back to 'TV' and all I can do is change channels from the remote.
I wondered if it was the matching of the remote to the TV - so tried to enter the Toshiba code (1657?)- but nothing happens - in pushing the tv button similtaneously as advised - it just turns off the tv or recorder.
arghhhhhh!!!!! Any help possible very welcome!!! Thanks so much!
PS sorry this was first posted as a reply to another thread - which it is not!

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe suggests that your TV, given its vintage, may not be fully compatible with the modern automatic HDMI controls ... so I suggest turning off the 'VIERA Link' setting and hopefully once you have made your selection it should remain.

You should find the setting in Functions / Setup / Connection / HDMI Connection / Viera Link.

Change the setting to 'OFF'

thanks so very much for your suggestion! It ALMOST worked...in that the 'HDMI' status will hold (please excuse my concocted terms for these things...but I am a 68 year old granny!) within the time the tv is On. If I turn the TV off, and then on again...the 'av' setting has returned to 'TV' rather then HDMI. I suppose thats not a lot of trouble to switch it every time the TV is on - but having just spent the money for the HDD (and a separate multi-region DVD player) I was hoping for easiness of operation! If it is all because the TV is ancient (Toshiba 19AV615) - should I just give in and get a new TV? I am so appreciative of your help! Thanks again

thanks so very much for your suggestion! It ALMOST worked...in that the 'HDMI' status will hold (please excuse my concocted terms for these things...but I am a 68 year old granny!) within the time the tv is On. If I turn the TV off, and then on again...the 'av' setting has returned to 'TV' rather then HDMI. I suppose thats not a lot of trouble to switch it every time the TV is on - but having just spent the money for the HDD (and a separate multi-region DVD player) I was hoping for easiness of operation! If it is all because the TV is ancient (Toshiba 19AV615) - should I just give in and get a new TV? I am so appreciative of your help! Thanks again

(Apologies it has taken me so long to respond. I have had very little available time recently)

The Channel or input that the TV switches onto when it is switched on will be entirely down to the TV itself.

On some TV's this can be an optional setting, unfortunately I am not familiar with your TV so I don't know if it is one of them.

You could check in the manual or search its menu's to see if a switch on preference is available.

If I get an opportunity I will see if I can find a manual for your set.

many thanks for your help and time spent - I appreciate it so much. I find it is not a lot of bother to just push the remotes button to get back on to the HDMI setting - so until I get a new TV - it is now really fine. You helped me so much and thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom