Question Panasonic DMR-HWT130 recording - anything worth trying?

eludlow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there - I've one of these that has fried itself. Not too bothered about the unit itself, but I've extracted the HDD with the hope of salvaging some recordings. However a bit of Google reveals this is unlikely to work. I've connected the drive up to a various machines and am not seeing anything.

Is it beyond hope?

Thanks!

I'm afraid it probably is.

These drives are very much tied to the original box.

It would have been a better strategy to try to fix the box first, because I fear than now the HDD has been introduced to other devices it will no longer function in the original box even if you could fix it.

The likely outcome would be that the machine would say the HDD must be re-formatted which would trash all recordings.

It is famously difficult and time consuming to extract recordings from these devices.
It can be done with a great deal of effort and a steep learning curve involving hex editing, and you usually end up with many recording fragments that need to be pieced together.

Rarely worth the trouble - but no doubt rewarding.

Thanks for responding. This is pretty much what I'd deduced, and certainly I don't have the time or inclination to spend too long trying to to this - they're only recordings of TV progs I'll probably never watch anyway.

Oh well, was worth a look. The innards of the original box were so fried that I'd need more electronic knowledge than I've got anyway to try and revive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom